Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 03:38 PM

724 posts, read 560,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I mean when a metro like San Jose increases it's GDP per capita by 50k in 5 years(That's more than entire countries like the UK, France, Japan), clearly, there's a bubble somewhere in there. The Tech industry is overvalued right now. The correction will hit Tech the hardest. It'll be interesting to see what the GDP numbers look like in a few years.
But that would affect everyone as every single place has some sort of a tech industry nowadays. Not to mention that through tech, the world economy is more intertwined than ever before. Some areas may be hit harder with a correction, but let’s not pretend that everywhere would be shielded by it.

I know that’s not a popular sentiment in a forum full of people trying to boost where they live, but the reality is that hoping for a segment of the economy to tank just so ___ city falls, and not expecting any kind of fallout to affect your city, is dumb.

It’s not a zero sum gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 04:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
But that would affect everyone as every single place has some sort of a tech industry nowadays. Not to mention that through tech, the world economy is more intertwined than ever before. Some areas may be hit harder with a correction, but let’s not pretend that everywhere would be shielded by it.

I know that’s not a popular sentiment in a forum full of people trying to boost where they live, but the reality is that hoping for a segment of the economy to tank just so ___ city falls, and not expecting any kind of fallout to affect your city, is dumb.

It’s not a zero sum gain.
Looks like you're making a lot of unfounded assumptions about what he meant by his statement. I saw nothing that resembled any sort of cheerleading of SV's fall in his post.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:02 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In the last 5 years, the average increase in the Chicago area GDP is over $22B per year. Dallas' average increase is at just over $23B per year. While the percentage for Dallas is higher, the amount of total GDP gained over these years between these 2 places is about the same.
I wonder how long this will continue? Dallas may really start to catch up in 10-15 years when the MSA's are around the same population.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:42 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I wonder how long this will continue? Dallas may really start to catch up in 10-15 years when the MSA's are around the same population.
Dallas is virtually a twin-cities. Ft Worth has its en identity to that differs from Dallas. Growth so far is solid.

But even Dallas was because of pension debt and other debt. Had its mayor claim it was near bankruptcy. Then it went away. I'd say the state did a helping hand. Did you ever check out Texas debt per person?

Its higher then Illinois. Booming yet debt that has quickly increased might surprise you.

As for Chicago. Its Core s far from having top companies ignore it. The metro is still large and with power. But Chicago's Core has no equal in these newly booming cites. Not anytime soon.

In business circles. Chicago is still a Big Player and on the Global stage. No one should write it off. NYCs debt is astronomical. The state is also in debt more then Illinois. Despite the wealth of mighty NYC.

You can just Google - the real-time debt clock. The National debt all can take you to each states debt per person and % of GDP.

Here is Texas https://www.usdebtclock.org/state-de...ebt-clock.html

Just clock on state debt clocks box on top for others.

But clearly, relocations of companies is their major reliance. From California is big right now. But SF or LA isn't hurting too badly in loses it seems.

As another said. Despite Chicago overall not growing. Its high-end share is and it still is a player in GDP stats.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-14-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 07:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Dallas's GDP is $175B behind Chicago's. If it hasn't caught up already, it's not about to happen in the next decade. Even as Dallas has boomed, Chicago has basically matched what it's done.

Chicago's GDP has increased $175B from 2010 to 2018. Dallas's GDP increased $141B. So even as Dallas booms, the difference in GDP between Chicago and Dallas increased by nearly $35B since 2010.

Last edited by marothisu; 12-14-2019 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-14-2019, 11:02 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Manufacturing GDP by CSA, 2018

It's actually difficult to get industry data for all CSAs and MSAs in a single chart because some industry data in some areas is actually confidential for various reasons.

For example, that's why DC- Baltimore is not on this list-it's confidential probably for national security reasons(defense contractors and related spending).

But I digress.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:34 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Manufacturing GDP by CSA, 2018

It's actually difficult to get industry data for all CSAs and MSAs in a single chart because some industry data in some areas is actually confidential for various reasons.

For example, that's why DC- Baltimore is not on this list-it's confidential probably for national security reasons(defense contractors and related spending).

But I digress.
As others always say. Chicagoland gains very little as a CSA vs Metro. Mostly some fringe rural areas. But in all fronts you use CSAs. It is a stand alone metro. Till more Milwaukee suburbs get included. But not soon.

But the world doesn't use CSA's.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:50 PM

No need to whine. I didnt put up a MSA chart because NY is ommited as confidential, but here it is:

Feel better?

Old 12-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Finance, Insurance & Real Estate GDP by CSA, 2018

Wow@NYC

Old 12-15-2019, 12:46 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Finance, Insurance & Real Estate GDP by CSA, 2018

Wow@NYC
Considering NYC along with London is the financial backbones of the world economy, I'm not surprised by that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City