Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is of higher class city?
Minneapolis 61 71.76%
Denver 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 PM

5,383 posts, read 5,200,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Denver is obviously larger than COS and Pueblo. That's not a good comparison.
Iowa's smaller than MSP... All I'm saying is Denverites can poo poo on the rest of the state just like MSP can see themselves as "above the cornbelt from which they rise".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I rarely ever hear people speak negatively on Colorado Springs. And Pueblo gets made fun of no more than Colfax Ave

What are some examples of this? There are some I can think of but I feel like Denver has a pretty good record of implementing it’s ideas for the most part. Even if it might take a while. And we’ve been ranked #2 for livability by Business insider this year so I think that counts for something
Really? Maybe it's different in Aurora, but in Denver proper, people think COS is where people bring AKs to revival service on Sunday (partially true, but still) and Pueblo is basically cartel land. Colfax is now the cool place where you can be served craft brews by ladies with significant armpit hair.

They've been on a novedive for implementation the last couple years! The trains are flopping with decreased riders, increased fares, multi year delays, cuts to drivers and times... The airport fired the general contractor and now the remodel is delayed, probably by a year or 2, the convention center remodel has been fraught with fraud, and the citizens have finally revolted to the point where Denver actually feels obligated to try to plow, 1 week after our snowstorm. The bicycle sharing is going away, Car 2 Go left, scooters are supposedly on their way out... So now everyone can snarl in traffic on roads with ice 4 inches thick.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM

6,621 posts, read 16,640,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Well, same can’t be said about Minneapolis simply because no one is breaking their back to move there. Denver is much more desirable.
Oh? Read this: "According to the Met Council, Minneapolis has a population of 429,382 residents as of 2018, adding more than 46,800 people since 2010, equivalent to 12.2 percent growth.

St. Paul has a population of 313,010, adding 27,900 people, for 9.8 percent growth.

Among the other cities with the biggest growth: Woodbury’s population is 70,840 (18.3 percent growth); Blaine, 66,667 (16.6 percent); Lakeville, 64,334 (15 percent); and Plymouth, 78,351 (11 percent)."

Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 PM

37,338 posts, read 39,761,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Both downtowns are hamstrung for retail.

DT Denver is killed by Cherry Creek being three miles away.

DT Minneapolis is hurt by the skyways. Any small store has to choose who to go after -- office workers and car-based customers in the skyways (which aren't 24/7), or the sidewalk and transit crowd. Obviously there's some mixing but there's a strong tendency for people to gravitate toward the sidewalks or the skyways, and both systems have diluted traffic. Bigger stores can span both systems. Obviously there are a million facets to this issue but the overall effect might be less retail than otherwise.
Hrm, you'd think that'd result in more double-floor stores that have both streetfront and interior skyway connections.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:40 PM

8,941 posts, read 6,987,556 times
That would make sense in some cases, but it seems to work best with really big stores.
--Small ones have trouble staffing two entrances and two sales floors with a couple people each for purchases and security etc.
--They'd need handicapped access between floors within their store. Plus stairs or a pair of escalators. All at high expense.
--Most stores below a certain size are used to customers being able to get to everything in relatively few steps, without the subtle disincentive of traveling to another floor.
--Restaurants have the added challenges of carrying trays to other floors etc. Dumbwaiters have added challenges (referring to the little elevators for moving stuff, not waiters!).

Old 12-03-2019, 11:15 PM

37,338 posts, read 39,761,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That would make sense in some cases, but it seems to work best with really big stores.
--Small ones have trouble staffing two entrances and two sales floors with a couple people each for purchases and security etc.
--They'd need handicapped access between floors within their store. Plus stairs or a pair of escalators. All at high expense.
--Most stores below a certain size are used to customers being able to get to everything in relatively few steps, without the subtle disincentive of traveling to another floor.
--Restaurants have the added challenges of carrying trays to other floors etc. Dumbwaiters have added challenges (referring to the little elevators for moving stuff, not waiters!).
Yea, which would seem like it'd be worth it for mid-size or large stores and would put them at an advantage.

