Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 08:42 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Triple shooting in Baltimore yesterday at 3:30 in the afternoon. Up to 40 for the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You said "If I may tread onto thin ice for a second, he/she is even kinda suggesting that certain components of diversity are more conducive to higher crime rates." Which you punctuated with a tapeface emoji. You can't be that timid and weak that you now can't admit what you said a few posts ago.

I don't have any problem admitting to what I said. But what I said clearly wasn't (as you allege) calling you racist. As I wasn't even referencing any comments made by you.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Look who's talking, someone who thinks Baltimore is a great place, and constantly tries to downplay the fact that the entire city is covered with killing zones.
"Great" is relative term, and no one on this forum even tries to downplay Baltimore's issues.

You simply just don't like the city which is fine, thats your prerogative and I and it's residents will go to sleep just fine knowing that.

Quote:
Canada is 3% black and 1% Latin American. It has a few cities with Asian populations, but not black people. The country is 80% white, and is far less diverse than the United States. Check your facts before you start spewing even more nonsense.
Again.... we are talking about Montreal & Toronto, not Canada (which I already explained)

Quote:
And before you pull out your race card, Toronto is far less black than New York, but still has a higher homicide rate.
I don't need to pull the race card. I'm tri-racial, mixed with African American/Black, Greek & Puerto Rican.

Toronto had a higher homicide rate than NYC only in 2018 because of the Toronto Van Attack where I guy drove over and killed 10 people. 78 people were killed in Toronto in 2019 and the city closed out with a homicide rate of 2.6/100k vs NYC's 3.4/100k in 2019, so no.. it doesn't.

But since everything has to be a emotion fueled measuring contest of sorts on this forum for some bizarre reason... I'll pretend to be pretentious and say both those cities are savage chaotic violent cities that no one should ever set foot in because I live in Japan and NYC only had 13 more homicides than the entire 127 million country did in 2017

Last edited by Joakim3; 02-12-2020 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-12-2020, 08:49 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Again.... we are talking about Montreal & Toronto, not Canada.
Right, which are 90% white or Asian. Nowhere near as diverse as most American cities.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:49 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
And you've lost the debate, because both cities are approx 90% from two continents, compared to say, Oakland, which is 28% black, 25% white, 17% Asian, 26% Latin, 4% Pacific Islander or Mixed Race. No city in Canada comes close to anything like that.
end debate.

Places like Oakland, Sacramento, Jersey City, Las Vegas, NYC, Chicago, LA, Philly, Houston, Boston, DC, Providence, Long Beach, and many more have far greater racial diversity with a sold showing of asian ethnicities and more continents more readily represented than Toronto or Montreal (WHICH IS FRIGGIN 65% WHITE, how is it even in this conversation??)... hell even Tacoma and Aurora.

Montreal isn't even in the conversation.

Boston Public Schools alone -just the schools (55k kids)... Have 74 languages spoken with children represented from Afghani to Zimbabwean. This is just a silly angle.

I get that Toronto and Vancouver sell diversity and are reliant on tit- but their perception of self is seriously warped by their surroundings ( i.e. CANADA)

Old 02-12-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Canada is 78% white, the US 61% white.

If you're gonna play that game and pretend that people like Gloria Estefan, Jose Canseco and Ricky Martin aren't "white" (when they're no paler than "whites" like Michael Dukakis and Robert De Niro), then perhaps French Canadians should be excluded from Canada's white population as well.

Since a majority of French Canadians are at least nominally métis, having at least some indigenous admixture.

So if we recalculate based on that (French Canadians are close to 25% of Canada's population) we could probably bring down Canada's "white" population share to around 55%.

Bingo! I win! (Assuming that this is a win-lose discussion in the first place.)

Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:

But to the topic at hand, Canada and its cities are far less diverse than the United States. (...). You might not like these facts, but that doesn't stop them from being true.
You're assuming that I actually care about where my country ranks in the Diversity Olympics. I don't.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you're gonna play that game and pretend that people like Gloria Estefan, Jose Canseco and Ricky Martin aren't "white" (when they're no paler than "whites" like Michael Dukakis and Robert De Niro), then perhaps French Canadians should be excluded from Canada's white population as well.

Since a majority of French Canadians are at least nominally métis, having at least some indigenous admixture.

So if we recalculate based on that (French Canadians are close to 25% of Canada's population) we could probably bring down Canada's "white" population share to around 55%.

Sell Canada’s strong points..it doesn’t win on diversity when compared to us..it just doesn’t

Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

The vast majority of Hispanics in the US don't look Euro at all. Colorism and racism and immigration fears play into why many check the white box. We also stupidly make them check a color box..you a.l have "Latin American"

Not a whole lot of Ricky Martins and Gloria Estefan's out there. Especially not in the East sans Miami. Maybe 1/8 look european.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:03 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
As of 2/10 Chicago was at 52, which is 18 more than the same point last year. While not as high as the 2016/2017 insanity, this year nevertheless ranks among the highest totals for murder in the last decade.
Your obsession with Chicago intrigues me. Last year was the Polar Vortex which would cut down on crime, but not an excuse. Quit hoping for a banner year, and hope for a reasonable total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City