Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 04:00 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think the biggest demographic shift were seeing is in regards to the white population. It seems to becoming less and less urban and Northern. They seem to be favoring places that meet a specific set of criteria:

1) White culture magnets: Portland, Austin, Denver, Salt Lake City, and Minneapolis.
2) Warm weather places: DFW, Atlanta, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Phoenix, Charlotte, and Raleigh.
3) Places where the economy is going gangbusters: Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Arizona.

Weve been focusing on cities and major metro areas, but whites seem to be retreating into smaller cities, towns, and rural areas as well.
Yeah that's been a trend I've read and heard about for a few years. Now that cities AND suburbs have become multi-cultural, it's made a few who are uncomfortable with it escape to "their last hope". The mountain states especially have all seen surges in their white population. That and America is for sale, and land is relatively cheap, so why not buy a few acres if you got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 04:55 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Of course. I actually hate how obsessed these nerds are with metro area.
Nothing is stopping you from gathering data and crunching numbers.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Of course. I actually hate how obsessed these nerds are with metro area.
I't's not like there's some impregnable wall that seperates the city of Chicago from it's suburbs. People from the suburbs come and hang out and work in the city all the time which will distort statistics. This is why people use MSA and not arbitrary city propers. Suburbanites come and work/spend time and money in the Downtown areas and surrounding neighborhoods which help contribute to the GDP and general feel at the street level of both the city and metro area.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
What exurbs that are de facto rural areas?
Exurbs for sure are still growing. Porter County IN, the county where my home town is located, is a good example of this. It’s on the fringe of the Chicago metro area and has consistently gained population for the past ten decades, with some decades being more modest than others in growth. It certainly has rural areas but also a few medium-sized exurbs. Most of the truly rural counties in IN are seeing declines though.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I't's not like there's some impregnable wall that seperates the city of Chicago from it's suburbs. People from the suburbs come and hang out and work in the city all the time which will distort statistics. This is why people use MSA and not arbitrary city propers. Suburbanites come and work/spend time and money in the Downtown areas and surrounding neighborhoods which help contribute to the GDP and general feel at the street level of both the city and metro area.
What statistics? This would not distort anything that the US Census or Bureau of Labor Statistics does. The census data is based on where you live, not where you hang out. The unemployment numbers are based on where you live, not where you work. If you live in Jersey City but work in Manhattan, then you're counted as far as labor force in Jersey City, NOT New York City/New York County.

Maybe you meant it distorts reality of how you feel a place is doing regarding hustle and bustle, or the makeup of race in an area. Which is true of literally every city that has areas of draw whether via tourism or via people living in the general metropolitan area. However, this is a fact of economics and it counts. Just because people are spending money in a neighborhood who don't live there, doesn't mean it isn't valid. It's part of the economy. As far as the race part goes, "distorting" yeah that's true, but again the same as everywhere which draws in people from all over.

In regards to money talk, you're right - but this is true of every city. And with that being said, there's a lot of tourism dollars that seep in. It's a bit more complex than people make it out to be. Metro area is very important though because the entire area is an economic ecosystem. All the major economic areas of the US whether it be NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, etc have very major economic activity outside of the principal city.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-13-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 12-13-2019, 07:39 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not really they mostly just go to work and park in a garage or come and hang out downtown for a few hours every once in a while and ignore 85%-95% of the city.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not really they mostly just go to work and park in a garage or come and hang out downtown for a few hours every once in a while and ignore 85%-95% of the city.
I wonder which cities have people from the suburbs hang out in more areas than just a few. Like in NYC, they'll come to SoHo and maybe Times Square for a show, and maybe near that Columbus Circle for the Lincoln Center - and then places like the village..and maybe Williamsburg but not really many other places (maybe people who are close to Flushing will come to Flushing). In Chicago, they hang out downtown and some of the neighborhoods around that like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, West Loop, and Wicker Park.

I wonder if some other cities have a bigger spread. And what you say is true even for residents. So many people who live in Manhattan almost never leave. So many people who live in downtown Chicago almost never leave the downtown area and a few other areas around it. But for these areas, many tourists and people from the suburbs come and hang out in.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabonem View Post
yeah that's been a trend i've read and heard about for a few years. Now that cities and suburbs have become multi-cultural, it's made a few who are uncomfortable with it escape to "their last hope". The mountain states especially have all seen surges in their white population. That and america is for sale, and land is relatively cheap, so why not buy a few acres if you got it?
+1

Old 12-14-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Nothing is stopping you from gathering data and crunching numbers.
I’ll speak for myself-I’m too lazy to. What you do here is impressive, I think Foam and I-being northern-see the city suburb distinction to be a very real and important delineation. Frankly, I haven’t been to enough of the rest of the country to fully grasp why that isn’t the case everywhere. I just know for fact it’s wholly important in some parts of the country.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:33 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’ll speak for myself-I’m too lazy to. What you do here is impressive, I think Foam and I-being northern-see the city suburb distinction to be a very real and important delineation. Frankly, I haven’t been to enough of the rest of the country to fully grasp why that isn’t the case everywhere. I just know for fact it’s wholly important in some parts of the country.
The distinction may be important, but metropolitan economies are very much integrated.

For instance, the two bus routes that connect Center City Philadelphia with King of Prussia are packed much of the day, and many of those riding those buses aren't shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City