Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 03:26 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
You can’t school someone that already had prior knowledge of this. My train of thought was post Katrina. Which I was perplexed about the influence particularly New Orleans had on Houston prior to Katrina, which was originally why the initial statement was made.
Well, they had to have had some type of relationship/connection for the bulk of Katrina evacuees to be moved to Houston and for Houston’s hosting of Essence and Bayou Classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 03:50 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, they had to have had some type of relationship/connection for the bulk of Katrina evacuees to be moved to Houston and for Houston’s hosting of Essence and Bayou Classic.
That’s post Katrina man leave it at that. The way you see Texas is just starkly different from the way black people that were born and raised in Texas see’s things. We’ve been able to see the black community evolve in the state and the various influences that have help shape black culture in Texas.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 01-16-2020 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-16-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
That’s post Katrina man leave it at that. The way you see Texas is just starkly different from the way black people that were born and raised in Texas see’s things. We’ve been able to see the black community evolve in the state and the various influences that have help shape black culture in Texas.
I’m done!

Old 01-16-2020, 04:18 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
I’m confused by the last part. Lol. How do you disagree with what I said but turn around to say that black Houstonians have roots from East Texas, Southwest Louisiana, and New Orleans? Lol. Those shotgun houses in the wards in Houston were built by black Louisiana transplants because they lived in similar style homes in Louisiana. The late 1800s began a lot of black migration from Louisiana to Houston, a time where the black population in the area started to take off.
I said the majority of 2nd/3rd gen Black Houstonians roots are from rural communities along the Brazos River/ Southwest Louisiana/ and East Texas.

Even though there has always some migration from New Orleans to Houston during the early 20th century it wasn't as significant as Southwest Louisiana.

What i'm saying is the rural areas of Louisiana played a role in shaping the culture of Houston's black population but it wasn't the leading region shaping the culture. It simply added to it. The bulk of that came from rural communites in the counties of Fort Bend and Brazoria. Others were descendants of those enslaved in the city and the other half were those coming from East Texas looking for work after WW1.

New Orleans around that time was still more of a major hub in the game. More so than Houston so it was no need for that many Black New Orleans residents to migrate to Houston. No matter if their shotgun homes in 3rd and 5th Ward that show a connection to Louisiana via Haiti via West Africa that still doesn't mean that Louisiana was the dominant influence on Black culture in Houston pre-Katrina. Hell, you see shotgun houses pop up in other southern cities as well.

And the Black Migration from SOUTHWEST Louisiana to Houston happened more so post WW1 mostly due to the Mississippi Flood displacing those communities in smaller towns.

Quote:
Houston was the biggest metropolitan area closest to New Orleans and could handle the large influx of people affected by Katrina more so than any other city in close proximity. That was the main reason for the transportation to Houston. The City of Houston offered assistance to New Orleans as well.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I said the majority of 2nd/3rd gen Black Houstonians roots are from rural communities along the Brazos River/ Southwest Louisiana/ and East Texas.

Even though there has always some migration from New Orleans to Houston during the early 20th century it wasn't as significant as Southwest Louisiana.

What i'm saying is the rural areas of Louisiana played a role in shaping the culture of Houston's black population but it wasn't the leading region shaping the culture. It simply added to it. The bulk of that came from rural communites in the counties of Fort Bend and Brazoria. Others were descendants of those enslaved in the city and the other half were those coming from East Texas looking for work after WW1.

New Orleans around that time was still more of a major hub in the game. More so than Houston so it was no need for that many Black New Orleans residents to migrate to Houston. No matter if their shotgun homes in 3rd and 5th Ward that show a connection to Louisiana via Haiti via West Africa that still doesn't mean that Louisiana was the dominant influence on Black culture in Houston pre-Katrina. Hell, you see shotgun houses pop up in other southern cities as well.

And the Black Migration from SOUTHWEST Louisiana to Houston happened more so post WW1 mostly due to the Mississippi Flood displacing those communities in smaller towns.

Houston was the biggest metropolitan area closest to New Orleans and could handle the large influx of people affected by Katrina more so than any other city in close proximity. That was the main reason for the transportation to Houston. The City of Houston offered assistance to New Orleans as well.
From what I read and from what I was told, black Louisianans started to come during the late 1800s. I stood correct when I found this out because I thought they started coming in the 1920s too.

