Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 09:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Ouch! Poor Cincy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 05:21 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Brockton have 1 homicide so far in 2020

Springfield, Mass 5
Lawrence Mass 4
Lynn, MA 3
Holyoke 2
Fall River 2
Lowell 1
Chelsea 0
New Bedford 0
Worcester 0
Pittsfield 0
The Feds swept up like 40+ Latin Kings in New Bedford last year. They were responsible for tons of shootings. Seems to have been effective. That city in general is much safer than 7-8 years ago.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:44 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
Toronto rapper "Houdini" shot dead today, bringing the homicides to 30.
Winnipeg up to 17.
I don't think anyone can begin to call Toronto a dangerous city and be taken half seriously until its hitting 100 almost every year, and I don't know if that's ever happened in Toronto.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:43 PM

274 posts, read 173,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I don't think anyone can begin to call Toronto a dangerous city and be taken half seriously until its hitting 100 almost every year, and I don't know if that's ever happened in Toronto.
When exactly did I say it was dangerous?

Old 05-27-2020, 07:46 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
How can this be? I thought Canadian cities are supposed to be extremely safe. I heard bad things about Toronto and Montreal too in recent years.

Is the US having a bad influence on Canada? Like inner city culture spilling over to Canada.
Could be from the music? I know in the UK, There's this very aggressive sub-genre of hiphop called "trap" which is becoming very popular with the teens and young adults in London. It's a large factor in the uptick in gang activity and knife crime. Drugs may also be responsible. Seeing as Canada is even closer, It's very possible negative aspects of our culture are finding its way in Canadian cities.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Could be from the music? I know in the UK, There's this very aggressive sub-genre of hiphop called "trap" which is becoming very popular with the teens and young adults in London. It's a large factor in the uptick in gang activity and knife crime. Drugs may also be responsible. Seeing as Canada is even closer, It's very possible negative aspects of our culture are finding its way in Canadian cities.
No, it's not from trap music, nor grime, nor hip-hop. It's straight-up gang culture and governments being lax (especially in the UK, seems like it's "racist" to fight against gangs now). Sure they listen to those genres but you can't blame the music for an issue that has been around since before rap and hip-hop was a thing.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:59 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
Of Canada's largest 15 metros, Winnipeg almost always has the murder highest rate and has had for decades. Western & Northern Canada consistently have much higher murder rates than Eastern Canada. Most of this is due to the much larger Native population who suffer from poverty, drug/alcohol addiction, domestic violence, high unemployment, low educational attainment, and social isolation and discrimination from Canadians in general. They are vastly over represented in our prison system as they make up only 3% of our population but nearly a quarter of our prison population.

Manitoba's {of which Winnipeg is the capitol} population is 10% Native.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
How can this be? I thought Canadian cities are supposed to be extremely safe. I heard bad things about Toronto and Montreal too in recent years.

Is the US having a bad influence on Canada? Like inner city culture spilling over to Canada.
Canada is not that safe, I mean, eastern Canada is very safe (from Quebec to the maritimes) but western, not so. Montreal is safe, but you need to take into account the demographic...

Canadian population is very old and old people do not do crime (second oldest behind Japan, and very close to Germany).

Montreal is Safer than what it used to be before all the bikers went to jail.
Winnipeg... Always had crime issue but since Canada is not an influential country in the world stage, you never hear about it... Look, for anybody in the world, if you put California in Canada would think that it will be the most violent state while it will be around the middle.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...er-police-say/

5 shot 1 stabbed in the Franklin Field Housing project in Dorchester, Boston. 1 dead

Boston 19

Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
No, it's not from trap music, nor grime, nor hip-hop. It's straight-up gang culture and governments being lax (especially in the UK, seems like it's "racist" to fight against gangs now). Sure they listen to those genres but you can't blame the music for an issue that has been around since before rap and hip-hop was a thing.
I grew up listening to NWA, ice T, Wu Tang clan, Mac 10, Mc Eith, so solid crew, roll deep crew... That did not made me a gangsta, this rapprochement is just taking the easy route to not dig deeper into the real problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City