Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Depends on your definition of significant but the last Cat 5 to hit a major city was Andrew in 1992 and before that was Labor Day in 1935. Miami has gone without a landfalling hurricane of any strength since 2005. (Katrina) the last time Tampa Bay got hit by a Hurricane was also in the 30s.
The problem is that oceans continue to warm around Florida due to man-made climate change so that all Atlantic hurricanes which reach Florida or the Gulf undergo rapid intensification at some point before making landfall. E.g., Hurricane Michael, which luckily only devastated the Florida panhandle as a Category 5 hurricane.

According to Accuweather, there's a 16 percent annual chance of a hurricane passing within 50 miles of Miami each year. That's just Miami! See post 123 here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-2020s-13.html

Even though Hurricane Irma made landfall at Marco Island, it caused 3 to 5 feet of flooding from Homestead to downtown Miami. See post 130 in the above thread. Hurricane Irma hit Cuba as a Category 5 and the Florida Keys as a Category 4.

Miami was within Irma's landfall cone of probability and could have taken a direct hit if the Hurricane hadn't grazed Cuba and tracked west.

https://www.weathernationtv.com/news...ack-the-storm/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:27 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I bet we can pull this same thread from 10 years ago, have the same exact responses and the same exact cities stated, and see that in real life that didn't happen.
Yup.

When are they going to learn: Some cities play checkers, others play chess.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:33 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yup.

When are they going to learn: Some cities play checkers, others play chess.
Yes, and sometimes, features and benefits become lost in the reality, and then....checkmate. I don't think SF is too far from being in check. Fix the problems, and then some minds might change. I'm getting my photos together to share.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
I see Nashville slowing down in the 20's. It's run will come to an end. Really don't see the appeal of the city but currently people do.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I see Nashville slowing down in the 20's. It's run will come to an end. Really don't see the appeal of the city but currently people do.
I agree.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, and sometimes, features and benefits become lost in the reality, and then....checkmate. I don't think SF is too far from being in check. Fix the problems, and then some minds might change. I'm getting my photos together to share.
LOL oh Enean youve been "threatening" me with pics as if they are of me personally having sex with a horse-no one cares.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:50 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes but in some cities, you have no choice.
Not just that. In many cases, paying extortion rates for a small, is the price you pay for opportunity. Not everyone paying $3,500 for a 1br in the Bay Area is doing it because they love the Bay Area. Many are doing it because the opportunities and wages in the Bay Area drastically exceed the opportunities they have elsewhere and it'll enable them to get their career jump started and eventually be able to afford a large single family in the Dallas suburbs, a ranch in Wyoming, or whatever else they want. The reality is that the highest paying wages are generally clustered in a handful of metro areas in this country and if you want access to those opportunities and those wages, you have to go to those places and pay the exorbitant rents. Afterwards, if you choose to stay or move on, that's up to you.

Is it a problem? Yeah, it's a big reason we have a greater urban/rural wage, employment, and opportunity divide than ever. I'm all for finding ways to lure businesses away from and create opportunities outside of the handful of major metros that dominate the economy. But until we solve that problem, the reality is that if you want the best opportunities to make the most money, you are going to have to start by paying a whole lot of money for a little bit of space (likely with roommates).

Old 12-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not just that. In many cases, paying extortion rates for a small, is the price you pay for opportunity. Not everyone paying $3,500 for a 1br in the Bay Area is doing it because they love the Bay Area. Many are doing it because the opportunities and wages in the Bay Area drastically exceed the opportunities they have elsewhere and it'll enable them to get their career jump started and eventually be able to afford a large single family in the Dallas suburbs, a ranch in Wyoming, or whatever else they want. The reality is that the highest paying wages are generally clustered in a handful of metro areas in this country and if you want access to those opportunities and those wages, you have to go to those places and pay the exorbitant rents. Afterwards, if you choose to stay or move on, that's up to you.