Most of the black natives I come into have roots in Southwest Louisiana. The rest comes from East Texas.

My point about Houston’s part in the post-Katrina efforts was the relationship and ties it had with New Orleans, despite the proximity.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:53 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Northern Louisiana is culturally different from Southern Louisiana, which is why that poster seems to be so confused and obtuse about the state’s influence on Black Texans. Northern Louisiana is much more traditionally/stereotypically southern (much more Protestant than Southern Louisiana for one) than Southern Louisiana, which has much more of the Catholic influence and creole culture that most people think of when they think of Louisiana...Shreveport seems to be an extension of East Texas in some ways and I’d argue that Black Texans influence Louisiana just about as much as Black Louisiana influences Black Texan culture. It’s a huge exchange between the two. Similar to how Black North Carolinans have an influence on Black Culture here in Maryland and vice-Versa.

Texas is a huge state that covers multiple regions, so it’s shouldn’t be any surprise that people from different regions prefer different parts of the state, much less have an influence on different parts of the state.

DFW/North Texas has almost always been a lot more popular with Northern Louisianans, Arkansans and Oklahomans while Southern Louisianans seem to gravitate towards Houston. I noticed these influences long before Katrina BTW...when I went to college in Hattiesburg in the late 90s/early 2000s, I had lots of friends from New Orleans and Houston was more on the radar to them as the big city to go to rather than Dallas.

Even The Atlantic wrote an article about how New Orleans had been losing ground to Houston since the 50s...way back in 1978... New Orleans: I Have Seen the Future, and It's Houston - People have been leaving SE Louisiana for years to find work in Houston. Migration between the two peaked with Katrina, but that was not the beginning of Louisiana culture in SE Texas by a long shot.

Also, Southern Louisiana has far more people than the Northern Part of the state and a much more pronounced and overt culture that’s noticeable in metro Houston, which is slightly smaller than DFW, so the Northern Louisianans and Arkansans tend to blend in a lot more in DFW while Southern Louisianans stick out way more in Houston.

These ties and influences extend into Mississippi to a degree. I lived in Jackson for many years and noticed how popular Dallas seems to be among them while folks I knew from Biloxi-Gulfport seemed to gravitate towards Houston. And there were some influences from DFW in Central MS. Building styles, mentality, food, some styles/fashions (although Black Mississippians do NOT rock that shag haircut though) etc. Mississippi is where a few regions of the South collide because there’s also a significant pull towards Atlanta, Memphis, and New Orleans besides the Texas cities. So you have the Western South and the Southeast and the Gulf South and the Mid-South colliding somewhere around I-55 and I-20.

It’s not much different Than saying how much Black Alabamians have had an influence on Black Atlanta culture and vice-Versa and can still acknowledge that other people have had an influence on the culture there (black New Yorkers especially, but I didn’t see much Black Detroiter influence there in spite of the fact they have large numbers in Metro Atlanta too).

I’ve always said Houston feels like a big Baton Rouge or Metairie while Dallas feels like a big OKC/Shreveport for a reason. And I mean that in a nice way, not to insult either city.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 01-16-2020 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-16-2020, 05:19 PM

163 posts, read 156,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Northern Louisiana is culturally different from Southern Louisiana, which is why that poster seems to be so confused and obtuse about the state’s influence on Black Texans. Northern Louisiana is much more traditionally/stereotypically southern (much more Protestant than Southern Louisiana for one) than Southern Louisiana, which has much more of the Catholic influence and creole culture that most people think of when they think of Louisiana...Shreveport seems to be an extension of East Texas in some ways and I’d argue that Black Texans influence Louisiana just about as much as Black Louisiana influences Black Texan culture. It’s a huge exchange between the two. Similar to how Black North Carolinans have an influence on Black Culture here in Maryland and vice-Versa.

Texas is a huge state that covers multiple regions, so it’s shouldn’t be any surprise that people from different regions prefer different parts of the state.

