Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Crazy to think St Louis murder totals are already nearly 10% of Atlanta's 2019 total 3 days into the year(Keep in mind Atlanta's murder rate is bad too). Absolutely mindboggling.
Looks like Atlanta has had its first one of the year, to my knowledge anyways. I was hoping to go much longer than just the 2nd day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 11:18 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Crazy to think St Louis murder totals are already nearly 10% of Atlanta's 2019 total 3 days into the year(Keep in mind Atlanta's murder rate is bad too). Absolutely mindboggling.
What the hell is up with St Louis !!!

Old 01-03-2020, 12:41 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Thats unfortunately how good chunk of well off city residents function. By large wealth tends tends to form socio-economic bubbles (i.e the rich stay, deal & live with only the rich, while the poor stay, live and deal with the poor, etc..)... Thats not something exclusive to St. Louis, Baltimore or Chicago.

DC, NYC, SF, LA, Miami, hell throw a dart on any major city and just watch truly how similar they all are on a socio-economic lvl.

I've always felt by large the middle class and low income have a substantially more realistic understanding/less jaded view points on how their cities function on a demographic level as they are more likely to interact, explore & live in more areas of the city

I think most people who are born and raised in "x" city fit that bill... it's the transplants who tend to not "get" a cities underpinnings or be surprised when the negatives of city life catch up with them.

Yep, homicides are concentrated in poor and black areas around the country. Maybe the poster you responded to isn't from the US.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:02 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
No homicides in MTL yet but already three days into 2020: 3 stabbings, 1 shooting and 1 attempted shooting. Lots of guns circulating in Canada that are obtained illegally and come from the U.S. Everything has risen the past few years and the government (all levels) aren't being proactive.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:41 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Did they kill 2 people? If so then thata counted as 2, not 1.
1 in Cincinnati

Columbus had a guy kill his wife and child and then killed himself

Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Harvey IL- 1*

Jan 1. - Middle school aged boy shot in the face at a gas station

Old 01-03-2020, 05:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
1 in Cincinnati

Columbus had a guy kill his wife and child and then killed himself
Sad. I saw something similar happened in Chicago as well where a mother killed her 2 young children and then killed herself.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:26 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sad. I saw something similar happened in Chicago as well where a mother killed her 2 young children and then killed herself.
On Christmas Day, 40 year old Erin Pascal threw her children, Allison, 4, and Andrew, 1, off of a 9 storey parking garage at Northeastern University in Boston, before committing suicide. All 3 were found unresponsive at the base of the structure and were pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

Not this year, but I thought it was appropriate to add. Allison and Andrew were Boston's last 2 homicide victims of 2019.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:52 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yep, homicides are concentrated in poor and black areas around the country. Maybe the poster you responded to isn't from the US.
Who knows, but it's a sad reality by and large

Old 01-03-2020, 09:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
On Christmas Day, 40 year old Erin Pascal threw her children, Allison, 4, and Andrew, 1, off of a 9 storey parking garage at Northeastern University in Boston, before committing suicide. All 3 were found unresponsive at the base of the structure and were pronounced dead shortly thereafter.

Not this year, but I thought it was appropriate to add. Allison and Andrew were Boston's last 2 homicide victims of 2019.
That's right - very sad. I wonder if the lady the other day in Chicago took something from that. Miraculously the lady is still alive? It was actually the 7 month old in the bath tub and 2 year old who the mother jumped out of the window with. She also stabbed her grandfather, who is not dead.

"A baby and a toddler are dead, after a mother attacked her family, and then jumped from an 11th floor window in the South Shore neighborhood on Thursday.

One 2-year-old boy – identified as Jontavious “John John” Newell – was found unresponsive in a bathtub, while police say the other – identified as 7-month-old Amir Newell – was thrown from that same window."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City