Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which wealthy suburb do you prefer?
Main Line, Pennsylvania 29 59.18%
Potomac, MD 20 40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 12:14 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That’s not exactly the correct analogy. The American Kennel club runs all 3 major shows and it acts like horse racing’s triple crown. You win the Nation Dog Show, you become one of the favorites to win the Westminister show, like the tiny bulldog Thor.
The AKC sanctions them, but the Kennel Club of Philadelphia runs the National Dog Show. According to that web page I linked, it actually is older than the AKC.

I think the AKC is like the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to barbecue cookoffs: a sanctioning body that trains the judges but not the organizer of the competitions.

Thor was tiny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:37 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I believe by “liberal ivies” rowhomecity is simply referring to the top tier liberal arts colleges in the Mainline / Philly metro. I don’t believe he meant to imply they are literally a part of the Ivy League.
You are correct. This is why I gave quotations. Liberal ivies is short form for "Liberal Arts Ivy League" institutions.

Not an official body, and obviously not an Ivy League University, but a term to describe the profound academics/legacy of certain small liberal arts institutions.

Within Pennsylvania. Swarthmore, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, Bucknell, Franklin & Marshall and Lafayette are considered to be them. You could also consider Dickinson, but it is just a par below that category IMO.

Maryland really does not have this, and certainly not Potomac.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:07 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,952,089 times
This comparison would be more fair if you included Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Somerset, and Cabin John (basically the Bala Cynwyd, Wynnewood, Narbeth, and Ardmore of the corridor, with Potomac the rough equivalent to Gladwyne), since the PA Main Line begins that the city limit with Philly and including those would begin "MD's version of the Main Line" at the DC line. Potomac has mostly golf courses the showcase the rich and the Bullis School. The shopping center is unimpressive for a community of its profile. The North Bethesda to Gaithersburg corridor is roughly equivalent to the Plymouth Meeting to Phoenixville corridor IMO. I'd pick the Main Line, since I could easily commute to Center City or other parts of the Philly burbs, and also have the advantage of being closer to NYC (which is useful when you've got that money), while still being just a few hours from DC.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:58 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
I would not live in either. I don't care for any suburbs and that stretch of Montgomery County, MD probably has the highest concentration of insufferable personalities in the country. But if I had to choose, I'd live on the Main Line, but then do my best to expose my kids to Philly culture.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
From the Main Line suburbs, when you get off your commuter rail, you're only in Philly Center City. I used to stay in a condo tower a block from Rittenhouse 3 nights per week a couple of years ago so I'm no stranger to Philly. There's nothing wrong with Center City but DC has far more going on. I'd rather get on the Metro at Bethesda and get off in DC.

Of course, if I had that net worth, both of those choices would be pretty far down my list. I'd be living in Vancouver.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:18 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Potomac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City