Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live?
Alabama 11 11.58%
Georgia 60 63.16%
Mississippi 2 2.11%
South Carolina 30 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Georgia Tech.

UGA.

Clemson.

USC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:37 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
My comments about these universities are for open minded people, not people who repeat rankings that they see. The rankings are done by people who don't attend the universities or hire people.

I've made several points that these people don't respond to.

For example, I point out Clemson has a large established engineering college, UGA only recently started offering engineering programs and it has a small engineering college.

Yet these people assert UGA is better than Clemson. Engineers generally get paid more than most people with undergraduate degrees.

I've pointed Clemson has a lot of graduates who get into medical schools. How would their life be better if they went to UGA rather than Clemson prior to medical school. They won't answer this question.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
My comments about these universities are for open minded people, not people who repeat rankings that they see. The rankings are done by people who don't attend the universities or hire people.

I've made several points that these people don't respond to.

For example, I point out Clemson has a large established engineering college, UGA only recently started offering engineering programs and it has a small engineering college.

Yet these people assert UGA is better than Clemson. Engineers generally get paid more than most people with undergraduate degrees.

I've pointed Clemson has a lot of graduates who get into medical schools. How would their life be better if they went to UGA rather than Clemson prior to medical school. They won't answer this question.
ClemVegas,

Clemson and USC are quality and fantastic schools. Very impressive.

It’s just that Georgia Tech and UGA are higher-quality, higher-caliber, and more prestigious.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
ClemVegas,

Clemson and USC are quality and fantastic schools. Very impressive.

It’s just that Georgia Tech and UGA are higher-quality, higher-caliber, and more prestigious.
You've provided no evidence that employers see it that way. It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what employers and medical schools, etc think.

I don't think you have any independent knowledge of Clemson and SC.

You are saying one college is better than another without talking about professors and their qualifications to teach.

What is your motivation to say one university is higher quality than another. What's the payoff. You treat higher education like it is a football game.

What specifically happens in the classroom at UGA and G Tech that make it more prestigious than Clemson and SC.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You've provided no evidence that employers see it that way. It doesn't matter what you think, it matters what employers and medical schools, etc think.

I don't think you have any independent knowledge of Clemson and SC.

You are saying one college is better than another without talking about professors and their qualifications to teach.

What is your motivation to say one university is higher quality than another. What's the payoff. You treat higher education like it is a football game.

What specifically happens in the classroom at UGA and G Tech that make it more prestigious than Clemson and SC.
ClemVegas,

Employers and medical schools think Clemson and USC are quality, fantastic schools with impressive attributes.

And employers and medical schools think Georgia Tech and UGA are higher-quality, higher-caliber, and more prestigious than Clemson and USC.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 PM

You've provided no evidence of your claim. It sounds like you are claiming to have a fancy mind reading ability.

That doesn't seem like a high quality approach to a discussion.

I would think somebody who values higher education would understand that if you make an assertion you should be able to provide evidence or some kind of basic logic that supports it.

Again, if I and other Clemson grads can get good jobs or into medical schools, etc, how can the school be less prestigious than any other colleges. What difference does it make. It seems like an empty virtue signaling contest.

Why does it irritate you and others if I say Clemson and SC are as good as UGA and G Tech. It seems like you view it as an insult.

I'm confused how UGA could be more prestigious for engineering than Clemson if Clemson has a larger program and UGA only recently started offering engineering programs.

I am more open minded toward the assertion that G Tech is better in that a majority of its programs are STEM based. In my view STEM programs are more challenging and practical than liberal arts programs.

The counterargument is Clemson can claim to be more balanced ....it is 35% STEM which is more than most universities including UGA but less than G Tech, but has more liberal arts graduates than Georgia Tech.

But if you compare specific majors and professors at Clemson and G Tech, I don't think it is likely the quality of education and the program is better.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-24-2019 at 06:11 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 06:10 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
As many of you have already stated, GA is the outlier of the states being compared. Heck, metro Atlanta alone has more than double the population of MS, and almost 2 million more people than either SC or AL.

Other than some similarities in the small town/rural life of the four states, It’s GA by a wide margin, then SC, AL, and MS. GA has the better overall infrastructure, higher rated universities, higher rated primary and secondary schools. Atlanta just simply puts GA on a whole different level. Savannah as a major port and resort city is gaining traction. Even the other large cities in GA (Augusta, Macon, Columbus) are undergoing major Downtown redevelopment projects. GA is the least politically conservative of the group.

SC has some pretty nice mid sized metros in Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg, a couple of nice resort cities in Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, and of course, Charleston. SC also has a portion of the Charlotte Metro. IMHO, SC’s two main shortcomings are in infrastructure and education. No disrespect to USC, Clemson, or SCSU, which are all outstanding institutions of higher learning, but they aren’t ranked the highest among their peers. I could possibly live in SC.

AL has a real gem in Huntsville. The Gulf beaches in the Mobile are nice. Birmingham is making a nice comeback from de industrialization, plus the baggage of the Civil Rights movement. Montgomery has been stagnant, but is poised for growth. AL is a state where population growth outside of Huntsville, Auburn-Opelika, Dothan, and Baldwin County has basically been flat or stagnant. AL is great for those who desire more of a rural/small town lifestyle, and a very conservative socio- political environment. Education and infrastructure are two major shortcomings for AL as a state. AL may possibly be the only state where the most well known and respected university (outside of football) is an HBCU.

MS is by far the most rural of the group. It does have some nice areas along the Gulf Coast, the Jackson area, and the Memphis suburbs, but definitely primarily a small town/rural, ultra conservative socio-political environment outside of Jackson and the Delta. Ranks at or near the bottom in most metrics.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:13 PM

SCSU is not an outstanding institution. It has come closed to being shut down several time due to shady financial stuff. I think it would be considered the worst university in the state by most informed people.

Is it kind of hard to take your assertion about Clemson and SC not being as good as other universities seriously after that claim.

Clemson is in the top 25 of public universities in the US News rankings which is where most people get their opinions about colleges. To say that's not good enough is hilarious to me.

you can't make it in this crazy world if you attend a public college ranked in top 25 in the country.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-24-2019 at 06:23 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 06:25 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
So US News rankings matter to you now?

Old 11-24-2019, 06:26 PM

I was pointing out to people like you Clemson is ranked high in the rankings that you think are important.

UGA is at 16 , Clemson has been as high as 21 or so.

it seems like you are splitting hairs to make the case UGA is more prestigious going with the rankings that you cite.

They have William and Mary ranked higher than UGA and G Tech. I don't think William and Mary has a great name recognition, it is a small liberal college and it sounds like a nun school or something.

How can it be better than universities that offer engineering, architecture, etc. it seems like people who value higher education and critical thinking would be skeptical of these rankings when they see William and Mary above the large prominent public universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City