Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 03:34 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "metros" don't do it; states do it and it's not exclusive to Southern states. There are several Southern metros where it's great, relatively speaking, to be Black. As a Black man originally from the rural South, what I especially like about a lot of Southern metros is the Black cultural continuity they share with surrounding rural areas.
This is really the difference, as you have quite a few Northern metros that have similar metro percentages as many bigger Southern metros. It’s just that the small town/rural aspect is limited in the Midwest and Northeast minus maybe a portion of southern Illinois and SE Missouri.

I am still waiting on an answer in terms of Austin and maybe even San Antonio being on the list, given that they have a similar black percentage at the metro level as Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 03:47 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
This whole thread has largely become a essay on Black Boston in which the thread is not about just one city.
Exactly! And I tried to let em rock. I have no problem with bigging up your city but this thread has become a Boston vs. Everybody thread. And I didn't intentionally leave Boston off this list because I thought it was a bad city for Black Americans. I just forgot to put them on the list. It's not an official list. Like I said before it's not even in order. I just named a list of cities I constantly see on top cities list for Black Americans or ones I hear Black people praise about or ones I have personal experiences of. But it's not an "official" list. And to be fair I have no problem if any Bostonian said Boston was their #1 city for Black Americans. The issue is you don't have to belittle or shade other cities in the process.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is really the difference, as you have quite a few Northern metros that have similar metro percentages as many bigger Southern metros. It’s just that the small town/rural aspect is limited in the Midwest and Northeast minus maybe a portion of southern Illinois and SE Missouri.

I am still waiting on an answer in terms of Austin and maybe even San Antonio being on the list, given that they have a similar black percentage at the metro level as Boston.
I'd say Austin and San Antonio have more economic reasons for being on the list than cultural.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:

It's no straight answer like I stated before I was just putting some cities with some favorable attributes like COL/ economy/safe/etc.

I didn't intentionally leave Boston off. Hell if I were to do this unofficial list all over again I'd add Boston and Nashville to the list over Austin and San Antonio personally.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:56 PM

To answer the question posed in the title of the thread, if I had to choose the one region that best balances cost of living and economic opportunities with a robust Black cultural infrastructure and a balance of largely positive QOL indicators, pound for pound it would be the NC Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill). It's not everyone's cup of tea but I'd argue it represents the line of best fit here.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say Austin and San Antonio have more economic reasons for being on the list than cultural.
This is what I was thinking, but was curious as to what would be the answer.

Also, the NC Triangle area over DC?

Old 01-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Here is an interesting article in regards to black median household income growth: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...united-states/

Old 01-12-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
This is what I was thinking, but was curious as to what would be the answer.

Also, the NC Triangle area over DC?
It's a close call but I think a lower cost of living and not as much of a reputation for crime in general (although Durham in particular has made its fair share of headlines concerning crime over the years) gives the Triangle the edge. That's why I also specified that it is a 'pound for pound' assessment from my perspective.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
This whole thread has largely become a essay on Black Boston in which the thread is not about just one city.
And it’s absolutely the fault of the “chasing whiteness” crowd. Not those who defend Boston’s black community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Bostonborn has been generalizing and marginalizing the entire south and Black people in the south this entire thread. Do you not see that? I guess it's cool to pick on the south but when I counter that with facts than all of a sudden "why even make this post". Hypocritical.
In his own ranking, he put Boston at #18 below plenty of southern metro areas!!

Look, my goal here isn’t primarily to defend BostonBorn, but to make sure that we don’t end on the [honestly disgusting] sentiment of “Boston blacks are just seeking white validation”. I’ve honestly never heard such trash in my entire life.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 01-12-2020 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-12-2020, 08:12 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
And it’s absolutely the fault of the “chasing whiteness” crowd. Not those who defend Boston’s black community.
Well, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City