I've never been in the skyways before--are the areas they serve generally filled with stores and restaurants? Also, is the system still expanding? I'm familiar with the Montreal RESO system, though that has large parts underground instead of elevated.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:30 PM

4,264 posts, read 3,360,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Oh? Read this: "According to the Met Council, Minneapolis has a population of 429,382 residents as of 2018, adding more than 46,800 people since 2010, equivalent to 12.2 percent growth.

St. Paul has a population of 313,010, adding 27,900 people, for 9.8 percent growth.

Among the other cities with the biggest growth: Woodbury’s population is 70,840 (18.3 percent growth); Blaine, 66,667 (16.6 percent); Lakeville, 64,334 (15 percent); and Plymouth, 78,351 (11 percent)."
People can hype Denver all they want but MSP still seems like a much bigger draw IMO.

Much bigger metro, less isolated, noted music scene, one of the few legacy American major cities that is adding population right now.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:17 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Really? Maybe it's different in Aurora, but in Denver proper, people think COS is where people bring AKs to revival service on Sunday (partially true, but still) and Pueblo is basically cartel land. Colfax is now the cool place where you can be served craft brews by ladies with significant armpit hair.
Yeah, I work and visit Denver daily but I've never heard anything negative about Colorado Springs or anything that implies looking down on them. Not that I can recall anyway. Pueblo's image isn't great but we can't act like that's a Denver specific thing.
Quote:
They've been on a novedive for implementation the last couple years! The trains are flopping with decreased riders, increased fares, multi year delays, cuts to drivers and times... The airport fired the general contractor and now the remodel is delayed, probably by a year or 2, the convention center remodel has been fraught with fraud, and the citizens have finally revolted to the point where Denver actually feels obligated to try to plow, 1 week after our snowstorm. The bicycle sharing is going away, Car 2 Go left, scooters are supposedly on their way out... So now everyone can snarl in traffic on roads with ice 4 inches thick.
Most of those things have already been implemented or are in the stages of being implemented, no?

Snow plowing situation could be better. The biggest frustration are with sidewalks and residential streets. It's not like we get storms like this that often though. Better late than never I guess. The remodeling issues suck, however it's not like it won't get done. Things happen. The Light Rail definitely needs to do something about the pricing but the system is already more expansive and still has higher ridership than the one in the Twin Cities.

The bike sharing issue isn't because Denver wasn't proactive. Denver was one of the first to implement a bike sharing system in the US. Our provider just isn't able to keep up with rising costs, especially when ridership is going down due to the use of Uber/Lyft and even the scooters. From what I can tell they're trying to figure out a better solution because the current one wasn't working as well as planned.

I think it's easy to pinpoint certain things that aren't currently going and you could do that with every city. There's a lot of work to be done but I see progress being made and a lot of plans going into place.

Last edited by Mezter; 12-04-2019 at 12:46 AM..

Old 12-04-2019, 08:47 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,426,143 times
Minneapolis had Prince, The Time, and The Replacements. Denver had Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Fray, and The Lumineers.

Both have a couple dozen good colleges. Both have growing economies. Both have extensive healthcare networks.

MN has mosquitoes the size of small birds. CO has mountain lions that carry off small dogs.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Iowa's smaller than MSP... All I'm saying is Denverites can poo poo on the rest of the state just like MSP can see themselves as "above the cornbelt from which they rise".

Let me clarify. I saw this diss on Iowa at a presentation (film) of the Minnesota Historical Society. I thought it was childish and unprofessional.

Sure, when I was a kid, growing up in a county in Pennsyvlania that had a common border with both Ohio and West Virginia, we made fun of those two, particularly West Virginia. But I've been to the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh and you don't see that crap there!

Old 12-04-2019, 09:51 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post

Annnnnd,
"The new estimates bring Denver’s remarkable run into clearer focus, showing that the city has grown by just under 20 percent since 2010."

Most of the suburban counties have grown by at least 10% since 2010, with only Jefferson under that at 8.5%. (And Jefferson grew by at least one more this July, when my daughter had her baby girl.) Douglas County grew by 20.1%.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/04/1...growth-census/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City