Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
1) Denver? That's hilarious. Denver had a Hispanic mayor back in the 1980s and has had at least two black mayors, this with a black population of 9.5%. Mexican food is the default here. We celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Day of the Dead.

3) Colorado, 2.6% unemployment, the lowest since 1976.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdl...n-october-2019
Everyone celebrates "Cindo de Mayo" - even when I lived in Iowa it was celebrated. The real question is whether it's celebrated for the actual event that it was, or the fake reason that 99% of non Mexicans seem to think it's about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 08:21 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
1) Denver? That's hilarious. Denver had a Hispanic mayor back in the 1980s and has had at least two black mayors, this with a black population of 9.5%. Mexican food is the default here. We celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Day of the Dead.

3) Colorado, 2.6% unemployment, the lowest since 1976.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdl...n-october-2019
Yeah...Denver is still a white culture center. That doesn’t mean minorities can’t be elected officials. You kinda shot yourself in the foot with point one because Cinco de Mayo isn’t even celebrated in Mexico. It’s pretty much an excuse for Americans to get wasted and eat Tex Mex. in Mexico, September 16 is the celebrated holiday. Denver’s largest demographic growth comes from whites and its culture caters mainly to whites. Austin is more diverse than Denver and its a white culture magnet too.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah...Denver is still a white culture center. That doesn’t mean minorities can’t be elected officials. You kinda shot yourself in the foot with point one because Cinco de Mayo isn’t even celebrated in Mexico. It’s pretty much an excuse for Americans to get wasted and eat Tex Mex. in Mexico, September 16 is the celebrated holiday. Denver’s largest demographic growth comes from whites and its culture caters mainly to whites. Austin is more diverse than Denver and its a white culture magnet too.
May 5th is the celebration of Mexico beating France at the Battle of Puebla. Mexico won even though France had double the amount of troops, and hadn't been defeated for 50 years. It could have actually altered the history of the US as weird as that sounds.

It's not a national holiday in Mexico, but schools are closed on May 5th in Mexico, and it's a holiday in Puebla.

Celebrating it in the US means nothing. I know that Denver has Mexican culture, but I agree with you. Bringing up Cinco de Mayo in the US is like shooting yourself in the foot. Go to a small city in the midwest without too much Mexican culture and people are still celebrating it.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Everyone celebrates "Cindo de Mayo" - even when I lived in Iowa it was celebrated. The real question is whether it's celebrated for the actual event that it was, or the fake reason that 99% of non Mexicans seem to think it's about.
It's a spring holiday, in a place that has a very long winter. If you want to look at other "war" type holidays, Memorial Day and the 4th of July are more for partying than anything else.

Quote:
I love how you people who don't live here think you know all about Denver. And we eat Mexican food all the time, not just on Cinco de Mayo.

Quote:
May 5th is the celebration of Mexico beating France at the Battle of Puebla. Mexico won even though France had double the amount of troops, and hadn't been defeated for 50 years. It could have actually altered the history of the US as weird as that sounds.

It's not a national holiday in Mexico, but schools are closed on May 5th in Mexico, and it's a holiday in Puebla.

Celebrating it in the US means nothing. I know that Denver has Mexican culture, but I agree with you. Bringing up Cinco de Mayo in the US is like shooting yourself in the foot. Go to a small city in the midwest without too much Mexican culture and people are still celebrating it.
"Shooting yourself in the foot"? I don't think you know what that expression means. When I lived in Illinois, Cinco de Mayo was NOT celebrated. Granted that was some years ago, but it was celebrated here at the time.

I see neither of you mentioned "Day of the Dead".

Old 12-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
"Shooting yourself in the foot"? I don't think you know what that expression means. When I lived in Illinois, Cinco de Mayo was NOT celebrated. Granted that was some years ago, but it was celebrated here at the time.

I see neither of you mentioned "Day of the Dead".
LOL Cinco de Mayo is DEFINITELY celebrated in Illinois - especially Chicago. Go to Chicago in a few months during it. I got dragged into it by friends when I first moved there and it was a complete s*it show to the point of pretending I was sick on celebration days many times.

The Chicago area has over 600,000 people born in Mexico living in it. There's actual celebrations in the area for their real holidays. Every year there's a huge parade for the real independence day in September in Little Village, for example. This is the 50th year they've done the parade (i.e. started in 1969):
https://abc7chicago.com/community-ev...arade/5523628/

And for the record, I'm very well aware that Denver has a sizable Mexican community and has Mexican culture. But bringing up Cinco de Mayo celebrations - a holiday that Americans believe is a celebration of "Mexican Independence Day" when it's not and not even a real holiday in Mexico - is not going to help your point out with people who don't know that Denver has actual Mexican culture. Day of the Dead is much better to bring up, not Cinco de Mayo.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-15-2019 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
LOL Cinco de Mayo is DEFINITELY celebrated in Illinois - especially Chicago. Go to Chicago in a few months during it. I got dragged into it by friends when I first moved there and it was a complete s*it show to the point of pretending I was sick on celebration days many times.

The Chicago area has over 600,000 people born in Mexico living in it. There's actual celebrations in the area for their real holidays. Every year there's a huge parade for the real independence day in September in Little Village, for example. This is the 50th year they've done the parade (i.e. started in 1969):
https://abc7chicago.com/community-ev...arade/5523628/

And for the record, I'm very well aware that Denver has a sizable Mexican community and has Mexican culture. But bringing up Cinco de Mayo celebrations - a holiday that Americans believe is a celebration of "Mexican Independence Day" when it's not and not even a real holiday in Mexico - is not going to help your point out with people who don't know that Denver has actual Mexican culture. Day of the Dead is much better to bring up, not Cinco de Mayo.
Well, I lived downstate and it was some years ago. I had never heard of Cinco de Mayo before I came here. I am aware of the Hispanic population in Chicago.

I did mention Day of the Dead and didn't get a peep in response.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Well, I lived downstate and it was some years ago. I had never heard of Cinco de Mayo before I came here. I am aware of the Hispanic population in Chicago.

Most cities have day of the dead events so no that doesn’t imply Denver’s culture still isn’t predominantly based on the things white people prefer.

I think you’re confusing “white culture” magnet with “city with only white culture”.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Most cities have day of the dead events so no that doesn’t imply Denver’s culture still isn’t predominantly based on the things white people prefer.

I think you’re confusing “white culture” magnet with “city with only white culture”.
It seems we were doing it well before "most cities". But what would I know, since i live there?

Old 12-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Probably because mentioning Cinco de Mayo as an example to people who know a little Mexican history and culture is head turning.

Also, my guess is certain areas downstate celebrate it nowadays. I would almost 100% guarantee people are celebrating that in Champaign-Urbana.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It seems we were doing it well before "most cities". But what would I know, since i live there?
Can you show that Denver was doing before most cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City