Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 07:02 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Yet no single personality is saying enough is enough... 18 in a single day and no protest... This is why I have hard time feeling with all that protests because they seem to march only when a certain color is involved...

Most act out of emotion and when emotion is present, people do not act logically... 18 murders in a single day and no protest... I would love to be able to walk in any part of the US without fearing to catch a straight bullet (I am black).

18 homicides in a single day, they might run out of people to kill
Not get too off topic, but what is your opinion of this "defund" the police movement?

I still haven't heard very clear plans from most people calling for defunding. The United States has a mess of violent crime throughout the country, new actions, methods of safety, enforcement and police training need to be taken, but defund?...how would that work for a city like Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 07:18 AM

34 posts, read 29,410 times
Boston has 17 officially with 86 non fatals. Cities have that in a weekend. Boston truly is the safest city in the US. Numbers do not lie. Boston will never even see 50 again which is still laughably low for a 700k city that claims to have active streets

Old 06-09-2020, 07:45 AM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlogy View Post
Boston has 17 officially with 86 non fatals. Cities have that in a weekend. Boston truly is the safest city in the US. Numbers do not lie. Boston will never even see 50 again which is still laughably low for a 700k city that claims to have active streets
Off the top of my head, San Diego, NYC, San Francisco, Seattle, San Jose, Austin, and LA are all safer cities. Maybe add Phoenix, Sacramento and a couple more, not 100% sure. Yes, Boston is pretty safe but safest big city? No.

Shoutout to California for being a very safe state. It’s definitely got its share of a lot of problems but its safety absolutely cannot be argued.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlogy View Post
There are no stats that claim Boston is the safest US city. (its not). I know this is a homicide thread, but do you realize violent crime goes beyond murder counts?

Also, never say never. Do you think people in 1990 would ever think New York would be one of the safest US cities? No.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:53 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
2 more killed in Philly overnight. 46 and a 19 year old. 5 injured in a drive-by shooting in Chester PA including an 11 year old girl.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:55 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
City Proper? Boston isnt the safest. I dont know where thats coming from because theres tons of cities safer than Boston city proper.

But once we include the Metro, Boston becomes one of the safest MSA with Austin and San Diego. It just so happens that Boston city propper includes the 6 most dangerous census tracts. NY falls a bit because of cities like Newark, Paterson, Yonkers, Bridgeport, etc..

Old 06-09-2020, 07:56 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't think there are any stats that claim Boston is the safest US city. I know this is a homicide thread, but do you realize violent crime goes beyond murder counts?

Also, never say never. Do you think people in 1990 would ever think New York would be one of the safest US cities? No.
Sheesh, that guy again. Cringeeee

Old 06-09-2020, 08:01 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not get too off topic, but what is your opinion of this "defund" the police movement?

I still haven't heard very clear plans from most people calling for defunding. The United States has a mess of violent crime throughout the country, new actions, methods of safety, enforcement and police training need to be taken, but defund?...how would that work for a city like Chicago?

I think the police need extreme reform. Unfortunately in the past efforts to reform the police have met with significant resistance and the reforms undertaken have amounted to band aids and have been ineffective. I believe de-funding is a means to an end where effective reform can be undertaken.

The slogan is horrific and needs to be changed immediately as it requires too much translation. It can be twisted far too easily to mean there will be no more police which just sounds stupid.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:27 AM

142 posts, read 193,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Yet no single personality is saying enough is enough... 18 in a single day and no protest... This is why I have hard time feeling with all that protests because they seem to march only when a certain color is involved...

Most act out of emotion and when emotion is present, people do not act logically... 18 murders in a single day and no protest... I would love to be able to walk in any part of the US without fearing to catch a straight bullet (I am black).

18 homicides in a single day, they might run out of people to kill

You're misinformed. While there may not have been any protest for the violent weekend Chicago just had, every major or smaller city typically has youth groups, programs and stop the violence marches all the time for periods like these. Just because you don't see it on the news doesn't mean there aren't any protest in regards to non police involved crime.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Sheesh, that guy again. Cringeeee
Who me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City