Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin or Nashville
Austin 25 43.86%
Nashville 32 56.14%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 11:41 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I pointed out already in the Dallas/Atlanta thread that its starting to get to a point where the wealth means that you're "too rich for" those cities, and when it gets down to an Austin/Nashville profile, it becomes even more obvious. For instance, there isn't really a subgenre called "Glam Country" like there is with rock and rap for that matter, and it reflects upon both cities being bastions for the working and various levels of the middle class. Most filthy rich country stars do end up in coastal California/Florida/the Northeast/north Dallas anyways, so that their Nashville/Austin residence just becomes their "old home". Of course, if I HAD to live in one or the other, I'd most certainly be part of the frequent flier jet-set heading off to more exotic/worldly destinations, both in terms of cities and scenic resort areas. For example, Nashville and Austin are both lacking numerous high-end brands that would attract the upper deci-millionaires and up, so they'd just fly off to Vegas, Beverly Hills, NYC, Miami, Europe, etc for all of the exclusive high-end stuff. Compare The Mall at Green Hills in Nashville (that city's nicest) with the Mall at Short Hills in New Jersey for example. The former is like a decent BMW 5-Series, but the latter is akin to a Rolls-Royce in terms of selection. Yes, there's a Tiffany, Burberry, and Louis Vutton, but that's just a small piece of the pie. The Domain offers a similar scale of luxury offerings, but is also run-of-the-mill in offerings compared to true world class cities. Also, there's no Ritz-Carlton hotel in either city and just a Four Seasons, so its very spotty in terms of true A-list offerings.

I'd probably settle for Nashville since its a shorter flight to Florida, NYC, Chicago, and Europe and do enjoy the neighborhood around the Belle Meade area, even though I've never been to Austin.
I find Austin has more random celeb residents and visitors than Dallas or Houston. Not country music superstar types like Nashville but more like Hollywood actor types. At 75 million you’re not flying commercial so dfws airport is irrelevant.

Feather in Nashville’s cap is it’s cheaper than Austin it again at 75 million it doesn’t matter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
As you correctly stated, both cities are pitiful in terms of higher concentrations of luxury shopping.
The Nashville River North development could change that for Nashville. I recall reading there are a ton of luxury shoppes being considered for that, as well as potentially, a Ritz-Carlton. But I can't find the specific link to those articles at the moment.

But here is the overall development's link: River North Nashville

Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The Nashville River North development could change that for Nashville. I recall reading there are a ton of luxury shoppes being considered for that, as well as potentially, a Ritz-Carlton. But I can't find the specific link to those articles at the moment.

But here is the overall development's link: River North Nashville
Thanks for providing the link. I also remember something about a "New North Nashville" development. The proposal called for several high end shops and restaurants. Sad to hear the news on Ovation and Hickory Hollow redevelopment. The market will likely present something better for those sites, however. Do you remember May Town Center?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...es/1442997002/

The 90s looking photo shop smells similar to Lake Palmer and also the guitar shaped hotel proposals lol.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:48 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
$75 million net worth? I see a $8.5 million house on 6 acres just east of Percy Warner Park in Belle Meade that would do.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,384 times
They're both overpopulated messes last I checked. But if I had to choose, I'd pick the Nashville area. More pro sports to splurge on, and downtown is probably cleaner.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:42 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Nashville. I really love the city. More to do overall.I've been to Austin 3 times and tried to warm up to it. But I find it to be possibly the most overrated metro in the nation. The recreational assets they have can be seen in pretty much most other metros of over 1 million. No unique recreational assets as well. Not a horrible place. Just doesn't even remotely live up to the hype. I find Nashville to be much better in nearly all respects. Not even close.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:40 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Nashville. I really love the city. More to do overall.I've been to Austin 3 times and tried to warm up to it. But I find it to be possibly the most overrated metro in the nation. The recreational assets they have can be seen in pretty much most other metros of over 1 million. No unique recreational assets as well. Not a horrible place. Just doesn't even remotely live up to the hype. I find Nashville to be much better in nearly all respects. Not even close.
This is entirely subjective. Austin and Nashville are definitely peer cities in the 2 million MSA population range, but Austin passed Nashville a while back and the gap is growing, not shrinking. Nashville is booming. Austin is booming at twice the rate in terms of population and GDP growth. For eight years in a row now, Austin has been the fastest growing large metropolitan area in the U.S. By every major metric, Austin is ahead of Nashville - wealthier and better educated, more international flights and so on

From Nashville boosters on this site, you would think Nashville's tourism figures would be up there with Vegas and Orlando. They are not at all. Tourism is not central to Austin's identity but its tourism revenues are some $3 billion higher than Nashville's. Austin's skyline is transforming more drastically than that of Nashville's. The 2 tallest all residential high-rises west of the Mississippi are in Austin. By next year, it could be the top 4...

Nashville is also booming and they are entirely comparable cities. i would give Nashville pro sports, country music, COL, and some more attractive suburbs - Franklin is quite bit nicer than Round Rock, for example, but for everything else: food, nightlife, cultural amenities (high cultural amenities are lame in both places), outdoor recreation, public transportation, urban living generally - edge Austin. It is not a huge gap, but the kind of gap, you would expect when one city is bigger, richer and growing faster...

With 75 million, i could live very happily in either city, but I would have homes elsewhere too...and as for high end retail who cares? I would not be buying any clothes off the rack, no matter the name on the store... LOL

Old 12-02-2019, 02:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Definitely Nashville! It's where are all the country music stars are.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Different leagues. Nashville in a route

Last edited by JMT; 12-03-2019 at 05:18 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
They’re both overcrowded but Austin is that much closer to the wide open west.

Déjà vu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City