Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 02:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times

Advertisements

As an American of color, and one that is Black and was born in a black country.

African Americans are closer to white Americans than Quebecois are to English speaking Canadians.

I've experienced both Linguistic diversity and Skin color diversity.

I'm on the UT Austin Campus that's 2% Black, and Enginering which is literally 1% Black. I've been more comfortable here culturally than I was the week I spent in Ibadan, Nigeria. I'm half Yoruba, but I don't speak it. In a week I couldn't understand anyone or barely understood them till they spoke in English, in a group of 100% black Yoruba people I could only speak with the 50% that spoke English. In my Uni classroom where i'll be the only black dude in the room, I can speak and actually interact with everyone. Skin Color is not culture black people in America have very similar culture to white people and it's only grown over time, maybe 100 years ago this was an argument but Acajack is 100% right. Quebecois will never be satisified as long as they speak two different languages in Canada.

He's still wrong though when comparing diversity in America and the U.S, an English-speaker in Montreal has to live there and probably speaks French as a 2nd language not the same as two ethnicities sharing the same space not speaking each others language.

On most diverse country I would give it to Indonesia 1st, Papua New Guineau 2nd and India 3rd maybe then we can throw in a place like the U.S, but I would argue linguistic diversity is significantly more important to diversity than racial diversity, since it's a proven fact that with no linguistic diversity, racial diversity disappears over time--> Dominican Republic/Trinidad and Tobago and all of Latin America being good examples of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 02:25 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

He's still wrong though when comparing diversity in America and the U.S, an English-speaker in Montreal has to live there and probably speaks French as a 2nd language not the same as two ethnicities sharing the same space not speaking each others language.

This is a good point. Native English speakers who live in Quebec and native French speakers outside of Quebec are kind of "bridge" people between the two realities. But they're less than 10% of Canada's total population. Most French speaking and English speaking Canadians live existences that are pretty siloed from the other group.

Even though French speaking Canadians have a much higher rate of knowledge of English than the the % of anglos in Canada who know French, in my experience most Québécois who know English don't know much about the rest of Canada in spite of this fact.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,383 times
Quote:

African Americans are closer to white Americans than Quebecois are to English speaking Canadians.

I'm on the UT Austin Campus that's 2% Black, and Enginering which is literally 1% Black. I've been more comfortable here culturally than I was the week I spent in Ibadan, Nigeria. I'm half Yoruba, but I don't speak it. In a week I couldn't understand anyone or barely understood them till they spoke in English, in a group of 100% black Yoruba people I could only speak with the 50% that spoke English. In my Uni classroom where i'll be the only black dude in the room, I can speak and actually interact with everyone. Skin Color is not culture black people in America have very similar culture to white people and it's only grown over time, maybe 100 years ago this was an argument but Acajack is 100% right. Quebecois will never be satisified as long as they speak two different languages in Canada.

On most diverse country I would give it to Indonesia 1st, Papua New Guineau 2nd and India 3rd maybe then we can throw in a place like the U.S, but I would argue linguistic diversity is significantly more important to diversity than racial diversity, since it's a proven fact that with no linguistic diversity, racial diversity disappears over time--> Dominican Republic/Trinidad and Tobago and all of Latin America being good examples of this.

More languages are spoken in New York City than all of Indonesia

Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
More languages are spoken in New York City than all of Indonesia
While true it doesn't make sense to compare. NYC needs 1 family speaking a language among themselves to measure, Their are only 176 different languages spoken in NYC schools, hence 500+ of those languages are likely languages spoken by a community of less than a couple hundred people.
Nigeria is probably ahead of U.S tbh as well but putting my own country there would be boosting.

https://www.vistawide.com/languages/..._languages.htm

742 Languages spoken in Indonesia. 240+ million people
800 Languages spoken in NYC. 8 million+ people and English is the dominant language with something like 80%+ of all people speaking English well it's probably close to 90% but don't want to overestimate. https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/29/nyregion/29lost.html
The 44th largest language in Indonesia has 300,000 speakers. The 44th largest language in NYC has less than 10,000 speakers, probably less than 5,000 speakers.

