Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:01 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Right?

Why not google it yourself before posting that? Just made that **** up MS13. That's my new go-to answer for city-data from now on. Every city you don't like just say that it's been overrun by MS13.
You're reaching here, and fabricating, actually. If you can show me another city I said was overrun by MS13, please quote it. My point was, the only time I ever saw Richmond in the news, was regarding MS13...that's the truth, and I posted a couple of links. It's not a city I think about, any more than you think about Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:04 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I didn't feel like Pgh has a demonstrable edge in functionality of highly urban neighborhoods. Only that Pgh has "more" highly urban neighborhoods...

Rich's core is both highly pedestrian and transit friendly. I'd assume MSP is right in the same range of functional urbanity, with more highly urban neighborhoods, as just like Pgh it's a significantly larger city than Rich so you expect there to be more. Functionally though, I don't think there's a large gap from Rich to Pgh...
Richmond is very dense and attractive with many attractive row-home streets in its core make the city very pedestrian friendly. The city is large enough to host a short form of LRT rapid transit, as does larger neighbor Norfolk/Tidewater with its 7.4 mile line (the Tide LRT). But as nice as Richmond is, it's just not in the same big-city league as MSP or Cleveland.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:33 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Richmond is very dense and attractive with many attractive row-home streets in its core make the city very pedestrian friendly. The city is large enough to host a short form of LRT rapid transit, as does larger neighbor Norfolk/Tidewater with its 7.4 mile line (the Tide LRT). But as nice as Richmond is, it's just not in the same big-city league as MSP or Cleveland.
For every rider in Richmond there are 3.6 in Pittsburgh (per capita). Places like Oakland and Downtown Pittsburgh likely wouldn’t function without the transit system. Maybe Downtown Minneapolis would fit the bill here too. But nowhere else.

Pittsburgh is about 2x higher than Cleveland and about 1.5x higher than Minneapolis.

Also doesn’t Richmond have BRT not LRT?

Plus Oakland, the Southside Flats, Downtown Pittsburgh, the Strip District, Polish Hill And Central North Side are significantly larger than Downtown Richmond and the Fan.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
For every rider in Richmond there are 3.6 in Pittsburgh (per capita). Places like Oakland and Downtown Pittsburgh likely wouldn’t function without the transit system. Maybe Downtown Minneapolis would fit the bill here too. But nowhere else.

Pittsburgh is about 2x higher than Cleveland and about 1.5x higher than Minneapolis.

Also doesn’t Richmond have BRT not LRT?

Plus Oakland, the Southside Flats, Downtown Pittsburgh, the Strip District, Polish Hill And Central North Side are significantly larger than Downtown Richmond and the Fan.
Yes, Richmond has BRT...

You just named a thousand districts/neighborhoods in Pgh and comparatively said they are significantly larger than two areas in Richmond lol. Did you just name what would be considered the entirety of Pgh's urban core? That would be the only way to measure this, as The Fan and Downtown Rich aren't the entirety of core Richmond; however I'm obviously on record as knowing Pgh is gonna come out larger...

I'd like to compare the functional urbanity in the core, what all is considered core Pgh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Peak density in the group of 1-million+ cities here are as follows:

Minny ~36.6k/ppsm
Pgh ~25.7
Rich ~19.3
Cleveland ~17.7

Followed by a number of areas that peak in the range of:

Minny ~16.9-26.1
Pgh ~17-22
Rich ~12-17.8
Cleveland ~12-14.3

Upon spending time in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, one of my initial impressions was that neither were demonstrably more urban than Richmond, and was actually quite a surprise to me. Now obviously there's a gradient of urbanity, so I felt like Pgh was noticeably a notch above both on the urban gradient...

My opinion hasn't changed, and I think Cleveland and Richmond are more similar on urban scale than dissimilar, and Pgh has then both beat, but I wouldn't say by some massive gap...

Can you outline or roughly map what is considered the urban core of the city of Cleveland? My motivations are just to compare functionality in all of these cities, clearly we all realize there is going to be both a larger population and land area in all of these core over Richmond...

Old 06-18-2020, 11:30 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Right?

Why not google it yourself before posting that? Just made that **** up MS13. That's my new go-to answer for city-data from now on. Every city you don't like just say that it's been overrun by MS13.
I know, right?

Old 06-18-2020, 11:48 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Yes, Richmond has BRT...

You just named a thousand districts/neighborhoods in Pgh and comparatively said they are significantly larger than two areas in Richmond lol. Did you just name what would be considered the entirety of Pgh's urban core? That would be the only way to measure this, as The Fan and Downtown Rich aren't the entirety of core Richmond; however I'm obviously on record as knowing Pgh is gonna come out larger...

I'd like to compare the functional urbanity in the core, what all is considered core Pgh?

Peak density in the group of 1-million+ cities here are as follows:

Minny ~36.6k/ppsm
Pgh ~25.7
Rich ~19.3
Cleveland ~17.7

Followed by a number of areas that peak in the range of:

Minny ~16.9-26.1
Pgh ~17-22
Rich ~12-17.8
Cleveland ~12-14.3

Upon spending time in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, one of my initial impressions was that neither were demonstrably more urban than Richmond, and was actually quite a surprise to me. Now obviously there's a gradient of urbanity, so I felt like Pgh was noticeably a notch above both on the urban gradient...

My opinion hasn't changed, and I think Cleveland and Richmond are more similar on urban scale than dissimilar, and Pgh has then both beat, but I wouldn't say by some massive gap...

Can you outline or roughly map what is considered the urban core of the city of Cleveland? My motivations are just to compare functionality in all of these cities, clearly we all realize there is going to be both a larger population and land area in all of these core over Richmond...
For Richmond it’s pribably Rocky Creek- I 64-195 and the James River

Pittsburgh is basically from FRick Park west to The Ohio then Southside Flats and the Allegeny Shore Neighborhoods. Basically the Flatish Basin around the rivers. You can see it quite clearly as the gridded sections of the city break up at the edges as the topography kills the grid.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:16 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
For Richmond it’s pribably Rocky Creek- I 64-195 and the James River

Pittsburgh is basically from FRick Park west to The Ohio then Southside Flats and the Allegeny Shore Neighborhoods. Basically the Flatish Basin around the rivers. You can see it quite clearly as the gridded sections of the city break up at the edges as the topography kills the grid.
You're close. Richmond's core includes Old Town/"downtown" Manchester south of the James, and extends east to Church Hill and Chimborazo. This is the extent of Richmond that is 100%, entirely walkable, you could actually include the lower North Side around VUU, west of Chamberlayne as well...

A light rail or a trolley could work throughout this region of Richmond, to more success than The Tide in Norfolk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City