Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live?
Alabama 11 11.58%
Georgia 60 63.16%
Mississippi 2 2.11%
South Carolina 30 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 06:14 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Atlanta doesn't have just downtown. It has midtown, Buckhead, and bunch of smaller city squares like Decatur and Marietta.

With Georgia having Atlanta, Savannah, and the north Georgia mountains, it offers everything in one state that the other three lack.
Anything that you can do in Atlanta you can do other places in SC.

Going to a bar in Buckhead or a golf course in Savannah isn't going to be any different than going a bar in Greenville SC or a golf course in Charleston, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
And actually, SC has access of its own to a biggish metro with Charlotte so you could probably be happy in a SC suburb as well if you wanted a big metro.
Greenville, Charleston, Columbia are not small towns.

Greenville's at the heart of the 40th largest CSA in the country.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
That’s only objective if you prefer a big metro above all else. You may, but if you don’t, that opens up some things.
I actually read the original post again and the OP made it subjective and open-ended, so there's really no right or wrong answer. But Atlanta is what the other states have no answer for. SC can say the same with Myrtle Beach but otherwise, I think that's where it ends for the most part (excluding small, somewhat niche places like Helen or Natchez).

Old 11-19-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Anything that you can do in Atlanta you can do other places in SC.

Going to a bar in Buckhead or a golf course in Savannah isn't going to be any different than going a bar in Greenville SC or a golf course in Charleston, etc.
You can't attend an NFL, NBA, MLB, or MLS game in SC. Several retail options available in Atlanta aren't available in SC. Atlanta gets all sorts of conventions, special events, etc. that SC doesn't.

Even so, there's a difference between having all of these things available to you in one city versus spread out among several different cities.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Cities in SC get certain events that Atlanta does not get. For example, there's not a Fall for Greenville in Atlanta. It is a very popular festival in the southeast.

Greenville frequently has shows by bands that don't go to ATL on the same tour.

percentage of people that attend pro sports games is very small. driving a few hours for an occasional game is no big deal.

my comment was not intended for everybody single person.

you have to deal with worse traffic if you live in ATL vs the biggest cities in SC.

If somebody was big into pro sports, why would they even mention states that don't have a pro team. They would know what cities have pro teams.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Cities in SC get certain events that Atlanta does not get. For example, there's not a Fall for Greenville in Atlanta. It is a very popular festival in the southeast.
No, Atlanta doesn't have a festival called Fall for Greenville (and it would be weird if it did). But that's just the name of Greenville's fall music and food festival; Atlanta has a couple of those, with the closest thing to Fall for Greenville probably being the Candler Park Fall Fest.

Quote:
Greenville frequently has shows by bands that don't go to ATL on the same tour.
Occasionally? Probably. Frequently? I seriously doubt that.

Quote:
percentage of people that attend pro sports games is very small. driving a few hours for an occasional game is no big deal.
You're predictable if nothing else. I already knew you'd resort to the "most people don't attend major league pro sports games" refrain. That's irrelevant, just like the percentage of people who attend Fall for Greenville being very small is also irrelevant. The fact is you were wrong in your assessment.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:08 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Mississippi I could almost live in if the temperatures averaged 25-40 degrees lower on any given day.
Ditto with Alabama, but it’s a bit too heavily developed for my tastes.
South Carolina, no.
Georgia, never.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

You're predictable if nothing else. I already knew you'd resort to the "most people don't attend major league pro sports games" refrain. That's irrelevant, just like the percentage of people who attend Fall for Greenville being very small is also irrelevant. The fact is you were wrong in your assessment.
why do you keep trying to talk to me if you don't respect me as you have made known numerous times.

talk to other people on here.

i'm not looking to get into a contentious discussion over this

I am predictable only b/c you have seen me post a lot. I know generally what your view on these kind of stuff is as well. That you would say Georgia is the best because of Atlanta is predictable because I know you like big cities.

I don't think you predicted that I would make a comment touting a suburb of Jackson MS given I typically don't talk about Miss having no experience living there. If you knew that comment was coming you must be killing it in the stock market.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
why do you keep trying to talk to me if you don't respect me as you have made known numerous times.

talk to other people on here.

i'm not looking to get into a contentious discussion over this
I'm free to talk to whoever I wish on this board as long as I do so respectfully. If you can't handle folks disagreeing with you, then maybe this isn't the right outlet for you.

Quote:
I am predictable only b/c you have seen me post a lot. I know generally what your view on these kind of stuff is as well. That you would say Georgia is the best because of Atlanta is predictable because I know you like big cities.
Granted I should have re-read the original post before making that comment as I was thinking that the question was along the lines of which state is the most well-rounded or something like that. "Best" is always subjective.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:42 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
What about infrastructure, higher ed, quality of life, better state for business, growth...etc?
INFRASTRUCTURE: Georgia (best roads, world's biggest airport, 3rd largest port in US)
HIGHER ED: Georgia (Emory, Ga Tech, UGA)
QUALITY OF LIFE: Georgia (income, healthcare, public schools)
BETTER STATE FOR BUSINESS: Georgia (No 1 in the nation for several years running)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
S. Alabama and S. Mississippi probably have better beaches than Georgia too.
No argument here. Gulf Coast beaches trump Atlantic beaches all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City