Not to mention the 800 languages spoken includes a lot of B.S. i.e dialects of Spanish and even dialects or Arabic and some different African languages, which as an African I know could be argued as dialects. Sure Indonesia has this as well but i'ts nowhere as bad as NYC hence you see 176 spoken in Schools and probably like 300 in Indonesia when you clip some of these languages.

Meanwhile Indonesia's diversity come from being a chain of historically isolated island as well as Papua where people and islands are so isolated their still finding new languages in the jungles of Papua today...
https://www.6sqft.com/new-map-shows-...spoken-in-nyc/

Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:

No offense but your Nigerian from Nigeria. You’re not the beat source for the African American experience especially when you’re around 1.5% black people in your day to day the majority of whom probably aren’t black American. I find non American blacks often have some times perverse, often under informed understanding of black American culture. My own wife is Haitian and born in the US and I still find myself teaching her something new every week.

You don’t have older African American aunts uncle grand parent and great grand parents, so you’ll never really be able to fully understand the hangovers from the past or how they play out today. It would be unreasonable to expect you to do so. Black Americans and white Americans have very large gaps in what they do for recreation, what the listen to for music, what they do occupation ally and where they are economically, never mind historically and everything else I said.

You’re in a city that’s 8% black, Nigerian, born in Nigeria and in a program that maybe be a fraction of a percent african American. Your entire post was about Yoruba people, and the non-black people in your class room. Dawg..you call it “uni” , cmon now....

All this post told me was you’re comfortable around white/Asian people in your engineering classes.

I was more comfortable in Kingston Jamaica and am more comfortable in Baltimore than I am in New Hampshire or Maine or Boulder Colorado. So what’s that mean?

Old 02-12-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No offense but your Nigerian from Nigeria. You’re not the beat source for the African American experience especially when you’re around 1.5% black people in your day to day the majority of whom probably aren’t black American. I find non American blacks often have some times perverse, often under informed understanding of black American culture. My own wife is Haitian and born in the US and I still find myself teaching her something new every week.
I'm from Houston, I went to and graduated from a School that was 30% Black, and my county of Fort Bend that I grew up in is 20%+ black and Harris County has nearly 1,000,000 Black people. I've been to tons of 100% Black neighborhoods in Texas and all over the South, my sister was born in Lafayette, Louisiana the northern side (If you don't know classic railroad town where Black people live in the north and non-blacks live in the South) my dad used to work in a Jail where the plurality of his coworkers were African American and I meet them all the time. Just because i'm in Austin for college doesn't mean I have a perverse view of "African Americans".

Bro you know nothing about me, so please don't try to check me, I definitely have more authority on mainstream Black culture than a Bostonian does. The towns in Texas are more black than most of MA. I only spent the first 7-8 years of my life in Nigeria all of middle school High School and half of Elementary was in the U.S, and so far all of my adult life was in the U.S. Please don't attempt to "check" me again.

Not to mention, Texas has more black people than any other State.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 02-12-2020 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-12-2020, 04:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Not to mention, Texas has more black people than any other State.

Yeah, though Florida, Georgia, and New York barely have less than Texas right now. Massachusetts has just over 500K - Indiana has more than Massachusetts actually.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, though Florida, Georgia, and New York barely have less than Texas right now. Massachusetts has just over 500K - Indiana has more than Massachusetts actually.
Texas used to be fourth, we only recently took first place, we have the fastest growing Black population of the top 4 states.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
What's ironic about this thread and others like it is that the first thing American ask about when they travel to other countries is safety. Not many international cities out there that are more dangerous than just about any typical American city.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What's ironic about this thread and others like it is that the first thing American ask about when they travel to other countries is safety. Not many international cities out there that are more dangerous than just about any typical American city.
Actually that's a bit false. Numerous South American and Central American cities are much more dangerous than even the most dangerous American cities not to count a few places in countries like South Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City