Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh or Portland, OR? Similar metros.
Pittsburgh 31 57.41%
Portland, OR 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 01:20 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Give me Portland. Pittsburgh seems like a nice place but Portland has more going for it and I prefer newer cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Portland is one of the most overrated cities in the USA.
You guys say this about every popular upcoming city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Give me Portland. Pittsburgh seems like a nice place but Portland has more going for it and I prefer newer cities.

I never said anything bad about Portland. It is a nice city and certainly offers a more urbane/transit oriented experience than many of its newer siblings. Notate, while Portland does have a solid transit system. Pittsburgh is no slouch and actually ranks higher than Portland in terms of % transit usage.

But Portland and Pittsburgh are no ways in the same league. In terms of civic institutions, Universities, Eds & Meds, Tech. Pittsburgh is in a league that ranks with much larger cities.

Portland is a fine place. But its hype is over stated.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-06-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,170 times
I have spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh and live in the Portland metro. I like both cities equally (oh the shock and horror). There are things I like about both:

Portland: -Ocean and Mountain Proximity
-OG of Environmental Culture along Vermont
-People seem social fluid and pretty easy to talk to
-Well built parks and urban forests
-Quickly modernizing

Pittsburgh:
-My favorite riverfront of city in the US
-Actually more affordable
-Pitt and Carnegie Mellon are absolutely behemoths.
-Historic Architecture and Neighborhoods
-Excellent Sports and Community Spirit

Old 12-06-2019, 09:14 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’d pick Portland.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:38 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
Pittsburgh is kind of a perfect mix of the big player legacy cities and the "cool", quirky newer cities (Portland, Austin, Denver, etc.). I think it has a ways to go in a few areas (embracing transit, working on environmental issues, etc.), but in 10 years it will be there and it changes every year.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:24 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Is Portland still a "popular upcoming" city, though? It's not 1998 anymore.

It's still a city that has a ton going for it, for sure, and still appeals to a younger demographic. But it seems to have matured a bit in its image and growth.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:18 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Pittsburgh is a legacy city from the Industrial Revolution. Most of it's population is in the surrounding suburbs, and the city has been reinventing itself (Eds and Meds). It's a rustbelt town, that has been moderately successful at bouncing back.

Portland is more "post modern". It attracts artists, bohemians, and various counter-culture types because it is cheaper than SF.

Pittsburgh being a legacy city means it is much more urbane, and has more prominent cultural amenities. Portland by contrast, attracts a younger, transient, uber progressive-liberal crowd. Portland really didn't start fine tuning it's urbanity until about 15-20 years ago. Before that, Portland was like a more rainy version of Sacramento. Now Portland stands with San Diego, Denver, and Minneapolis.

I prefer Portland, because of it's location and politics.
Portland has a significantly more walkable and pedestrian-oriented downtown area than San Diego, Denver, or Minneapolis.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I never said anything bad about Portland. It is a nice city and certainly offers a more urbane/transit oriented experience than many of its newer siblings. Notate, while Portland does have a solid transit system. Pittsburgh is no slouch and actually ranks higher than Portland in terms of % transit usage.

But Portland and Pittsburgh are no ways in the same league. In terms of civic institutions, Universities, Eds & Meds, Tech. Pittsburgh is in a league that ranks with much larger cities.

Portland is a fine place. But its hype is over stated.
Portland shines in terms of having a great restaurant/bar scene, a very walkable, pedestrian-oriented downtown area, cool shops, and just a general quirky, funky vibe - especially in the long commercial corridors outside of downtown (e.g Hawthorne, Division, Alberta). It’s a fun, eccentric city. Transit is pretty good but I actually think it’s overrated in that department.

Areas where Portland doesn’t shine is museums, other traditional cultural institutions, universities, diversity, or a strong, diversified economy.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:55 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Pittsburgh. I know if im eventually priced out of Boston, Pittsburgh is a viable #2 option.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:12 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
I like Pittsburgh. It's even more scenic than Portland and I like the hills and townhouses vibe.

But I'll take Portland. I prefer a mix of new and old. For example it's fun to see what's on Zillow, and Pittsburgh's offerings are terrible compared to Portland's, though pretty cheap. Also it has a younger vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City