Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 11:50 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Also Boston literally just renamed one of the main 'squares' to Nubian Square.

I cant think of many cities who name things after African culture... "Nubian Square" is a bold move, in the right direction.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nubi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 11:51 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Just for clarification yea no to what exactly having. To be tough or having to be sort of tough is a turn off? I’m assuming the latter just asking. Is it not a city you’d deem desirable for blacks?

I realize I’m different I love Philly, NYC, Baltimore, and Boston . My wife and I have no interest in the south and if we did move it’d be Vegas. I realize I’m different than most in that regard but I’m not alone. No ones wrong for perfecting the south I just think you’ll find the people who’s re still in the north like it for certain reasons. I probably wouldn’t move to Philly though tbh.
I do like Philadelphia, but the only way I'm dealing with that northeast weather is if I'm living in NYC. That's the only way it would be worth it IMO.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:21 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even with the shift, the black percentage of those that live in the South is only about 5-7% higher than the peak of the Great Migration. I think a part of this is the immigration factor in some Northern states, but I think the dynamic of black people just moving to the suburbs or to smaller cities/towns in other parts of those Northern states gets overlooked. As I’ve mentioned on here before, NY’s black population and percentage is essentially equivalent to FL’s, if not slightly higher in terms of percentage. NYC has a lower black percentage than cities like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Poughkeepsie and Newburgh; with Schenectady, Niagara Falls and Middletown slightly lower in percentage than NYC. So, this also should be considered.

I actually was in MA last summer and went to Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Cape Cod(Hyannis) and an amusement park just inside of NH. I saw plenty of black and brown people in all of these places. Ironically, I went to a Soul Food restaurant in Worcester owned by a guy originally from Mississippi. So, I think people that haven’t been to MA may be surprised by how spread out the black(and Hispanic) populations are there.
But when you start looking at those super small, isolated towns with only a few thousand people, you really get to see how much more widespread the black population is in the South vs the North. For example, Poughkeepsie is ~30% black, but the county it's in is less than 10%.

I think states like Florida and Texas are exceptional in that their borders extend into places where blacks did not have large historical presence and have been subsequently settled mostly by other races.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:28 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
New England is very white outside of the major cities. This is completely different from the South where blacks are in the cities, suburbs, and rural areas.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:40 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
But when you start looking at those super small, isolated towns with only a few thousand people, you really get to see how much more widespread the black population is in the South vs the North. For example, Poughkeepsie is ~30% black, but the county it's in is less than 10%.

I think states like Florida and Texas are exceptional in that their borders extend into places where blacks did not have large historical presence and have been subsequently settled mostly by other races.
The thing is thought they’re not at allll small or isolated. All these cities are at or above balck national average for population:

Buffalo, Rochester, Hartford, New Haven, Syracuse, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Waterbury, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Worcester Providence, Trenton, Patterson, Albany, Springfield all have 100k-280k people and they are connected or not isolated at the very least... because they’re are smaller cities and towns with above average black populations in between them like, Ithaca, Mount Vernon, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Plainfield, the Oranges, Atlantic City Schenectady, Chester, Troy, Brockton even smaller black populations in New London CT Newburgh NY or Randolph MA. Can’t forget about Hempstead , LI.

Even cities with below average black populations like Lowell MA and New Bedford MA are so populace and dense (100k people in maybe 12 square miles on average) that their black populations become 7/8k and are mixed in with other people of black descent- that there becomes a nucleus for black culture and expression.

And this is ignoring the main cities of NYC(2 million blacks) Boston (150k blacks) and Philly (600k blacks) all of whom serve as hubs in their areas. I’m discounting a ton of suburbs especially in NJ

You’re never really more than 45 minutes from another substantial concentration of high density black populations in the north really. Even if it’s only 4-5k blacks-it’s a tight not community and more than many rural towns in the south. You end up getting to visit different truly urban areas with black people all over the North.

In the south the population density of the settled areas is much lower and your more likely to be in your car or In a country like area.

