Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is of higher class city?
Minneapolis 61 71.76%
Denver 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 PM

559 posts, read 1,328,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Re: health care, there are no professional rankings that I'm aware of. I found this, which is a US News ranking, using their metrics: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs/health-care

Minneapolis in general seems way more concerned about their ranking vs Denver.
Do you mean that the City of Minneapolis generally seems way more concerned about their ranking; or do you mean that you personally know everyone in Minneapolis and Denver and how they collectively feel about such rankings?

Old 12-03-2019, 05:32 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaysos View Post
Do you mean that the City of Minneapolis generally seems way more concerned about their ranking or do you personally know everyone in Minneapolis and Denver and how they collectively feel about such rankings?
I mean the bold. /s

There's also this foolish thing with Iowa. We went to a Minnesota History Center film about Minnesota where the narrator actually made fun of Iowa. I felt that was very unprofessional.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM

503 posts, read 803,502 times
Overall, Minneapolis in those categories. Minneapolis is the more educated city while Denver is less uptight and has a much more fun vibe.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:56 PM

5,373 posts, read 5,177,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

There's also this foolish thing with Iowa. We went to a Minnesota History Center film about Minnesota where the narrator actually made fun of Iowa. I felt that was very unprofessional.
Have you heard the way Denverites refer to Colorado Springs and Pueblo??? Both these cities have superiority complexes.

This thread is going to be really subjective as "progress" to one person is not progress to another.

I'd say Denver is more cutting edge and has newer ideas while MSP sits back a bit, but is actually able to implement much better. Which is progress, coming up with it first, or doing it best? I say the latter is, so my vote goes to MSP. It's overall more advanced in "livibility".

Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,704,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Minneapolis is not hurt by the skyways, just the opposite.
Anybody that doesn’t get that needs to spend a winter in MSP.
You're right. The skyways enhance the experience, especially in winter. But it doesn't hurt anything in the summer. There are other issues that have negatively impacted retail and other businesses downtown. Mpls has finally embraced the idea of people LIVING downtown, which in turn will help. But the city is very NIMBY and Nicollet Mall project is a complete disaster.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:14 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,732,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Have you heard the way Denverites refer to Colorado Springs and Pueblo??? Both these cities have superiority complexes.
I rarely ever hear people speak negatively on Colorado Springs. And Pueblo gets made fun of no more than Colfax Ave
Quote:
This thread is going to be really subjective as "progress" to one person is not progress to another.

I'd say Denver is more cutting edge and has newer ideas while MSP sits back a bit, but is actually able to implement much better. Which is progress, coming up with it first, or doing it best? I say the latter is, so my vote goes to MSP. It's overall more advanced in "livibility".
What are some examples of this? There are some I can think of but I feel like Denver has a pretty good record of implementing it’s ideas for the most part. Even if it might take a while. And we’ve been ranked #2 for livability by Business insider this year so I think that counts for something

Last edited by Mezter; 12-03-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 07:21 PM

8,914 posts, read 6,944,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You're right. The skyways enhance the experience, especially in winter. But it doesn't hurt anything in the summer. There are other issues that have negatively impacted retail and other businesses downtown. Mpls has finally embraced the idea of people LIVING downtown, which in turn will help. But the city is very NIMBY and Nicollet Mall project is a complete disaster.
Locals have said 2/3 or people are in the skyways in the winter, and 1/3 in the summer. That's a disaster for any business on the sidewalks only, even if both sets of people are financially similar. And vice versa for businesses in the skyways.

Maybe the skyways increase the pie by bringing more people into Downtown...maybe (they add some, but the lack of concentration can also lose some). But the dilution of pedestrian counts is a big issue.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:59 PM

11,186 posts, read 7,241,090 times
Denver's overrated, and often exists in a bubble of hype. Can't same the same for Minneapolis.

Denver has a rather boring background of culture/history, while Minneapolis is richer and more colorful.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Denver is obviously larger than COS and Pueblo. That's not a good comparison.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:37 PM

503 posts, read 803,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Denver's overrated, and often exists in a bubble of hype. Can't same the same for Minneapolis.

Denver has a rather boring background of culture/history, while Minneapolis is richer and more colorful.
Well, same can’t be said about Minneapolis simply because no one is breaking their back to move there. Denver is much more desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City