Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which wealthy suburb do you prefer?
Main Line, Pennsylvania 29 59.18%
Potomac, MD 20 40.82%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2019, 04:42 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

Both are areas known for their affluence. One is old money and the definition of WASP (Main Line) the other is most certainly new money and more international/transient (Potomac).

Which would you prefer. Given you inherited a $50 Million dollar inheritance.

Both are suburban affluent areas of extreme wealth. Both approximate to major cities. Most Main Liners own shore homes in the tony town of Avalon, NJ a mere 1.5 hours away. While many from Potomac have Rehoboth homes, 2 hours away.

Just for reference the Main Line has the 2nd wealthiest zip on the East Coast. Potomac has the 12th wealthiest. Both desirable areas.

Which would you prefer?

Last edited by rowhomecity; 11-27-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 04:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
I'd say Potomac is better for the filthy rich old money types. Main Line might be better for upper middle class.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:56 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
I don't know what Main Line is but I'm going to go with Potomac on this one.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Potomac easily.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I don't know what Main Line is but I'm going to go with Potomac on this one.
If you do not know what the other area is. Then how can you have a fair assessment.

Here is the Main Line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ee...4#action=share

Just to give you context.

The Main Line is home to the 2nd wealthiest zip on the East Coast after only Gold Coast, NY.

Home to the U.S Open, Oldest Horse Show, Polo Show, and some of the most prestigious "liberal ivies" in the USA.

Potomac certainly holds its own as well. I am just laminating what the Main Line is. Think a Quaker Greenwich, CT. Which the Main Line is wealthier.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:37 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Potomac

Old 11-28-2019, 08:48 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
For starters, the Main Line is a much broader area; it'd be much more appropriate to include Chevy Chase and Bethesda in the comparison re: comparable population/land area.

Otherwise, while both areas are certainly wealthy/affluent, the DC environs are much more top-level government executive or diplomat-wealth. The Philly counterpart is quintessentially "old money"/ legacy wealth, with a smattering of new tech/startup- derived wealth.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:05 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
If we include the entire Potomac-Bethesda-Chevy Chase belt, I think this is a good comparison.

I do like the dense/commercial areas in Bethesda and Chevy Chase(s). The built environment is more dense throughout, though not entirely urban, which I do like. Maybe there is an inner Main Line suburb that is more comparable to Chevy Chase, but if there is, I've never been. Penn Wynne/Ardmore would be the most comparable in that way.

All of that being said, I have a tough time picking. I do have a deep appreciation for the countryside feel in the Main Line's further reaches, and there are a handful of nice little downtowns/main streets, Ardmore being front and center. It certainly reminds me the most of Boston's MetroWest- Places like Concord, Lexington, Lincoln, etc.- which is near and dear to my heart.

Ultimately, if I'm filthy rich, I'll probably live in some estate in an elite neighborhood in Chevy Chase. Scoop my $6M house in the middle of a neighborhood close to downtown Bethesda or one of the commercial areas in Chevy Chase itself. That area mirrors Brookline/Chestnut Hill here in MA, which ultimately I would choose over a Lexington.

Both beautiful.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:04 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
For starters, the Main Line is a much broader area; it'd be much more appropriate to include Chevy Chase and Bethesda in the comparison re: comparable population/land area.

Otherwise, while both areas are certainly wealthy/affluent, the DC environs are much more top-level government executive or diplomat-wealth. The Philly counterpart is quintessentially "old money"/ legacy wealth, with a smattering of new tech/startup- derived wealth.
Good descriptions ☝️

Old 11-28-2019, 09:05 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Main Line has fewer transplants. Also, I'd take Great Falls, VA, Bethesda, and Chevy Chase over Potomac. Potomac is more crass than other wealthy DC suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City