Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh, a city of only 300,000 and metro of 2 million, punches so far above it's weight in terms of cultural amenities, civic institutions, food scene, and built urban form and potential that I struggle to find another city its size that beats it. What do you all think...what other cities come close or beat Pittsburgh of similar size when it comes to these amenities?

I know Cleveland will be a quick response. I know Cleveland has great legacy institutions, but I'd argue it doesn't quite beat Pittsburgh in terms of urban parks and food scene. Very debatable though and a lot will come down to personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 09:54 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
This is largely due to Pittsburgh prominence and wealth in the industrial age. It was considered to be one of the most robust cities of that era with a population pushing 700,000. And the wealth of the Carneigie's, Mellon's etc. were all invested back in the city and why Pittsburgh has so many great institutions that rival even a city like Atlanta/Seattle/Dallas etc.

Sadly the end of the industrial age brought about a decline, but thanks to largely Carnegie Mellon being one of the top tech universities in the nation and the size and reach of UPitt. Pittsburgh's economy has reinvented itself.

If it was not for the investments of Pittsburgh wealth back in the industrial age, Pittsburgh would not be what it is today.

It truly is the definition of a legacy city. And perhaps one of the most underrated in the nation.(Far exceeds: Portland, Austin, Nashville).

Old 11-24-2019, 09:56 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Pittsburgh, a city of only 300,000 and metro of 2 million, punches so far above it's weight in terms of cultural amenities, civic institutions, food scene, and built urban form and potential that I struggle to find another city its size that beats it. What do you all think...what other cities come close or beat Pittsburgh of similar size when it comes to these amenities?

I know Cleveland will be a quick response. I know Cleveland has great legacy institutions, but I'd argue it doesn't quite beat Pittsburgh in terms of urban parks and food scene. Very debatable though and a lot will come down to personal preference.

Pittsburgh metro is 2.35 million, just to clarify. It might seem like a minor point, but there do happen to be quite a few metros with very close to 2 million people, and Pgh is about 15% larger than those, and has a bigger history than most, so it may not be that surprising that it has more things. The smallish city limits population is really only because it hasn't annexed as much of the surrounding area as most other cities- its boundaries for strict city limits are only 55 sq. miles

Old 11-24-2019, 09:58 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Metro size is a big factor here, but if we're just looking at individual cities....

Cleveland (pop. ~ 385,000) comes to mind. Buffalo (~ 258,000) also punches above it weight in that regard.

Some other possibilities include Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Madison, St. Louis, and Rochester.

Overall, many of these cities used to have larger populations and stronger economies that help found and support massive cultural amenities. Some of these cities have lost population (and economic support) in the past decades, but have held onto many of their longtime cultural institutions.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Good points. I’d say even at 2.3 mil, it punches way above its weight. Agree with rowhomecity that it is one of the most under rated by far

Old 11-24-2019, 10:27 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
This is largely due to Pittsburgh prominence and wealth in the industrial age. It was considered to be one of the most robust cities of that era with a population pushing 700,000. And the wealth of the Carneigie's, Mellon's etc. were all invested back in the city and why Pittsburgh has so many great institutions that rival even a city like Atlanta/Seattle/Dallas etc.

Sadly the end of the industrial age brought about a decline, but thanks to largely Carnegie Mellon being one of the top tech universities in the nation and the size and reach of UPitt. Pittsburgh's economy has reinvented itself.

If it was not for the investments of Pittsburgh wealth back in the industrial age, Pittsburgh would not be what it is today.

It truly is the definition of a legacy city. And perhaps one of the most underrated in the nation.(Far exceeds: Portland, Austin, Nashville).
This post is it.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:28 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Love Pittsburgh.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:45 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Beat: Baltimore, St. Louis

Come close: Cleveland

Falls Short in one or more areas: Cincinnati, Nashville, Charlotte

Old 11-24-2019, 12:34 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Beat: Baltimore, St. Louis

Come close: Cleveland

Falls Short in one or more areas: Cincinnati, Nashville, Charlotte

I think St. Louis would be a tie basically, but Pittsburgh has it beat in urban form IMO. Overall it's probably got about an equal amount of amenities to Pittsburgh among the peer cities.

I agree with your others.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:44 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
A mix of long-ago money, current business relevance, and a strong university sector...hard to beat.

Newer cities can play catch-up if they have a lot of money. But that takes generations, and my impression is that Pittsburgh's closest peers typically aren't known for their wealth, whether that's strong public sector funding, billionaire donors, or huge numbers of middle- and upper-middle-income/wealth residents. They typically don't have a ton of urban tourism either, as that can be a big factor for museums etc. Or that's my impression. (They have their share of those things, but enough to play catch-up?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City