Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Hospitals:

1. Cleveland
2. Minneapolis
3. Pittsburgh
4. Ann Arbor
5. Richmond

Higher Education:

1. Ann Arbor
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cleveland
4. Minneapolis
5. Richmond

Suburbs:

1. Minneapolis
2. Cleveland
3. Ann Arbor (Detroit's western suburbs to the east)
4. Richmond
5. Pittsburgh

Outdoor Recreation:

1. Minneapolis
2. Cleveland
3. Pittsburgh
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Museums:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Zoos/Aquariums:

1. Cleveland
2. Minneapolis
3. Pittsburgh
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor (although #3 if you include Detroit)

Low COL:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Richmond
4. Ann Arbor
5. Minneapolis

Proximity:

1. Richmond
2. Cleveland
3. Pittsburgh
4. Ann Arbor
5. Minneapolis

Overall:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor
I agree too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 AM

255 posts, read 159,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Hospitals:

1. Cleveland
2. Minneapolis
3. Pittsburgh
4. Ann Arbor
5. Richmond

Higher Education:

1. Ann Arbor
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cleveland
4. Minneapolis
5. Richmond

Suburbs:

1. Minneapolis
2. Cleveland
4. Richmond
5. Pittsburgh

Outdoor Recreation:

1. Minneapolis
2. Cleveland
3. Pittsburgh
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Museums:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Zoos/Aquariums:

1. Cleveland
2. Minneapolis
3. Pittsburgh
4. Richmond

Low COL:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Richmond
4. Ann Arbor
5. Minneapolis

Proximity:

1. Richmond
2. Cleveland
3. Pittsburgh
4. Ann Arbor
5. Minneapolis

Overall:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor
Like other posters have mentioned, I also agree with this. I think in the hospital category, I'd place Ann Arbor second but those top 4 have such incredible hospitals.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:48 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Like other posters have mentioned, I also agree with this. I think in the hospital category, I'd place Ann Arbor second but those top 4 have such incredible hospitals.
I would put A2 3rd. Hospital-wise, it's very, very good, but it can't beat out Minnie's Mayo.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
^ I think that's right on.

Edit: Also, just wondering if the person who sent an anonymous comment via rep would want to message me instead? It's amazing how sensitive you people are. For some reason, you guys are offended any time someone speaks well of cities you don't like.
At least you got 5 points, lol.

As for the list you and a few others are commenting on I don’t really have a problem with it, per se, but Ann Arbor is put at a very big disadvantage because of its size compared to the others. If you’re gonna include (or possibly include) Detroit for some you really should include it for the others. Ann Arbor isn’t much further away from downtown Detroit than many of Detroit’s suburbs, and it’s closer to the airport than many are as well. Just my .2c

I agree with TheProf, this is an odd comparisons of cities.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
^ I think that's right on.

Edit: Also, just wondering if the person who sent an anonymous comment via rep would want to message me instead? It's amazing how sensitive you people are. For some reason, you guys are offended any time someone speaks well of cities you don't like.
Hey, at least you got the rep. But I agree, I don't get anyone that gets bent out of shape because I don't like their city, but it's amazing that people get bent out of shape when you like a city they don't.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:27 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
People are overrating Ann Arbor for higher ed. due to U Michigan. Pittsburgh has 2 big major highly rated research universities in U of Pitt and Carrnegie Mellon, and it also has Duquesne U. and and handful of other liberal arts universities, and lots of affiliated hospitals and companies. To me, it clearly surpasses Ann Arbor in higher ed. rather easily. Cleveland has Case Western and Cleveland State, when combined may be on par with Ann Arbor.

Also, how the eff does Minneapolis rate 1st in outdoor recreation???

My list

Hospitals:

1. Cleveland
2. Minneapolis
3. Pittsburgh
4. Ann Arbor
5. Richmond

Higher Education:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Ann Arbor
3. Cleveland
4. Minneapolis
5. Richmond

Suburbs:

1. Minneapolis tie Cleveland
4. Richmond tie Pittsburgh

Outdoor Recreation:

1. Cleveland tie Pittsburgh
3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Museums:

3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Zoos/Aquariums:

1. Cleveland tie Minneapolis tie Pittsburgh
4. Richmond

Low COL:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Richmond tie Ann Arbor tie Minneapolis

Proximity:

1. Richmond
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cleveland
4. Ann Arbor
5. Minneapolis

Overall:

3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

I'll take the liberty of adding public transit.

