Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 10:03 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
This is not why Chicago lags as a global city. The violence and poverty is actually a symptom and not a cause of the underlying problems that keep Chicago from competing with even its American peers. Chicago chose to entrench economic and racial segregation by developing its urban core rather than a broad gentrification of less attractive parts of the city. By doing that it creates a weird island of white affluence and commerce surrounded by profound decay and dysfunction. Chicago has lagged economically compared to its fast-growing peers like Washington, Seattle, Houston, Phoenix, Atlanta. Part of that is being confined to the economic mess that is Illinois. Part of it is the fact that Americans are older and softer and therefore can't deal with the cold so well. Chicago struggles to catch up because it simply cannot draw the kind of investment that other places can. I hope, and I do not think, it will have a Detroit style decline before it revives. Great Midwestern cities that just implode are unfortunately not uncommon. Detroit is an obvious example and St. Louis and Pittsburgh are the historic ones. Chicago has a much more diverse economy and an educated workforce, so it is much better prepared to meet the challenges ahead. But at some point it actually needs to start meeting those challenges with much more than another downtown condo full of high earning white people from Indiana.
Honestly, Chicago does not lag. There were just Asian cities that grew leaps and bounds and took a chunk of the top 10 list. Chicago still ranks # 8 in AT Kearney's Global rank as a a more respected calculator.

Each time you go on about Chicago having crime cause it to be a terrible city overall and dropping globally one as to correct you as to why American cities have fallen back to Asian ones. Nothing to do with crime or homeless in SF or Seattle. Some keep everything as their agenda. Good thread for you, but you missed the ones in the Political and Controversies forum.

Where are Houston Phoenix and Atlanta on this Global rank?

https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2019

From link.

- This year’s Global Cities Index and Outlook reveal a world in flux, with several top cities at crucial junctures. Will they continue to lead on the global stage? Or are they at risk of losing talent and investment to rising players?

- North America and Europe are still wrestling with political uncertainty and rising nationalism, which is raising questions about the long-range prospects.

- At the same time, the strength of China’s economy and improved openness in the Middle East are propelling cities in these emerging regions toward greater prominence on the global stage.

Again, Houston, Phoenix or Atlanta did not make the top 25 list. Houston does in the FUTURE OUTLOOK list.

Chart alone for below list

https://www.kearney.com/documents/20...=1578677670889

The TOP 10 Global Cities of the Top 25 list.
#1 NYC
#2 London
#3 Paris
#4 Tokyo
#5 Hong Kong
#6 Singapore
#7 LA
#8 Chicago
#9 Beijing
#10 DC

In the Global Future Outlook list. SF, Chicago, LA and DC dropped off the list and NYC dropped to #24 in 2019 from #2 in 2018 even before the Pandemic. US cities ALL dropped from 2018's list for Outlook. Even rising Houston dropped 12 placings to #21 in the world in Future Outlook.

Both List are in the link. US cities all dropped in future Outlook NO PHOENIX or ATLANTA on either list.....

Chicago's Midwest location and determined to have severe winters are a much worst scourge then gang on gang crime.
Overall Crime dropped more then 30% during the Pandemic including other major cities. Gang shootings up we know....

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89241...illings-are-up

Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Chicago all have witnessed a drop of more than 30%. Violent crimes such as aggravated assaults and robberies also fell substantially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 01:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
MTL at 11 now (tbh I thought we were still at 8, no idea about the others)

Old 07-23-2020, 01:33 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,863,541 times
After a tame month of July so far, Cincinnati had homicides on Tuesday and Wednesday that have raised the year's total to 54.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:00 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Honestly, Chicago does not lag. There were just Asian cities that grew leaps and bounds and took a chunk of the top 10 list. Chicago still ranks # 8 in AT Kearney's Global rank as a a more respected calculator.

Each time you go on about Chicago having crime cause it to be a terrible city overall and dropping globally one as to correct you as to why American cities have fallen back to Asian ones. Nothing to do with crime or homeless in SF or Seattle. Some keep everything as their agenda. Good thread for you, but you missed the ones in the Political and Controversies forum.

Where are Houston Phoenix and Atlanta on this Global rank?

https://www.kearney.com/global-cities/2019

From link.

- This year’s Global Cities Index and Outlook reveal a world in flux, with several top cities at crucial junctures. Will they continue to lead on the global stage? Or are they at risk of losing talent and investment to rising players?

