Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 10:56 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thank you. I thought I was going to roll my eyes into the back of my head reading those comments.
Dang. Do you hate Dallas that much or us for being uninformed souls drawing the only seemingly likely conclusion from the information presented? I didn’t even know they revised the figures each year and I would like to know why there is even a need for a yearly revise.

If you know, please inform me and sorry for not being as informed as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 11:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Dang. Do you hate Dallas that much or us for being uninformed souls drawing the only seemingly likely conclusion from the information presented? I didn’t even know they revised the figures each year and I would like to know why there is even a need for a yearly revise.

If you know, please inform me and sorry for not being as informed as you.
I was not referencing you. No, I dont hate Dallas I actually love Dallas. If people dont know how it works thats cool, but the panic that seemed to ooze from some of the posts (again, not yours) was ridiculous. The "roll my eyes" comment was not directed at people being confused about it but the leaping to conclusion based panic.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:02 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Atlanta and Miami lagged in growth relative to the other large metros.
That's too bad. However, I would not count Atlanta out even if Seattle passes it. Atlanta has been focused much more on redevelopment and creating new urban spaces, not New York urban but urban...

Old 12-12-2019, 11:13 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Ha! I guessed correctly about my home county economic position in MS. #10.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:24 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
To put Atlanta/North GA regional dominance into perspective, you’d have combine Charlotte, The Triangle, and Nashville to (barely) come out ahead. The North Carolina regions (Metrolina, The Triangle, and The Triad) combined still fall well short of Atlanta’s economic output. Earlier this year there was so much chatter about Atlanta’s “falling” dominance, but it doesn’t appear to be falling. Looks like it’s getting stronger.

I mean. It seems as though ATL Vs. those are the same per capita. More populated area has a bigger economy. Who knew.

I don't think ATL is as dominant as you make it out to be though. I mean. That's like saying NYC "dominates" the Northeastern corridor from Boston to DC. There's room for DC, Boston, Philly not to be in the shadow of NYC just as there's room for CLT/RDU/Nashville to not be in the shadow of ATL or Orlando/Tampa in the shadow of Miami or Austin/San Antonio in the shadow of Houston/Dallas despite population differences.

And yes, Atlanta is getting stronger and I don't think a growing south will take away from it....

Old 12-12-2019, 11:29 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Longtime posters may recall that I predicted several years ago, and it looks as if it's coming to fruition: Richmond and Raleigh are separating from their previously thought-to-be peers. It's been happening, and this is further evidence in data yet again...

Richmond's "stagnation" (we've actually had multiple posters correlate that word with Richmond, on this site, throughout this decade) was always greatly exaggerated; people have used that word to describe Richmond in comparison to Raleigh. And as I've defended many times in years past, I've been around both cities for a long enough period of time, the actual eyes and feet on the ground have never shown a separation----->neither does the data unless you strictly and unashamedly favor to population growth only...

Historically, Richmond has always been ahead of Raleigh, and unquestionably Raleigh's remarkable growth across the board allowed it to catch up to Richmond over the last two decades. So they are equals and peers in the truest sense, but I've lost count how many times this website, in my 8+ years here, has said Raleigh "passed" Richmond; that could very well be imminent within the next decade, but considering the fact that this board has threatened for the better part of THIS decade that Raleigh has surpassed or would surpass Richmond, again that is unfounded by the actual lived experience...

Alas I'm proud of both cities, and before we go down the rabbit hole of metro Raleigh (The Triangle), CSA Triangle has a GDP just shy of $140 billion, which places it in the neighborhood of MSAs of (just naming cities I've actually been to) Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Sacramento, among others...

Nobody would ever mistake Raleigh with being on par with any of those cities, in most criteria, so unless you're explicitly looking for larger region correlation, Raleigh as a city always is more realistic to view at the MSA level (and even when they recombine, to view at the Raleigh-Cary future MD)...

Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Sacramento at $145 billion and the energy and heightened livability the city has gained this decade is real. Still manages to be an under the radar city, but as I've said, I've been to a lot of similarly-sized cities as Sacramento, it more than holds it's own in QOL/livability and amenities measures with comparable cities, and does better in certain areas than some if it's more well-recognized peers...

Sacramento's problem is not viability, it's visability, and there will never be a clear fix to that. The challenge now is to keep it from going complete Bay Area, with all the livability and QOL issues there, while still maintaining the sense of place and uniqueness that make Sacramento special...

Old 12-12-2019, 11:52 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I was not referencing you. No, I dont hate Dallas I actually love Dallas. If people dont know how it works thats cool, but the panic that seemed to ooze from some of the posts (again, not yours) was ridiculous. The "roll my eyes" comment was not directed at people being confused about it but the leaping to conclusion based panic.
Gotcha. I was like dang, I feel dumb because I honestly thought Dallas had shrunk too. It appeared that way at least. I learned something new today.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Longtime posters may recall that I predicted several years ago, and it looks as if it's coming to fruition: Richmond and Raleigh are separating from their previously thought-to-be peers. It's been happening, and this is further evidence in data yet again...

Richmond's "stagnation" (we've actually had multiple posters correlate that word with Richmond, on this site, throughout this decade) was always greatly exaggerated; people have used that word to describe Richmond in comparison to Raleigh. And as I've defended many times in years past, I've been around both cities for a long enough period of time, the actual eyes and feet on the ground have never shown a separation----->neither does the data unless you strictly and unashamedly favor to population growth only...

Historically, Richmond has always been ahead of Raleigh, and unquestionably Raleigh's remarkable growth across the board allowed it to catch up to Richmond over the last two decades. So they are equals and peers in the truest sense, but I've lost count how many times this website, in my 8+ years here, has said Raleigh "passed" Richmond; that could very well be imminent within the next decade, but considering the fact that this board has threatened for the better part of THIS decade that Raleigh has surpassed or would surpass Richmond, again that is unfounded by the actual lived experience...

Alas I'm proud of both cities, and before we go down the rabbit hole of metro Raleigh (The Triangle), CSA Triangle has a GDP just shy of $140 billion, which places it in the neighborhood of MSAs of (just naming cities I've actually been to) Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Sacramento, among others...

Nobody would ever mistake Raleigh with being on par with any of those cities, in most criteria, so unless you're explicitly looking for larger region correlation, Raleigh as a city always is more realistic to view at the MSA level (and even when they recombine, to view at the Raleigh-Cary future MD)...
The city of Raleigh is technically located in two separate MSA’s. Over 10% of Wake’s workforce works in a different MSA. Neither Richmond nor Nashville or any other city mentioned has that quirk. There really is no where else in the country where something like this happens, so trying to put it in one box or another for quickie comparisons is fruitless.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:55 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Guys, Dallas did not shrink.

Every year the BEA releases it's annual GDP and adjusts previous years.

So year-over-year, Dallas grew from $482B to $512B
That makes sense. Because I swore Dallas was still booming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
The city of Raleigh is technically located in two separate MSA’s. There really is no where else in the country where something like this happens, so trying to put it in one box or another for quickie comparisons is fruitless. Over 10% of Wake’s workforce works in a different MSA. Neither Richmond nor Nashville or any other city mentioned has that quirk.
Well my next post may help display the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City