Is it a problem? Yeah, it's a big reason we have a greater urban/rural wage, employment, and opportunity divide than ever. I'm all for finding ways to lure businesses away from and create opportunities outside of the handful of major metros that dominate the economy. But until we solve that problem, the reality is that if you want the best opportunities to make the most money, you are going to have to start by paying a whole lot of money for a little bit of space (likely with roommates).
Again, this is life, no?

And the struggle is clearly real everywhere apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marothisu
Percentage of people by MSA who spend 35% or more of their income on rent:
1. San Jose MSA: 36.4%
2. Nashville MSA: 36.6%
3. Phoenix MSA: 37.4%
4T. Charlotte MSA: 37.5%
4T. San Francisco MSA: 37.5%
6. Minneapolis MSA: 37.6%
7T. Dallas MSA: 37.8%
7T. Seattle MSA: 37.8%
9T. Washington DC MSA: 38.2%
9T. St. Louis MSA: 38.2%
11. Boston MSA: 39.2%
12. Austin MSA: 39.4%
13. Chicago MSA: 39.5%
14. Jacksonville MSA: 39.6%
15. Portland MSA: 39.9%
16. Detroit MSA: 40.1%
17. Atlanta MSA: 40.5%
18T. Houston MSA: 40.8%
18T. San Antonio MSA: 40.8%
20. Baltimore MSA: 41%
21. Denver MSA: 41.6%
22. Philadelphia MSA: 42.2%
23. NYC MSA: 43.2%
24T. Las Vegas MSA: 43.4%
24T. Tampa MSA: 43.4%
26. Honolulu MSA: 44.6%
27. Sacramento MSA: 46%
28. Orlando MSA: 46.3%
29. San Diego MSA: 48.2%
30. Riverside, CA MSA: 49.9%
31. New Orleans MSA: 50.6%
32. Miami MSA: 52.7%
33. Los Angeles MSA: 56.9%

Last edited by 18Montclair; 12-19-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 12:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
IMO, I definitely think the Bay Area, Portland, and Seattle growth rates with slow greatly. The very high costs of living and the political/social extremes will wear down on the growth rates. Denver won't be far behind. Austin will slow as its COL rises, but won't slow as fast as the others I listed.

Charleston and Boise will still do well, but level off.

Nashville will continue their hefty growth. But they need to keep an eye on their COL's rate of increase.
I agree with you about Charleston; its geography and road infrastructure won't allow it get but so big. It will ride the wave while it can though.

Boise is an interesting case; it's definitely booming but I don't see any factors that might limit its growth.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:13 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The problem is that oceans continue to warm around Florida due to man-made climate change so that all Atlantic hurricanes which reach Florida or the Gulf undergo rapid intensification at some point before making landfall. E.g., Hurricane Michael, which luckily only devastated the Florida panhandle as a Category 5 hurricane.

According to Accuweather, there's a 16 percent annual chance of a hurricane passing within 50 miles of Miami each year. That's just Miami! See post 123 here.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-2020s-13.html

Even though Hurricane Irma made landfall at Marco Island, it caused 3 to 5 feet of flooding from Homestead to downtown Miami. See post 130 in the above thread. Hurricane Irma hit Cuba as a Category 5 and the Florida Keys as a Category 4.

Miami was within Irma's landfall cone of probability and could have taken a direct hit if the Hurricane hadn't grazed Cuba and tracked west.

https://www.weathernationtv.com/news...ack-the-storm/
Tampa is protected by Geography. The coast is NNE along St Pete so you need a really odd angle to get a good hit on Tampa.

Miami is similar. Most major hurricanes recurve at that latitude. To say any city has a major chance of being hit by a Cat 5 is a very Bold statement because only 3 have done in the last century in the entire country let alone a particular city.

Also of note If Irma had tracked further east it would have been destroyed by Cuba. It only survived because Western Cuba is lower elevation and narrower. So it hits the Keys as a Cat 4 or the east coast as a Cat2/3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City