Even The Atlantic wrote an article about how New Orleans had been losing ground to Houston since the 50s...way back in 1978... New Orleans: I Have Seen the Future, and It's Houston - People have been leaving SE Louisiana for years to find work in Houston. Migration between the two peaked with Katrina, but that was not the beginning of Louisiana culture in SE Texas by a long shot.

Also, DFW/North Texas has almost always been a lot more popular with Northern Louisianans, Arkansans and Oklahomans while Southern Louisianans seem to gravitate towards Houston. I noticed these influences long before Katrina BTW...when I went to college in Hattiesburg in the late 90s/early 2000s, I had lots of friends from New Orleans and Houston was more on the radar to them as the big city to go to rather than Dallas.

Also, Southern Louisiana has far more people than the Northern Part of the state and a much more pronounced and overt culture that’s noticeable in metro Houston, which is slightly smaller than DFW, so the Northern Louisianans and Arkansans tend to blend in a lot more in DFW while Southern Louisianans stick out way more in Houston.

These ties and influences extend into Mississippi to a degree. I lived in Jackson for many years and noticed how popular Dallas seems to be among them while folks I knew from Biloxi-Gulfport seemed to gravitate towards Houston. And there were some influences from DFW in Central MS. Building styles, mentality, food, some styles/fashions, etc. Mississippi is where a few regions of the South collide because there’s also a significant pull towards Atlanta, Memphis, and New Orleans besides the Texas cities. So you have the Western South and the Southeast and the Gulf South and the Mid-South colliding somewhere around I-55 and I-20.

It’s not much different Than saying how much black Alabamians have had an influence on Black Atlanta culture and can still acknowledge that other people have had an influence on the culture there (black New Yorkers especially, but I didn’t see much Black Detroiter influence there in spite of the fact they have large numbers in Metro Atlanta too).

I’ve always said Houston feels like a big Baton Rouge or Metairie while Dallas feels like a big OKC/Shreveport for a reason. And I mean that in a nice way, not to insult either city.
Great post. Follow I20 and I30 historical black migration into DFW and I10 into Houston

Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:

Texas is a huge state that covers multiple regions, so it’s shouldn’t be any surprise that people from different regions prefer different parts of the state, much less have an influence on different parts of the state.

Also, DFW/North Texas has almost always been a lot more popular with Northern Louisianans, Arkansans and Oklahomans while Southern Louisianans seem to gravitate towards Houston. I noticed these influences long before Katrina BTW...when I went to college in Hattiesburg in the late 90s/early 2000s, I had lots of friends from New Orleans and Houston was more on the radar to them as the big city to go to rather than Dallas.

These ties and influences extend into Mississippi to a degree. I lived in Jackson for many years and noticed how popular Dallas seems to be among them while folks I knew from Biloxi-Gulfport seemed to gravitate towards Houston. And there were some influences from DFW in Central MS. Building styles, mentality, food, some styles/fashions (although Black Mississippians do NOT rock that shag haircut though) etc. Mississippi is where a few regions of the South collide because there’s also a significant pull towards Atlanta, Memphis, and New Orleans besides the Texas cities. So you have the Western South and the Southeast and the Gulf South and the Mid-South colliding somewhere around I-55 and I-20.

It’s not much different Than saying how much black Alabamians have had an influence on Black Atlanta culture and can still acknowledge that other people have had an influence on the culture there (black New Yorkers especially, but I didn’t see much Black Detroiter influence there in spite of the fact they have large numbers in Metro Atlanta too).

This is a really good post and well stated. I 100% agree with this.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:04 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
Quote:

DFW/North Texas has almost always been a lot more popular with Northern Louisianans, Arkansans and Oklahomans while Southern Louisianans seem to gravitate towards Houston. I noticed these influences long before Katrina BTW...when I went to college in Hattiesburg in the late 90s/early 2000s, I had lots of friends from New Orleans and Houston was more on the radar to them as the big city to go to rather than Dallas.

It’s not much different Than saying how much Black Alabamians have had an influence on Black Atlanta culture and vice-Versa and can still acknowledge that other people have had an influence on the culture there (black New Yorkers especially, but I didn’t see much Black Detroiter influence there in spite of the fact they have large numbers in Metro Atlanta too).

Excellent post here.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:32 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Dallas area absorbed quite a lot of Katrina victims, many of whom settled here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City