1. Pittsburgh
2. Minneapolis
3. Cleveland
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

And why not add downtown vitality too

1. Pittsburgh
2. Cleveland tie Minneapolis
3. Richmond
4. Ann Arbor

Last edited by _Buster; 11-15-2019 at 11:01 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 03:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hey so Midwest cities and 1 outlier city

How do you feel these places rack up when comparing:

Hospital's
Higher education facilities
Good suburbs of good school system within City limits
Outdoor recreation
Museums
Zoos/Aquariums
Low COL
Approximate to other metropolitan's

Look forward to the feedback.
Richmond isn't gonna rate well against these other cities in most of the given criteria, given these other cities are more established in those sectors. However I'd offer this:

•I'm not sure Richmond deserves to be below Top 3 in outdoor rec. An incredible city to live in if you enjoy outdoor sport...

•these other cities are larger and have incredible museums, but I'd caution that Rich placing below them doesnt equate to Rich having weak museums. Richmond has a very strong and healthy museum culture with some incredible museums of it's own, I think the biggest difference in this category would be "more" incredible museums in the other cities by virtue of size, rather than quality of museums...

•Rich arguably has the very best location of any of these cities...

Richmond's downtown is stronger and healthier than Downtown Cleveland. There isn't nearly the gaps in vibrancy and Downtown Richmond is more interesting and busier...

I'd have a hard time placing essentially a suburb (Ann Arbor) above a central city with respectable size like Richmond. I know Ann Arbor is it's own MSA, but in the rest of the US most of us don't distinguish it from Detroit. Always heard good things, though...

Richmond isn't known as some bastion of higher ed nationally, but is the center of higher ed within Virginia, which is one of the elite higher ed states in the nation, so this has to count for something, right? In Richmond's case, I wouldn't argue it is stronger than these other cities, but I would say a better picture is presented when you look at the higher ed institutions in total and their impact and influence throughout the city. Within Virginia, we don't recognize it as a college town because it is relatively large and diverse, yet we recognize it as a strong epicenter of higher education...

Upon spending time in both Cleveland and Pittsburgh, one if the biggest things that struck me was how close Richmond is to these cities in offerings and livability, with the big differentiator being quantity by virtue if size. You don't get the feeling in either city that there is is a major gap in the lived experience or things to do...

Rich also reminds of Pittsburgh via topography, geography with the rivers thru the core, built form (reminds of Cleveland in that instance too), and the intrinsic artistic and creative natures of the cities. These similarities have been noted on here in years past...

Never been to Minny, but it's on my bucket list. I would go Pittsburgh over Richmond, but that's because I think very highly of Pgh and would place it above most cities in the US on a pound for pound basis..

I also think very highly of RVA and would place it over most cities pound for pound. I get the appeal of Cleveland but do not think it is pound for pound greater than Richmond...

At the very least, I find that most people view Richmond as one of the strongest cities in its weight class nationally and very strong pound for pound, so this thread should come with the understanding that even if one places these cities above Rich, it isn't really an indictment on Richmond...

Old 11-16-2019, 08:21 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
I'll play I suppose, though I think this is an odd comparison of cities:

My list

Hospitals:the top 4 are all really excellent so nitpicking at this point

1. Cleveland
2/3. Pittsburgh/Minneapolis Tied
4. Ann Arbor
5. Richmond

Higher Education:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Ann Arbor
3. Cleveland
4. Minneapolis
5. Richmond

Suburbs:

1. Minneapolis tie Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Ann Arbor
4. Richmond

Outdoor Recreation:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Minneapolis
3. Cleveland
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Museums:

3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Zoos/Aquariums:

1. Pittsburgh (including the Aviary)
2. Cleveland
3. Minneapolis
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Low COL:

1. Cleveland
2. Pittsburgh
3. Richmond tie Ann Arbor tie Minneapolis

Proximity:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Richmond
3. Cleveland
4. Ann Arbor
5. Minneapolis

Overall:

1. Pittsburgh
2/3. Minneapolis Cleveland Tie
4. Richmond
5. Ann Arbor

Old 11-16-2019, 08:44 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
A zoo and an aquarium would never be reasons, for me, to choose where to live. As far as higher education, very seldom, do people choose the college in their town, so I think that's irrelevant. Definitely, though, Ann Arbor would win that one. Hospitals...not a deciding factor, either, unless one is very seriously ill. Otherwise, you can travel to the hospital that best suits your needs. Location of the city, I'm not a fan of isolated cities, or smaller cities not near a larger one. Out of these cities, I wouldn't choose to live in any of them, but I do think some are more appealing, than others.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:29 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
A zoo and an aquarium would never be reasons, for me, to choose where to live. As far as higher education, very seldom, do people choose the college in their town, so I think that's irrelevant. Definitely, though, Ann Arbor would win that one. Hospitals...not a deciding factor, either, unless one is very seriously ill. Otherwise, you can travel to the hospital that best suits your needs. Location of the city, I'm not a fan of isolated cities, or smaller cities not near a larger one. Out of these cities, I wouldn't choose to live in any of them, but I do think some are more appealing, than others.

I still want to hear exactly how Ann Arbor surpasses Pittsburgh in higher ed. No way. and I don't even think it's close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City