Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 01:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Yes bro, i'm just tryna gauge if the black people on this thread really feel like there's no hope for sustained prosperity in traditionally urban areas for black people-and why that is.
This is what I mean.You draw a lot of conclusions. Just because someone like one thing doesnt mean they cant like the other also. It can be for different reasons.
Your thinking is very narrow.Maybe you are young and thats why but when you make statements knowing only one side ,then you come across ass biased as you cant say you know something to be true and havent experienced other ways and places that can show a different perspective.
Its one thing to have an opinion but you put way to many words in peoples mouth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 01:42 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:

I'm just a little uncomfortable with the idea of us moving into areas other (white) people have already exhausted and used up and have deemed less desirable-maybe there are some valid reasons for them leaving? Where there's smoke there's fire type thing.
I would have to think there is a middle ground in there somewhere.

There are lots of diverse suburbs that are viewed very favorably by different types of people. Middle class white people dont tend to be bothered by living among black people, they are bothered by living close to poor people regardless of race. White people in suburbs (in my experience) arent as bothered by ethnic diversity but they are bothered by economic diversity.

In the end people do tend to like living among their own, but that commonality could be economic or ethnic or racial.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
This is what I mean.You draw a lot of conclusions. Just because someone like one thing doesnt mean they cant like the other also. It can be for different reasons.
Your thinking is very narrow.Maybe you are young and thats why but when you make statements knowing only one side ,then you come across ass biased as you cant say you know something to be true and havent experienced other ways and places that can show a different perspective.
Its one thing to have an opinion but you put way to many words in peoples mouth
My thinking is not narrow-I’m asking for some perspective and honestly you’re getting on my last nerve to put it gently, straight up not even talking to you in that comment, One..

Old 01-15-2020, 02:04 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I would have to think there is a middle ground in there somewhere.

There are lots of diverse suburbs that are viewed very favorably by different types of people. Middle class white people dont tend to be bothered by living among black people, they are bothered by living close to poor people regardless of race. White people in suburbs (in my experience) arent as bothered by ethnic diversity but they are bothered by economic diversity.

In the end people do tend to like living among their own, but that commonality could be economic or ethnic or racial.
Yea I’d like to think we can find a happy medium of comfortable suburbanization and urbanization. Doesn’t Seem inconceivable/impossible . I wish sometimes we could be the gentrifiers farther than the gentrified.. as well as suburban residents. Sometimes I look at trends and think we’re leaning a bit far one way.

But for the record I think expanding our footprint broadly in healthy numbers over a large land area can’t hurt us politically -it can only help as we gain more of a voice outside of just America’s urban areas and more broadly in our own states.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-15-2020 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-15-2020, 03:46 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
i definitely hear your point redlion. I have a newborn son myself. My wife and I have located several schools charter/parochial/exam/public and private schools and begun looking into their admissions policies and criteria.

I want to note that in most cities crime has been reduced dramatically and if you're a strong guiding force in your kids life you can generally steer them out of gangs and they're gonna be just fine. Add to this the fact that there are more options and accessibility for schooling/education than in years past (charters, magnets, privates [I went private my whole life on HEFTY financial aid], exam schools, catholic internet supplement) and I just don't really feel like leaving the urban environment entirely. It afforded me an independent and connected lifestyle as a youth and really was instrumental in in my development culturally because my family was for so many amazing city services.

As for gentrification that's real-and can be tough to stay in place if you want to at times. I gotta give that up. But often i find there are still further out white neighborhoods in the city blacks can and do move into but theyre generally less desirable.

I have family that I think was able to do things they wouldn't have been able to do as easily in the burbs. I think it might afford my son many of the same experiences/opportunities (now will it be Baltimore i don't know, a good part of me would rather raise him back in Boston) Suburbs have growing poverty, gang membership and other social issues and are more vulnerable to economic crashes and downturns. I sort of dislike the isolating nature of the 'burbs as well and think about how my son with all that tech and all that isolation would learn socialize. It's just a matter of personal preference and tit seems most black people agree with you.

I'm just a little uncomfortable with the idea of us moving into areas other (white) people have already exhausted and used up and have deemed less desirable-maybe there are some valid reasons for them leaving? Where there's smoke there's fire type thing.
There are more options for magnets/privates/charters depending on what city you're in. In my journey of trying to find that perfect balance of urbanization/suburbia I find that that dynamic varies depending on the city.

As far as the nature of burbs, it's no different than city centers. No suburb is alike even if they tend to have the usual generic look to their neighborhoods/subdivisions.

Perfect example: There are plenty of Suburbs I wouldn't live here in Houston's metro because they lack good school districts, lack diversity, heavy crime and other social ills that were once associated with the inner city. Matter fact one of the worst areas in the metro is located in the suburban areas called Southwest Houston. At one point in time during the 80s an area called Alief was the place to be. Eventually that turned into a suburban ghetto due to so many affordable apartment complexes clustered with each other.

So when I speak of what suburbs can offer i'm not referring to ones that eventually become areas with concentrated poverty. If a city had an urban area that had better options for academics and quality of life and OFFERED the Black experience i'm accustomed too than I would live there over any burb in a heartbeat. That's not really the case in certain cities.

That's why I choose to move to areas that are socioeconomically and racially diverse. No matter if their urban or suburban. It's just as of right now that seems to be the way of the land in most major cities. Smaller cities a little different.

Also there's other factors that come into play that one might consider when choosing where to stay. That's one of the reasons I made this thread. I wanted to see what other cities had to offer for Black Americans that will move us in a more progressive manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Thats true but its the part that is unique to black people that is as important or more for blacks to navigate.
White kids can go there whole life and never know what it feels to be the minority.
The snide comments,racial slurs,not able to find a barber,or even see a person of color in a position of authority. These things on top of those things whites have to consider is what makes things harder to decide
Exactly! It's so much other factors that we have to take into consideration than other groups of people. Unfortunately that's how it is living in America.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
My thinking is not narrow-I’m asking for some perspective and honestly you’re getting on my last nerve to put it gently, straight up not even talking to you in that comment, One..
You have some nerve.lol
Well now you know how it feels. Maybe you wont be so quick to call out people as sell outs fpr joining the military
You just said you dont feel black people should move into areas already exhausted by whotes.Thats narrow thinking.Blacls dont just come from urban areas. Its statements like those that shows you dont have a lot of understanding outside of Boston that blacks have been living everywhere like whites since this country was founded.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:46 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Who is actually black here?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It doesnt matter all can respond as it is an open forum but one should know what they are talking about as an example ,a white person who is marrried to someone who is black or grew up in a majority black area.
Like Tommy on Power.lol(some of yall will get that)

Old 01-15-2020, 11:32 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
im whining? I made a mere quip about why exactly are we more fixated on suburbs. That's a "whine" if it wa just a pivot than just say that.

"It was just brought up to change topic"

No need to get touchy. I take it you all prefer suburban areas over city cores, yes? I wonder why exactly? Or is that a whine? We can't just talk about black suburbanization/abandonment of urban areas?
There's no "fixation." Again, someone wanted to get us back on track and asked a question about middle-class Black suburbs and that's what we started talking about. It had nothing to do with personal preference. It's nothing to get in a tizzy over and you're just as free to simply ask the question you want to discuss instead of asking "Why are we not talking about xyz?" It's really not that difficult and it keeps the discussion flowing. At least that poster had enough sense to change gears but it seems like you're just in the mood to be contentious about any and everything. Or better yet, feel free to start your own thread about the topic at hand that excludes suburbs. You have all of these options at your disposal to discuss specifically what you wish to discuss instead of complaining that we're not talking about what you want to talk about.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City