It’s preference

Old 01-11-2020, 12:52 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
[quote=Ant131531;57070478]New England is very white outside of the major cities. This is completely different from the South where blacks are in the cities, suburbs, and rural areas.[/

True. But it’s no different than Pennsylvania or most northern states in general for that matter. The south is pretty unique.

Some diverse suburbs in Southern:Central CT and Eastern MA.! There’s not much rural area in those states to begin with in Southern New England . Have you ever thought maybe the blacks who live there enjoy living in more urbanized areas with urban amenities, cultural diversity, good schools, progressive politics, good health care and walkability?

Connecticut in particular is more diverse than your average state. MA and RI are quite literally is right in the middle of the road in racial diversity US but have much higher than average ethnic diversity. This is especially true among the younger populations in those states which are nearing majority minority status. Right now about 48 percent of all youth in CT are minorities, 46% in RI and 42 % in MA.

I like southern diversity and it’s expanse and I do wish there were more of it in New England. That’s part of why I love Jersey.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:15 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Also Boston literally just renamed one of the main 'squares' to Nubian Square.

I cant think of many cities who name things after African culture... "Nubian Square" is a bold move, in the right direction.
https://www.google.com/search?q=nubi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
New Orleans have Congo Square since post slavery.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:25 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The thing is thought they’re not at allll small or isolated. All these cities are at or above balck national average for population:

Buffalo, Rochester, Hartford, New Haven, Syracuse, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Waterbury, Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Worcester Providence, Trenton, Patterson, Albany, Springfield all have 100k-280k people and they are connected or not isolated at the very least... because they’re are smaller cities and towns with above average black populations in between them like, Ithaca, Mount Vernon, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Plainfield, the Oranges, Atlantic City Schenectady, Chester, Troy, Brockton even smaller black populations in New London CT Newburgh NY or Randolph MA. Can’t forget about Hempstead , LI.

Even cities with below average black populations like Lowell MA and New Bedford MA are so populace and dense (100k people in maybe 12 square miles on average) that their black populations become 7/8k and are mixed in with other people of black descent- that there becomes a nucleus for black culture and expression.

And this is ignoring the main cities of NYC(2 million blacks) Boston (150k blacks) and Philly (600k blacks) all of whom serve as hubs in their areas. I’m discounting a ton of suburbs especially in NJ

You’re never really more than 45 minutes from another substantial concentration of high density black populations in the north really. Even if it’s only 4-5k blacks-it’s a tight not community and more than many rural towns in the south. You end up getting to visit different truly urban areas with black people all over the North.

In the south the population density of the settled areas is much lower and your more likely to be in your car or In a country like area.

It’s preference
Blacks outside the South are 95-96% in Metropolitan areas.

Blacks in the South are 72% in Metropolitan areas.

So lower density until you reach micropolitan areas of Black communities.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:27 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post

Nah, Poughkeepsie is essentially 38% black and Dutchess County is about 12-14% black, give or take(depending on who you include. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045219

Dutchess County also has Beacon, a small city that is 18% black(just under 23% inc. in combo, according to 2017 American FactFinder info) and some in parts of suburban school districts like Spackenkill, Arlington, Hyde Park and Wappingers Falls

The thing with NY is that its black population has come in different ways and for a long period of time, the strong immigration factor from Europe played a part in suppressing the black percentage(it was actually about 8-9% in 1790, but didn't get back to that percentage until about 1940 or so). It is a state that had slavery until 1827 due to the gradual emancipation law of 1799, has plenty of places with a strong Underground Railroad presence, attracted those looking for manufacturing and farm work(for the South and the Caribbean) and is still getting black immigrants and migrants from all over the country and world. So, its Black History goes further back than people may realize. Some of the first non native settlers of places like Buffalo, Rochester, Auburn and Fulton were black, as well as Manhattan having a free black community that goes back to the 1640's. Then, I came across this: https://blacknewyorkers-nypl.org/sla...r-the-british/

Of course smaller Southern towns are going to have higher black populations/percentages due to the legacy of enslavement. So, that just comes down to socio-historical reality.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:55 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That is true or they visit a city for two or three days and witness a White person looking at them funny they think they are a expert on the city.
haha. forgot about that one:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/bost...irst-time.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City