- North America and Europe are still wrestling with political uncertainty and rising nationalism, which is raising questions about the long-range prospects.

- At the same time, the strength of China’s economy and improved openness in the Middle East are propelling cities in these emerging regions toward greater prominence on the global stage.

Again, Houston, Phoenix or Atlanta did not make the top 25 list. Houston does in the FUTURE OUTLOOK list.

Chart alone for below list

https://www.kearney.com/documents/20...=1578677670889

The TOP 10 Global Cities of the Top 25 list.
#1 NYC
#2 London
#3 Paris
#4 Tokyo
#5 Hong Kong
#6 Singapore
#7 LA
#8 Chicago
#9 Beijing
#10 DC

In the Global Future Outlook list. SF, Chicago, LA and DC dropped off the list and NYC dropped to #24 in 2019 from #2 in 2018 even before the Pandemic. US cities ALL dropped from 2018's list for Outlook. Even rising Houston dropped 12 placings to #21 in the world in Future Outlook.

Both List are in the link. US cities all dropped in future Outlook NO PHOENIX or ATLANTA on either list.....

Chicago's Midwest location and determined to have severe winters are a much worst scourge then gang on gang crime.
Overall Crime dropped more then 30% during the Pandemic including other major cities. Gang shootings up we know....

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/20/89241...illings-are-up

Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and Chicago all have witnessed a drop of more than 30%. Violent crimes such as aggravated assaults and robberies also fell substantially.
If I am reading this correctly Boston rose from 8 to 7 in outlook. Not dropped.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:37 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Today- Police are investigating after a man and a woman were found shot to death in Jackson Thursday afternoon.

According to public information officer Sam Brown, the bodies were found around 4 p.m. at the Extended Stay Deluxe on Beasley Road (Northside). [WLBT*]

572 Beasley Rd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4UtcPAtkBnK3Kr637

This should place the city at 62 and rate of 37.8.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
For NYC I believe he's using Compstat. A few homicides were taken off Comstat last week but others were recently added. That along with the news can cause confusion. https://compstat.nypdonline.org/2e5c...e7c75c/view/90

For LA I believe he uses the LA homicide report, though they separate parts of LA City for some reason. https://homicide.latimes.com/neighbo...city/year/2020

Also, some homicides get deemed justifiable.
The bolded doesn't matter, at least for LA. Homicide isn't a crime, it's a cause of death. At least for LAPD, they report homicides, not the crimes of murder/manslaughter. If it doesn't lead to charges, it is still reported as a homicide.

The question about the decrease in homicides and sources came up because the numbers they list here are often different from what LAPD COMPSTAT lists. For 7/18, LAPD says LA is at 157, here it is listed as 150 on 7/20. 161 had been listed here the week before. Times Homicide report lists only 138, so that can't be what they are using. LA Times Homicide Report tends to fall further behind throughout the year, as not all homicides make the news.

When I've asked in the past about sources with discrepancies between LA COMPSTAT and what is posted here, the poster just posts links to tv station articles about individual murders. I'm just curious what they are using, and they never respond to the question.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:52 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If I am reading this correctly Boston rose from 8 to 7 in outlook. Not dropped.
Ironically I actually see Chicago as "more global" than Boston. I don't think that either are particularly global cities at all, unless you are willing to consider places like Lyon, Munich, and Krakow "global cities" (and I do not).

Old 07-24-2020, 12:27 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Ironically I actually see Chicago as "more global" than Boston. I don't think that either are particularly global cities at all, unless you are willing to consider places like Lyon, Munich, and Krakow "global cities" (and I do not).
All cities listed are global. Chicago is, well Chicago. No explanation needed. Boston area? Biotech capital, covid vaccine front-runner and education hub. Munich? Also a leader in livability, international trade and an emerging bio science hub. Krakow and Lyon are well known but not on the level of the other three. But you can't argue Chicago isn't global. It's just not true

But yeah I was just countering your point no American city rose.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:11 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Well one could argue that Boston is a global city because its on the Atlantic coast.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:24 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
If Chicago isn't considered a global city, then the list of global cities is extremely limited...

Chicago has a lot of problems, but it checks every characteristic of a global city.

Boston is much smaller, but I could consider a global city on the next tier down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City