Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is of higher class city?
Minneapolis 61 71.76%
Denver 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,097,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My impression of MN vis a vis CO is that MN is more traditional in most everything. Even at the botanical gardens, Mpls has more traditional midwestern plantings, while the DBG has a lot more variety.
Which "botanical garden" are you referring to? There isn't anything called that in the Twin Cities. Do you mean the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum? That's closest to what we would call a "botanical garden", though it's enormous and has dozens of individual gardens and plantings. In fact, a lot of cold-hardy fruit varieties that are grown worldwide were developed there, like the Honeycrisp apple.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Which "botanical garden" are you referring to? There isn't anything called that in the Twin Cities. Do you mean the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum? That's closest to what we would call a "botanical garden", though it's enormous and has dozens of individual gardens and plantings. In fact, a lot of cold-hardy fruit varieties that are grown worldwide were developed there, like the Honeycrisp apple.
Yes, that's the one. Interesting that the TCs don't even have a botanical garden in their city limits, though there is Como Gardens in St. Paul. But while the Arboretum is nice, it's plantings are very traditional. We saw an exhibit of "home gardens" (I forget the term they actually used) that had the usual impations, begonias, etc. (I see they are a part of the U of MN so that would explain the apple development, similar to "South Farms" in Champaign, IL.) Denver Botanic Gardens is way more cutting edge.
https://www.botanicgardens.org/

Old 12-04-2019, 03:21 PM

12,862 posts, read 9,608,354 times
Denverians could care less about CS or Pueblo. Never talked about those cities.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:15 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,990,045 times
Quote:

Minneapolis in general seems way more concerned about their ranking vs Denver.
Actually, no one in the Twin Cities would care; most understand Denver for what it is - more secluded, slightly better weather, and way overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Minneapolis had Prince, The Time, and The Replacements. Denver had Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Fray, and The Lumineers.
Only difference is the vast majority of Minneapolis musicians / bands are actually from Minneapolis. Earth, Wind, and Fire formed in Chicago, the Lumineers are a fashion-folk band from the east coast and the Fray, well, there is no reason to EVER mention them among the likes of Prince, the Time, and the Replacements; Prince alone had more talent in his left pinky than the musicians in Fray have combined. That said, Minneapolis alone is multiple tiers above Denver / Denver MSA when it come to local music. BTW, I dig DeVotchKa.

Last edited by YIMBY; 12-04-2019 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-04-2019, 07:48 PM

5,366 posts, read 5,153,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Yeah, I work and visit Denver daily but I've never heard anything negative about Colorado Springs or anything that implies looking down on them. Not that I can recall anyway. Pueblo's image isn't great but we can't act like that's a Denver specific thing.

Most of those things have already been implemented or are in the stages of being implemented, no?

Snow plowing situation could be better. The biggest frustration are with sidewalks and residential streets. It's not like we get storms like this that often though. Better late than never I guess. The remodeling issues suck, however it's not like it won't get done. Things happen. The Light Rail definitely needs to do something about the pricing but the system is already more expansive and still has higher ridership than the one in the Twin Cities.

The bike sharing issue isn't because Denver wasn't proactive. Denver was one of the first to implement a bike sharing system in the US. Our provider just isn't able to keep up with rising costs, especially when ridership is going down due to the use of Uber/Lyft and even the scooters. From what I can tell they're trying to figure out a better solution because the current one wasn't working as well as planned.

I think it's easy to pinpoint certain things that aren't currently going and you could do that with every city. There's a lot of work to be done but I see progress being made and a lot of plans going into place.
It's true that there's always room for improvement and there's problems everywhere, but these examples, particularly the bike one sharing goes back to my original point, Denver tried it first, but didn't really have a solid framework to make it last.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,099,283 times
Quote:
Re: health care, there are no professional rankings that I'm aware of. I found this, which is a US News ranking, using their metrics: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs/health-care
It ranks by state, Minnesota # 10, and Colorado #12. Fairly close. My personal experiences tell me that Denver is more innovative, while MN is more traditional. The medical schools in each city have similar rankings: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...-campus-04014; https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate...n-cities-04054

My impression of MN vis a vis CO is that MN is more traditional in most everything. Even at the botanical gardens, Mpls has more traditional midwestern plantings, while the DBG has a lot more variety.

Minneapolis in general seems way more concerned about their ranking vs Denver.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:21 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,017,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Fair enough. I can see how Minneapolis has historically excelled in that area but as of current day it's pretty even imo.

That's just you thinking California is the center of the World. Denverites want nothing to do with California, as evident by the endless (And tiring) complaining over the fact that so many Californians keep moving in.
Doesn't really matter what Colorado natives think. There are no Colorado natives. California natives already out number adult Natives in Nevada. The same will be true for Colorado by 2025. Denver, like Vegas and Portland is just poor man's California. They had very little identity until Californians started moving there.

Now Minneapolis, as I have seen with my own eye, is a nation in itself. There is no outside influence from SF, Chicago, etc. It's rise is organic and holistic. I mean Boulder is really 90% of Denver's cool vibe. Minneapolis stands on it's own. More urban, better looking people, and better culture.

Only draw back of the Twin cities is horrible long winters.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Doesn't really matter what Colorado natives think. There are no Colorado natives. California natives already out number adult Natives in Nevada. The same will be true for Colorado by 2025. Denver, like Vegas and Portland is just poor man's California. They had very little identity until Californians started moving there.

Now Minneapolis, as I have seen with my own eye, is a nation in itself. There is no outside influence from SF, Chicago, etc. It's rise is organic and holistic. I mean Boulder is really 90% of Denver's cool vibe. Minneapolis stands on it's own. More urban, better looking people, and better culture.

Only draw back of the Twin cities is horrible long winters.
Denver had an identity long before the Californians started moving here. "Wild West", "Cowboys", "Ski Bums" and all that. The Libertarian Party got its start in the Denver suburb of Westminster in 1971. Do not believe the Wikipedia article that says it started in Colorado Springs.
https://lpcolorado.org/history/

So you like tall, blond whites. Kind of discriminatory, no?

What's "better" about their culture?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-05-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 AM

7,736 posts, read 6,480,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Minneapolis is not hurt by the skyways, just the opposite.
Anybody that doesn’t get that needs to spend a winter in MSP.

TBH I am now entering my 3rd winter in the Twin Cities and only time I needed to use the skyway was to get from the hotel my family was staying at, to the MPLS convention centre, back in May for my college graduation. I usually just walk down on the streets, but I like the cold anyway.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:40 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,017,850 times
Quote:
Denver had an identity long before the Californians started moving here. "Wild West", "Cowboys", "Ski Bums" and all that. The Libertarian Party got its start in the Denver suburb of Westminster in 1971. Do not believe the Wikipedia article that says it started in Colorado Springs.
https://lpcolorado.org/history/

So you like tall, blond whites. Kind of discriminatory, no?

What's "better" about their culture?
Wild West and Cowboys can be found from the Pacific Ocean to the great plains of Kansas.

Skiing came from Europa. And Snowboarding was invented in Michigan, with Jake Burton having the first bindings on a board at a Michigan Contest.

Again, much of Colorado's history is not unique and found in many other places. It wasn't until Californians started moving there, that people started seeing Denver as "cool" and "hip".

Now that Legal Pot has become ubiquitous for most of the country, Denver has lost much of it's "cool" factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City