Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live?
Alabama 11 11.58%
Georgia 60 63.16%
Mississippi 2 2.11%
South Carolina 30 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 06:29 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
SCSU is not an outstanding institution. It it has come closed to being shut down several time due to shady financial stuff. I think it would be considered the worst university in the state by most informed people.

Is it kind of hard to take your assertion about Clemson and SC not being as good as other universities seriously after that claim.
(GA, GT, Emory, Spelman, Morehouse) > (USC, Clemson, Coastal Carolina, SCSU)

GA has two universities that are members of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) (GT, Emory). There are no AAU members in SC, AL, or MS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:32 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
(GA, GT, Emory, Spelman, Morehouse) > (USC, Clemson, Coastal Carolina, SCSU)

GA has two universities that are members of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) (GT, Emory). There are no AAU members in SC, AL, or MS!!!
it doesn't make sense you are putting SCSU in same category with Clemson and SC or Coastal Carolina for that matter.

Clemson is ranked higher is US News rankings than some of the AAU universities like Iowa State.

I'll go with G Tech over Clemson if you base it only on it having a higher percentage of STEM graduates which I view as more challenging and practical programs. I don't think that's an argument that will be as persuasive to the liberal arts people on here.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-24-2019 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 06:35 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
I don't know, why don't you read the methodology behind their rankings and complain to them about it if you feel like South Carolina schools are better than they really are.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I don't know, why don't you read the methodology behind their rankings and complain to them about it if you feel like South Carolina schools are better than they really are.
there's no reason to complain to them....I'm simply discussing their rankings.

Their rankings would matter if employers were obligated to go by them. It doesn't work like that.

us news is targeted at soccer moms and the kind of people who would bribe a university to take their kid because they think the college is prestigious.

these parents have been Don Drapered. Nothing is prestigious, that's a branding thing for pretentious people. college is just students taking classes. what's prestigious about taking classes. it is as commonplace as anything can be.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:40 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,899 times
Clem, what I was trying to say that the GA schools I had in parentheses as a group, overall rank higher than the SC schools, as a group I had in parentheses. I fully understand that Coastal and SCSU are different classifications from USC or Clemson.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:43 PM

Ok but citing the US News and other rankings doesn't mean employers view it the same way.

that's an assumption that you are making.

I don't think employers care what a applicant's SAT and GPA was coming out of high school or what percentage of applicants were accepted at the university you attended.

A lot of college students especially males do better in college than they did in high school because they are older, focused on their future, and more interested in their major subjects.

If a student has a 4.0 at Clemson and a UGA student has a 3.1, it seems like the Clemson student would have an advantage getting a job unless the hiring manager went to Georgia or has some kind of disdain for Clemson.

Clemson gets a ton of students who have wealthy parents. These parents are physicians, engineers, lawyers, etc out of cities like Charleston, Hilton Head, ATL,. Why would educated wealth people pay for their kids to go to Clemson if UGA and G Tech are superior options. They could afford for their kids to go out of state.

WHen I was at Clemson, there were kids with wealthy parents who had their own boat, jet skis, houses, fancy cars , etc in Clemson. it is incredible to see people say that Clemson isn't considered prestigious compared to some other university, especially a public university, based on my own experiences at Clemson.

My father was an electrical engineer and I felt like one of the poor kids there.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-24-2019 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-24-2019, 09:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
SC has some pretty nice mid sized metros in Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg, a couple of nice resort cities in Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, and of course, Charleston. SC also has a portion of the Charlotte Metro. IMHO, SC’s two main shortcomings are in infrastructure and education. No disrespect to USC, Clemson, or SCSU, which are all outstanding institutions of higher learning, but they aren’t ranked the highest among their peers. I could possibly live in SC.
I agree with you concerning the state's two primary shortcomings but Clemson has really climbed the ranks in recent years and I'd say it ranks favorably among true peer institutions. USC has its strong suits but it definitely has room for improvement as the flagship university of the state system. As far as HBCUs go, Claflin is the standout institution in SC and it definitely ranks high among its peers; like Clemson, it has also increased its stature in recent years and is now among the top 10 HBCUs in the country. I also think Furman deserves a mention as it ranks well for a small private liberal arts institution.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:34 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
But you knew when you created this thread this was gonna be the case, so why’d you do it?

GA essentially has everything Alabama has but Alabama doesn’t necessarily have everything GA has. Same goes for SC and MS. Birmingham is the closest thing to Atlanta in this comparison and it is a fantastic city that is finally starting to get the attention, investing, and redevelopment it needs to stay competitive in the face of some very stiff competition in its region.

SC has Charleston, which is a huge draw both for domestic and overseas tourist. SC also is home to a good bit of Charlotte’s suburbs. Also, Greenville is a very quaint and vibrant city and Myrtle Beach is there too.

MS has probably the best collection of small towns (Tupelo, Hattiesburg, Oxford, Starkville, Meridian etc) of the bunch. But Jackson, Biloxi, and Southaven pale in comparison to Savannah, Huntsville, Columbia and Mobile.

This comparison is so lopsided, pitting a state of 10.5 million against states of 3, 5, and 4.8 million. You want us to bash our neighbors. I’m not falling for that trick though I’m sure some from outside of the region will give you what you want.
Having much family in Alabama, having lived in metro Atlanta over 5 years and visited SC. I think I have some credence in discussing. But I don't think its unfair to compare these four neighboring states. Yes Georgia's population is much larger than the others but why is that? To me, its a reflection of their success is attracting business and new residents more so than the others. They built the big airport that drove growth. At the same time, Georgia has benefitted from its confluence of interstate highways and Florida's growth and heading south three interstates pass through that state.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You've provided no evidence that employers see it that way.

All the evidence you need is to look at what is occurring in Midtown Atlanta around Tech Square. Tech jobs are literally exploding, as is office and residential construction. Employers are voting with their feet and their dollars, and they all state they want to be close to Tech.

Old 11-26-2019, 03:42 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Proud graduate (undergrad and MBA) from the Terry College of Business at UGA. As someone who hires and constantly seeks talent, these things do matter.
Shoulda tried for USC, the Darla Moore is tops in Business in the Southeast. I don’t know how old you are so it may not have been as good at the time. But other than that and the Nursing program, there aren’t many other places it excels. Not saying it’s a crap show of a school. Just the other colleges within it are meh, neither here nor there. It works for an education. And if we’re really gonna argue schools, even though it’s not in the discussion, imo N.C. has the best higher ed. The UNC System, Duke, even the small colleges like Brevard and what not.

Last edited by BrandonCoombes; 11-26-2019 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City