Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

^next time just post the video lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Why did you cut my post to suit your answer...? Demographic and culture play a lot when it come to violence, a young city is more prone to violence than an old one because most crime / offenses are made by young people and Canada (Quebec more than the average) is a very old country and that plays a role, not the only role but it does play a role.. Just go to any prison in this world and tell me how many new inmate are +60... and in Canada there is more people over 60 than young under 14 so that is first alarming for the next generation and also play a role in lowering the crime rate...

That demographic (more old people than young) explain why Canada can not cut immigration because they need workers to pay for ole people pension.
I didn't include it because it was irrelevant and makes no sense.

Montreal isn't particularly "old" and neither is Quebec really. And even if the average/median age is a bit higher, there are plenty of young people in Montreal to commit violent crimes - if they were inclined to.

This is just another crackerjack box theory similar to your old one about how Montreal has few murders because it's cold in the winter. How do you explain Chicago then? How then do you explain Montreal in the 70s, 80s and into the first part of the 90s?

Old 05-28-2020, 01:16 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
The hip hop culture is very very very small in Montreal. There are some wannabe that claim thug life but they are more wannabe, but wannabe with a gun is still dangerous. The only Canadian city with a kind of strong hip hop culture is by very far Toronto with guyz like Tony yanez, Drake, Choclair, Silver surfer... Montreal had some one hit artist like Dubmatique, Muzion, Bless (who was in the game Def Jam vandeta) and K-maro... Other rappers like Ruffneck, Buzzy bwoy, Yvon kreve, Baxter Dexter, Sans pression... may ring some bells in Montreal but they were just that, kind of known in Montreal and nowhere else. I even met San Pression in the subway and we chated, he said that in Quebec there is simply no music in the hip hop scene and most artist need a job to make ends meet. He was nice.

The guy that made most noise internationally was Roi Henock... And he is one of the worst rapper alive, he became famous in France because he knows how to market himself...
He came to France claiming to fix the broken French hip hop scene and insulting all major french rappers (especially Booba whom he called "pute negre" meaning "**** n#gga" and if he ever step foot in Montreal he will get beat up)... He was claiming to be the king of Montreal-nord but nobody knew him in Montreal... So people were like "WHO THE HELL IS THIS GUY..?" And his interviews was funny, he seemed like crazy, like a retarded but started to make some waves in France... Then he started rapping and... This is where his buzz ended... His rap is just trash... He even said himself he does not understand how people can like him because he is just crap... But people were watching him just to laugh...
One of his most famous line in France was :
"Mon médaillon touche a mon penis" (My neckless touch my penis)
and every 5 seconds he was screaming "T'entend?" (Ya heard?)
He was making videos of him holding a video tape along with a guy speaking arab dressed like a terrorist and in that video he was claiming that this tape show him doing drugs, killing people

So this is the Canadian hip hop scene, there is no way that small of a culture can have some kind of signifiant impact in crime...

Hip hop in Canada is simply not big at all so to claim that Gangsta rap is a major factor is simply false because there is just too few people listening to gangsta rap, for the majority of people in Canada, gangsta rap is Drake and Justin Bieber
These are the Montreal hiphop artists from a few years ago. Judging from what my kids force me to listen to, today you have stuff like Koriass, Alaclair Ensemble, Les Louanges, Dead Obies, Yes McCann, Fouki, Loud, and the quintette of White-B, Lost, Gaza, Random and MB that often make music and shows together as 5-Sang-14.

I can't believe I sound like an expert on Montreal/Québécois hiphop.

You are right that music isn't the only factor in gangsta culture. I am not the one who made the association between the two.

The hiphop in Montreal is aggressive-sounding like hiphop tends to be, but so far its scene has not led to a high degree of violence.

The crowds at shows there don't appear to be as segregated as in some other places either.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:21 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
No, it's not from trap music, nor grime, nor hip-hop. It's straight-up gang culture and governments being lax (especially in the UK, seems like it's "racist" to fight against gangs now). Sure they listen to those genres but you can't blame the music for an issue that has been around since before rap and hip-hop was a thing.
Agreed, but I think people make the connection because quite a few of the homicide victims in Toronto the past couple years have been in the rap game. With that said, rap music doesnt hype them up to commit these shootings, but rather alot of gangs in Toronto start record labels to wash their real source of income.

Put two and two together though. Alot of the yutes who recently dropped are from Driftwood and happen to be hip hop artists, read back to that major incident with Pressa a few years back and then all the **** that went down in Jungle afterwards. Its pretty clear.

My brother was in the streets most of his life and has reformed since being released from Prison. He works in our old community now and tells me these kids are nothing like the kids we grew up around, even the ones that were in that gang life. They have zero regard for anyone and basically are itching to use their gun. Add to that this social media culture where everyone tries to flex like a badman and you have the recipe for trouble.

Hopefully they can get a hold on this before the summer. Toronto is still a very safe city, but in our community (Black community) we bear the brunt of the shootings and murders. Which is why no one really cares. Let the ******s kill each other off, is the attitude of most in Toronto.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
When exactly did I say it was dangerous?
It was more of a statement than a response.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:10 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Could be from the music? I know in the UK, There's this very aggressive sub-genre of hiphop called "trap" which is becoming very popular with the teens and young adults in London. It's a large factor in the uptick in gang activity and knife crime. Drugs may also be responsible. Seeing as Canada is even closer, It's very possible negative aspects of our culture are finding its way in Canadian cities.
Knife crime isn't glorified by hip hop culture in the US. If you stab people you're seen as some sociopath serial killer with mental issues, but if you shoot people you're seen as a cool savage gangster person lol.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:21 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Knife crime isn't glorified by hip hop culture in the US. If you stab people you're seen as some sociopath serial killer with mental issues, but if you shoot people you're seen as a cool savage gangster person lol.
Agree
Or you’re just a broke boy who couldn’t afford a gun and has no friend to hold you down with one. Very few rapper glorify any closer physical confrontations, ‘I don’t biz’ let alone stabbing. That sounds personal not business. Also seems like it’d be easier to get caught that way

Old 05-29-2020, 10:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
2 dead in Dayton after 3 separate shootings and one dead in Cincinnati in the same area that a 9 year old shot a 7 year old.

http://wlwt.com/article/police-23-ye...705330?src=app

Cincinnati now at 37
Dayton now at 16

Old 05-29-2020, 04:52 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Denver 30 homicides so far in 2020

At this time in 2010, they had 10 homicides in Denver.

The number of homicides in Denver from January to May this year as opposed to 10 years ago has tripled.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...crime-map.html

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...enses_2010.pdf

Denver's crime is much different than many cities. So far, two neighborhoods have three homicides with many having one or two.

Denver has widespread areas with moderately high violent crime but the intensity in certain areas is far, far less than a majority of cities.

Denver moderate violent crime for a city of it's size but spread out over a very large area of the city.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 5,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Could be from the music? I know in the UK, There's this very aggressive sub-genre of hiphop called "trap" which is becoming very popular with the teens and young adults in London. It's a large factor in the uptick in gang activity and knife crime. Drugs may also be responsible. Seeing as Canada is even closer, It's very possible negative aspects of our culture are finding its way in Canadian cities.
Uhh. Trap is from the US buddy boy. So does "drill". Only sub genre that is UK made is "grime"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City