Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live?
Alabama 11 11.58%
Georgia 60 63.16%
Mississippi 2 2.11%
South Carolina 30 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 06:40 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,420,433 times

Advertisements

MS would be the worst option if you like outdoor stuff (hiking, lakes, whitewater) in my view.

Given you probably won't see many comments about MS on here, I'll mention that the Madison suburb of Jackson looks really nice. My brother was considering taking a job with a power company there a couple years ago and I checked it out on Google maps street view.

I lived in Huntsville Alabama for 1.5 years and it is a nice area. There are little mountains next to the downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 03:16 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,963,891 times
Beside Atlanta, South Carolina has way larger metropolitan areas (Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charlotte suburbs). SC offers a lot more than “just Atlanta.” Has a great coastline and a nice slice of mountains. I’d choose S.C.

Number 2 would be GA
Number 3 Alabama (Huntsville seems nice)
Number 4 Mississippi (The closer to the Memphis suburbs the better if had to)

Last edited by sonofaque86; 11-19-2019 at 03:41 AM..

Old 11-19-2019, 10:02 AM

2,859 posts, read 4,628,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Beside Atlanta, South Carolina has way larger metropolitan areas (Columbia, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charlotte suburbs). SC offers a lot more than “just Atlanta.” Has a great coastline and a nice slice of mountains. I’d choose S.C.

Number 2 would be GA
You also can state that Atlanta offers more than the entire state of SC depending on perspectives.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:32 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,634,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post

Number 2 would be GA
Georgia's mountains are better than South Carolina's. Georgia has a great coastline, too. Savannah is pretty much analogous to Charleston. Really the only coastal thing that South Carolina has that Georgia doesn't is a large vacation/resort city like Myrtle Beach.

Georgia also has Athens, which is arguably the best college town in the country. Nothing comparable in South Carolina.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:31 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,862,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Georgia has a great coastline, too.
If you have a boat.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:40 PM

37,900 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Objectively, Georgia takes this and yes, Atlanta is the primary reason for that.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Objectively, Georgia takes this and yes, Atlanta is the primary reason for that.
That’s only objective if you prefer a big metro above all else. You may, but if you don’t, that opens up some things.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:25 PM

And actually, SC has access of its own to a biggish metro with Charlotte so you could probably be happy in a SC suburb as well if you wanted a big metro.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:18 PM

2,859 posts, read 4,628,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Georgia has limited beach access for the public. If your main appreciation for these states is the beach, SC does it better.
What about infrastructure, higher ed, quality of life, better state for business, growth...etc?

S. Alabama and S. Mississippi probably have better beaches than Georgia too.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:08 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,420,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Georgia's mountains are better than South Carolina's. Georgia has a great coastline, too. Savannah is pretty much analogous to Charleston. Really the only coastal thing that South Carolina has that Georgia doesn't is a large vacation/resort city like Myrtle Beach.

Georgia also has Athens, which is arguably the best college town in the country. Nothing comparable in South Carolina.
I think Clemson in SC is a better college town. Right on a lake nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. Also has a cleaner look to it and more safe.

I think SC and GA mountains are similar. Good spots to go in both of them and a person living in one of these states can easily visit mountains in the other state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City