Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago, Philadelphia, or Pittsburgh
Chicago 50 45.45%
Philadelphia 45 40.91%
Pittsburgh 15 13.64%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 07:32 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times

Advertisements

Probably Chicago....despite its size, it still has a Midwestern-friendly feel to it, which you'd be accustomed to in Louisville. Philly might be a culture shock if you don't already have a bit of an East Coast toughness/hustle to your personality. I don't think a younger person has to worry about a city's financial standing going in, unless they're seeking a government-funded career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 10:28 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Philly for me. I love Pittsburgh too and would choose it over Chicago, but I think Philly is about the most complete city that ever was.

No slight to Chicago, I just don't find it compelling enough (perhaps since I'm from another Midwestern city). It's big enough to be a pain in the ass, and not big enough to be worth it in my opinion.

Uggggh. Your second paragraph just wreaks of insecurity and frankly love the set-up... "No slight to Chicago..."

Segue... All three of these cities are great (or at least very good), but all are incredibly different across many variables.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:09 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Probably Chicago....despite its size, it still has a Midwestern-friendly feel to it, which you'd be accustomed to in Louisville. Philly might be a culture shock if you don't already have a bit of an East Coast toughness/hustle to your personality. I don't think a younger person has to worry about a city's financial standing going in, unless they're seeking a government-funded career.
Or planning on paying taxes.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:16 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Uggggh. Your second paragraph just wreaks of insecurity and frankly love the set-up... "No slight to Chicago..."

Segue... All three of these cities are great (or at least very good), but all are incredibly different across many variables.
I'm from St. Louis, what do you expect. It's in our DNA to resent Chicago. But in all honesty, I genuinely prefer Philly and Pittsburgh in this matchup.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
I'm from St. Louis, what do you expect. It's in our DNA to resent Chicago. But in all honesty, I genuinely prefer Philly and Pittsburgh in this matchup.
There is a big difference between resent and another city seen as a larger rival. I don't think young people feel this way but for sports. Many millennial of St Louis did head to Chicago.

The older much more baggage. They do not have. Each city here is unique. Though some in Southeast PA like to throw Pittsburgh into the Midwest. That goes too far in resentment perhaps too?

Old 12-14-2019, 07:13 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
There is a big difference between resent and another city seen as a larger rival. I don't think young people feel this way but for sports. Many millennial of St Louis did head to Chicago.

The older much more baggage. They do not have. Each city here is unique. Though some in Southeast PA like to throw Pittsburgh into the Midwest. That goes too far in resentment perhaps too?
No, that's not resentment.

It's a recognition of the cultural differences between Eastern and Western Pennslyvania.

Sheesh, even Eastern Pennsylvania has several culturally distinct regions, none of which I would label as Midwestern - though the landscape of Amish country strikes me as a more densely populated version of the Missouri River valley.

But the Lehigh Valley and the anthracite country of Northeast Pennsylvania don't resemble the Southeast either, and you can tell when you've crossed from Chester County into Lancaster County.

Several mountain ridges separate the Southeast from the Southwest, and Pittsburgh is nestled in some of those mountain ridges. It's also a city that was built mainly on one heavy industry, in contrast to Philadelphia's array of industries heavy and light. And the attitudes and behavior of Pittsburghers strike me as much closer to those of Clevelanders, Columbusites and even Chicagoans (well, that may be stretching it a bit) than to those of Philadelphians, Baltimoreans or New Yorkers.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:30 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
... however I am tolerant of the political viewpoints of others as I come from a family that is evenly split when it comes to politics. I basically learned to see things from both sides and I honestly think other people have a right to whatever political views that they have just as I do. I currently have two jobs, but my main job is in the hospitality industry. I have two cats and I am an animal lover. I am single yet I identify as bi sexual. I also love Halloween and everything associated with that time of year, so if anyone could inform me on how Halloween is celebrated in your city and surrounding areas, that would be awesome! I love history as well and I could get lost in museums all day. I love photography and I take pictures on the side as a hobby.

... As previously mentioned, I've always been attracted to bigger cities. Mostly due to the fact that larger cities tend to offer more in terms of high culture and diversity. Another thing I am looking for is a city with a decent public transit system as I am unfortunately unable to drive due to a movement disorder. Louisville unfortunately lacks a decent public transit system and I don't see this changing anytime soon. Any advice would be helpful and please feel free to shoot me a question.
I agree Philadelphia and Chicago will be your best bet for a big city environment with high culture and public transportation. You cannot go wrong with either in the "bang for your buck category." What sets Philadelphia apart from Chicago for me is 1) its historical significance and all of the attractions surrounding its history and 2) its geographic position with access to East coast cities, mountains, beaches, etc for fun day trips. I think you can get *most* of what you get in Chicago in Philadelphia, yet have a much more interesting part of the country at your fingertips. I also think given your politics, you would find Pennsylvania a more interesting place to live as a light blue to purple state. Activism and political participation here is incredibly crucial given the state is considered "the most important swing state of the 2020 election."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Yeah, I have never heard anyone want to "throw Pittsburgh into the Midwest." In fact I really enjoyed my visit to Pittsburgh and am so happy to have it as the state's second city. Its cultural institutions are incredibly impressive for a city its size. It can remain a Northeastern city with Appalachian and "Rust Belt" influences.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:53 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Chicago>Philly>>Pburgh.

That’s the order I would consider them for living or relocating, myself.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:57 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I agree Philadelphia and Chicago will be your best bet for a big city environment with high culture and public transportation. You cannot go wrong with either in the "bang for your buck category." What sets Philadelphia apart from Chicago for me is 1) its historical significance and all of the attractions surrounding its history
I think for actual living, this doesn't matter unless you're working in a particular field of history or you're really into that type of history so much that you'll be going to sites and those types of museums all the time. I am really into history and even that would not be a factor for me, although I love some of the old architecture that Philadelphia has. It's a great city, but that would never be one of my personal factors for wanting to live there.

Quote:
and 2) its geographic position with access to East coast cities, mountains, beaches, etc for fun day trips.
Yes, I think the proximity to other cities like NYC and DC is good for Philadelphia. Some nature too, but as far as nature goes, I find that many people in the US have no idea that there's good nature within day trip range of Chicago. Sure, maybe if you're talking about Iowa you'd be right, but not when you bring parts of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan into the picture.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, I think the proximity to other cities like NYC and DC is good for Philadelphia. Some nature too, but as far as nature goes, I find that many people in the US have no idea that there's good nature within day trip range of Chicago. Sure, maybe if you're talking about Iowa you'd be right, but not when you bring parts of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan into the picture.
I don’t think Chicago can touch Philly when it comes to access to nature. Within an hour or two, you have the ocean, the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, numerous rivers (including the Hudson and Brandywine Valleys), the Pocono Mountains, rolling Piedmont hills dotted with covered bridges, the New Jersey Pine Barrens, the Maryland Eastern Shore and so much more. That’s nature alone. Also within that same reach, you have easy access to NYC, DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, and Cape May and numerous charming and historical small towns.

Philadelphia is arguably the best positioned city in the country when it comes to access to interesting day trips and weekend getaways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City