Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 12:48 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronG1221 View Post
Idk I'm from northeast Baltimore but I've been in Detroit metro for awhile now. When I think of Baltimore's worst neighborhoods I typically think of blocks like 1825 N Chester St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/gLa2qbyhKbAzdJTa7

Detroit and other rough midwest cities are less dense though so I think the empty fields between houses might give some areas a more desolate feel. The worst neighborhoods I've been to in Detroit have been off 6, 7 and 8 mile where it still looks bad but it's not like the streets where every house is burned down or half the block is missing.
Oh don't get me wrong, Baltimore has more than it's fair share neighborhoods/streets that look totally bombed out. I was just responding to the annoying miss-conception that all of Baltimore's worst neighborhoods look like Iraq or Syria, when those are more the exception to the rule than the norm.

I do agree the visual dystopia of Baltimore comes down the fact its housing stock is orders of magnitudes more structurally dense the Detroit so everything is going to be accordingly more in "your face."

Last edited by Joakim3; 04-08-2020 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 01:56 AM

142 posts, read 193,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, Baltimore has more than it's fair share neighborhoods/streets that look totally bombed out. I was just responding to the annoying miss-conception that all of Baltimore's worst neighborhoods look like Iraq or Syria, when those are more the exception to the rule than the norm.

I do agree the visual dystopia of Baltimore comes down the fact its housing stock is orders of magnitudes more structurally dense the Detroit so everything is going to be accordingly more in "your face."
100% agree

Old 04-08-2020, 04:57 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
How does Philadelphia have more murders than NYC? Same goes for Baltimore. Wow.
Philly has had more homicides than NYC everyyear for the past 4 or 5 years. Baltimores reaaaly surprising. NYC has 5.3 times Philly's population, but it has 14.5 times Baltimore's population!

Old 04-08-2020, 05:25 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Philly has had more homicides than NYC everyyear for the past 4 or 5 years. Baltimores reaaaly surprising. NYC has 5.3 times Philly's population, but it has 14.5 times Baltimore's population!
Over the same land area, it's more 4x the size of Philly and 8x the size of Baltimore. Administrative boarders skew the city sizes.

Still Philly & Baltimore or on some next level idgaf in terms of their raw numbers.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:30 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T007 View Post
The more I know/ learn about NYC in general, the more I truly think it's the best City in the World, (Not just in the US though), Of course most people can't afford to own a Home there, but who care's the City is Fantastic, I wish LA had the same Urban Layout, & I wish Chicago had less Crime, both Cities have Deficiencies in which NYC doesn't. The only real City IMO that's like NYC is Toronto, & even then, Toronto is not as much of a Player as NYC, & say London, but I do like Toronto more than London & also NYC more than London, between it & Toronto I'd say I like both pretty equally tho.

Toronto's a Happy Medium/ replacement for NYC though IMO, I even heard Gary Vee (Native New Yorker & Entrepreneur), saying that Toronto felt "New Yorkie" to him, & after NYC it's the City in the World he would live in the most. IMO Toronto has fewer Deficiencies than Chicago, (where it comes to Crime), & is more Urban than LA, it just isn't as big as either, but I still think it's more reasonable to believe it's World Class on a level like NYC than any of the other Big US Cities though, Toronto's claim to fame always took me as a bit more reasonable than the other Big North American player's.
How Calgary and Montreal always been interested in those Canadian cities.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:32 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
NYC has more gentrification than Philly and Bmore people are getting priced out in hoods in Brooklyn and Bronx. NYC is more of destination than those two cities. Center City in Philly is nice along with couple of middle class neighborhoods edge of Philly. It must cheaper place to live.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:59 AM

274 posts, read 173,808 times
NYC is truly a model city for others to look up to. Went from one of the most dangerous cities in North America to one of the safest in only two decades and a half decades.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:59 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
21 shot, 7 killed Tuesday in Chicago.

Warm weather= nefarious opportunity for some

Old 04-08-2020, 08:06 AM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Triple shooting at an Omaha park last night, 1 dead, 2 in critical condition..

8 homicides for Omaha thus far in 2020.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:17 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Montreal at 4 now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City