Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma/OKC/Tulsa vs. Alberta/Calgary/Edmonton
Oklahoma/OKC/Tulsa 15 26.32%
Alberta/Calgary/Edmonton 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:21 AM

444 posts, read 282,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Oklahoma City skyline looks like it's from a much smaller city compared to both Calgary and Edmonton's skyline in my opinion. You would never guess they are at similar sizes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 01:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Oklahoma City skyline looks like it's from a much smaller city compared to both Calgary and Edmonton's skyline in my opinion. You would never guess they are at similar sizes
Canada skylines, for whatever reason, seem to be more impressive than the skylines of comparably sized cities in the US. One thing about Calgary that stands out on a map is that the sprawl ends abruptly. OKC is surrounded by exurban sprawl that seems to go on forever.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I answered that to some extent. Higher per capita income for Alberta than Oklahoma and in downturns there’s a social safety net in Alberta. In Oklahoma, that incarceration rate, lower life expectancy, and lower educational attainment sticks whether good or bad economy. Alberta’s oil is a bit different in that tar sands are relatively costly for extraction so require a particularly high price before it’s really economically beneficial. This means the lower oil prices have been somewhat difficult for Alberta, but its economy is diversified enough that it’s not a complete catastrophe.

Moreover, it started with such a higher standard of living than Oklahoma that it’s not likely the latter will pass the former anytime soon if ever. Additionally, Alberta has a large sovereign wealth fund where for the last few decades they have been banking a portion of their nonrenewable resource proceeds. However, perhaps what’s the largest disadvantage for Oklahoma is that if follows along a certain political tradition where it promises social and religious conservatism as a carrot that’s attractive to some while sneaking in massive giveaways to individual peoples and companies.
A few questions:

1. Would you agree that the U.S. as a whole has higher disposable incomes and a better economy than Canada, usually?

2. Are you saying that yes, U.S. has better economy than Canada, but that Alberta does better than Canada as a whole while Oklahoma underperforms the U.S. as a whole?

3. Provide some evidence of a diversified Albertan economy. Is it really more diversified than Oklahoma?

Old 12-23-2019, 06:44 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Read my first post. I agree that Calgary and Edmonton have larger skylines than OKC. I'm simply saying that for a U.S. city of its size, OKC does have a large skyline, albeit not as large as Calgary or Alberta.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:49 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
I dig that new Ice District development in Edmonton, it has the Stantec Tower, tallest building in Canada west of Toronto.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Read my first post. I agree that Calgary and Edmonton have larger skylines than OKC. I'm simply saying that for a U.S. city of its size, OKC does have a large skyline, albeit not as large as Calgary or Alberta.
Why you have to make the distinction only comparing US city skylines for OKC while you're trying to compare OKC and Alberta is beyond me.

And I like how you're trying to argue points against a place you've never visited with information you superficially researched on the internet...

The whole premise is flawed to begin with...comparing a single US city to an entire Canadian province.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:28 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I much prefer Oklahoma because its in the US of A and warmer.I love Oklahoma.
Christmas day in Calgary gonna be 25 degrees F.

OKC gonna be 70 degrees.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:29 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
A few questions:

1. Would you agree that the U.S. as a whole has higher disposable incomes and a better economy than Canada, usually?

2. Are you saying that yes, U.S. has better economy than Canada, but that Alberta does better than Canada as a whole while Oklahoma underperforms the U.S. as a whole?

3. Provide some evidence of a diversified Albertan economy. Is it really more diversified than Oklahoma?
1. I think you would have to figure it out what your question means. The mean for US and Canadian per capita for disposable income definitely favors the US. The US and Canadian per capita median though is about the same. Part of how that mean can be so high is because the US has households that own sums of money that are extremely large compared to the median average. The other thing is that US households have to worry about healthcare costs and higher education costs a lot more as disposable income is everything after taxes but I believe healthcare is often a pretty necessary cost and not having a higher education is often quite difficult for personal advancement, but if you're making a ton of money it doesn't matter. It is definitely better to be extremely wealthy in the US than in Canada though. The economies of the two work out on a per capita basis to be comparable, though standards of living through measurements like HDI and inequality-adjusted HDI favor Canada a bit while measurements of nominal GDP per capita favor the US.

2. No, I'm not saying the US has a better economy overall than Canada, that's debatable on what better counts as, but they are mostly comparable. Alberta does do best among Canadian provinces by many measures while Oklahoma does poorly among US states among many measures. The odd thing is that Alberta does better than Oklahoma even in economic measures that the US generally does better than Canada on like GDP per capita.

3. You want pies or something? Mind you, nowhere in your quote of me did I say Alberta was more diversified than Oklahoma economically--only that Alberta has diversified so that low oil prices don't equate to a tanking of the economy for them. Also, added to that was the previously mentioned better social safety net, substantial prior investment in infrastructure, and a fairly good sovereign wealth fund.

Of course, they're in two different countries which measure things in different ways, so it's not going to be perfect.

Mind you, this isn't a dig at Oklahomans. There were less than optimal political, governmental decisions through the years, but it's not everyone Oklahoman agrees on every thing and there's a lot of money to be made by at least someone via some of those decisions.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-24-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 05:19 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Is this a joke? Alberta has Banff/Jasper within a day trip from Calgary. Oklahoma has red dirt.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:15 AM

160 posts, read 103,982 times
[quote=Trojan1982;56925886]Your Calgary photo is from the 80's.

here are 2 recent pics of Calgary

https://d38zjy0x98992m.cloudfront.ne...66_xgaplus.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...2BtRcmb-4K.jpg[/QUOTE Calgary's downtown is rather large considering the size of its metro, however I noticed that there are several " twin towers" in the pics, that I find rather generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City