Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Dallas suburbs vs South Atlanta suburbs
South Dallas suburbs 36 44.44%
South Atlanta suburbs 45 55.56%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 11:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
South Atlanta suburbs by a mile. Frankly this comparison is not close at all. South Atlanta burbs have much better scenery, the airport, Downtown Jonesboro, Downtown Fayetteville, PTC, the film industry and Lake Spivey. South Dallas suburbs has what???? Downtown Lancaster? South Arlington maybe? This is a landslide in every sense of the word. Comparing the northern burbs of both cities is much more even. Dallas is very north heavy, much more so than Atlanta.
I googled Jonesboro & Fayetteville and I would gladly take southern DFW over that. I’m confused as what’s so special about the places you mentioned? Also why are you guys mentioning places located in the city of Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 11:34 PM

195 posts, read 195,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I googled Jonesboro & Fayetteville and I would gladly take southern DFW over that. I’m confused as what’s so special about the places you mentioned?
They just offer more than anything in South Dallas. More urban areas, better scenery. Nicer neighborhoods etc. South Dallas has nothing like PTC.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
They just offer more than anything in South Dallas. More urban areas, better scenery. Nicer neighborhoods etc. South Dallas has nothing like PTC.
You’re mentioning places located in the city of Atlanta not its southern suburbs.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
You’re mentioning places located in the city of Atlanta not its southern suburbs.
No he ain’t.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No he ain’t.
Hartsfield Jackson is located in the city of Atlanta. I’m just not seeing what’s so special about those places mentioned. All I see is a little town squares and homes located in the woods instead of the prairies like in Dallas. I personally don’t exactly see why it would be a landslide. That’s just my opinion.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:15 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Hartsfield Jackson is located in the city of Atlanta. I’m just not seeing what’s so special about those places mentioned. All I see is a little town squares and homes located in the woods instead of the prairies like in Dallas. I personally don’t exactly see why it would be a landslide. That’s just my opinion.
It's because South Atlanta suburbs have easier access to more jobs than the South Dallas suburbs. Imagine if DFW Airport was in South Dallas instead. Then you have the film industry in the south Atlanta suburbs too. On top of that there are just nicer suburbs on the southern side of Atlanta than Dallas. Peachtree City and Newnan are are very nice. The best the south Dallas suburbs can offer is Cedar Hill, which isn't as nice as the two I named but still a good place to live. The scenary is comparable though.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:28 AM

140 posts, read 141,382 times
If you are talking about the whole metroplex south then Dallas. If just the Dallas side then Atlanta.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:42 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Could someone post some photos, images, links, and info pages of some key parts of the South Dallas suburbs?
There were old threads in the Dallas Forum with photos of the Cedar Hill area, but all of the links are broken. These are Google Street Views from the "Best Southwest" area of Dallas County.

I-20 near Mountain Creek Parkway
I-20/I-35E Interchange in southern Dallas County looking north towards Downtown Dallas.

Cedar Hill
Cedar Hill State Park/Cedar Ridge Preserve
Lake Ridge neighborhood
Hillside Village – Outdoor shopping mall (aka Lifestyle Center).

DeSoto
Frost Farms neighborhood
Windmill Hill Nature Preserve - The city borders of DeSoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill all meet in this area.
Club Ridge Estates neighborhood

Duncanville
Greenbriar Estates neighborhood

Lancaster
Lancaster Photos – My photo thread of neighborhoods and landmarks in the city.
View of Ten Mile Creek from Houston School Road
West Pleasant Run Road
South Bluegrove Road

The Best Southwest Partnership website also has additional information on each community.

Hope this gives you a better feel for the area.

Last edited by Acntx; 12-02-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
I give the edge to the southern Dallas suburbs, but its close.

1. Schools - Dallas
2. Cost of Living - Tie
3. Parks - Tie
4. Transportation - Dallas (overall); [for Public Transportation: Atlanta]
5. Scenery - Atlanta
6. Urban walkable areas - Draw
7. Shopping - Tie
8. Safety - Dallas

The southern Dallas suburbs are actually faring better than I thought they would in the poll, despite having fewer votes and taking all of the following into consideration:

*With or without specified criteria, the southern suburbs of Dallas aren't well-known outside of the DFW area.
*Dallas/Fort Worth posters don't frequent the General U.S. and City vs. City forums as much as Atlanta posters, who are well-represented, opinionated, and vocal.
*There are significantly more resident posters from the southern Atlanta suburbs that actively participate in local forum discussions (something I truly respect ). I'm one of a handful of posters who live in the southern suburbs of Dallas and post on a regular basis. Its a much better situation than it was 12 years ago when I first joined, but I still wish we had more locals signing up and sharing their experiences.
*There are few instances in which similar parts of the two metro areas are compared to one another, especially regarding the southern suburbs of both areas. For example, there is an active thread about Peachtree City's recent decision to lift the moratorium on apartment rezoning that devolved into a southern Atlanta vs. southern DFW suburb comparison before returning to the original topic. In the Dallas and Fort Worth forums, area comparisons tend to be locally focused (North/South suburbs; Dallas/Tarrant counties, etc.) rather than metro-to-metro.

That said, its great to see lesser-known areas being discussed. Places that fly under the radar often have positive attributes that get overlooked.

Last edited by Acntx; 12-02-2019 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-02-2019, 12:41 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What are the good suburbs south of Atlanta? My life experience is with tech companies in the leafy and often upscale suburbs north of the city. Are there towns south of Atlanta with 50% college educated adults?

Peachtree City in Fayette County is the highest end south metro Atlanta suburb, with 57% college educated adults. Virtually all of Fayette County is pretty desirable, but it is considerably less populated than equally affluent suburban areas north of Atlanta. The area is not convenient for those commuting regularly north of downtown, where the metro's white collar jobs are more concentrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City