Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 05:42 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
A place that, I'm surprised hasn't been brought up is, Southern half of Prince Williams County. It's easily 20%-40% Black.

Woodbridge all the way to Triangle all seem to have large if not plurality Black populations, and 100,000 dollar incomes is common in these towns. Combining the population+location (Prince William is definitely the most looked down portion of NOVA out of the big 5; Loudoun/Fairfax/Alexandria/Arlington/PW but it's still NOVA).

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5219#RHI225219

Here, are just the CDPs and towns, and half the population of this area seems to be in areas that aren't even covered by CDPs. The county overall is 22% black and has a median income of 107,000 USD.

Unlike PG County, which is brought down by struggling inner beltway suburbs, the county's homicide rate is around 1.5 per 100,000, and it didn't increase significantly throughout the pandemic. On top of that, the most crime prone group in the area is around the Northern County, Salvadorian community (Manassas area) although the Southern half has it's fair share of crime too. So it's not like it's one of those situations were a crime-infested black community is in a really wealthy area.

Why isn't this area discussed more. Is it the stereotypes of PGC, Maryland being where it's at for black folk. Because it isn't like Montgomery County and Howard County don't also have significant black populations.

I feel like we ignore suburban Virginia and Maryland as well as places like South Cobb, just because, a region like Southern Atlanta (Southern DeKalb, Clayton, Southern Fulton) and Prince George's County, exists. Stafford County, Alexandria, Frederick (town), Montgomery County, Prince William and Spotsylvania, Fredericksburg, Anne Arundel and Howard aren't PG or Charles and are still clocking in well above the national average of black populations, in predominantly upper middle class areas. Their also nearer too, or in the case of Alexandria a part of the popping part of the metro area.

Honestly, the areas I named above is what separates Atlanta and D.C from Houston and Dallas, more than majority/if not plurality black suburbia. That areas so wealthy can consistently have 20%+ black populations.
It is somewhat similar with SE Queens/SW Nassau County in NY or even the Best Southwest in the Dallas area. Both are generally predominantly black, middle class concentrations in those areas that may get mentioned, but not as much as the concentrations in the Atlanta and DC areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 06:49 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivemoor89 View Post
Wow good post I like your Idea just as the other
More detail and by looking at Demographic Black market
Like black demographic pretty much factual. I wouldn't put San Antonio on there or Austin both cool buy Bay Area or La more black oriented base.I would put Charlotte before Dallas because a larger diverse black Population and more black oriented base than Dallas but it's growing still a little race issues too not like Houston
California born n Raised I'm just burn out of the West Coast in general especially for single Man more of a women paradise I myself prefer New York or Dc I like the urban feel I'm from San Fran Oakland area I love the black conscious and unity which very strong back East
Where are you getting that Charlotte has a larger more diverse black population than Dallas?

Old 11-04-2021, 09:37 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
PWC is just a little bland and exurban. Not really hopping. I'd prefer MoCo. Maybe even Charles County. I'm more partial to Maryland than NoVa. Hate the traffic and it's a bit more all American out there.

Old 11-04-2021, 11:37 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
I think that The reason prince william county is “ignored” is 1) proximity to established historic upper income black communities in DC and Maryland that overshadow it, 2) it’s relatively recent growth, 3) negative perceptions from both Virginians and Marylanders (for example google “Hoodbridge” and 4) distance from DC.

People living in NW DC joke that Arlington is too far for them so a place like Woodbridge is not even thought about.

I do think PWC will be increasingly seen as a good option for black families as both it and nearby Stafford County are safe with high incomes.

Edit: also keep in mind that many of the black families in PWC live there due to ties to the military ties so if you don’t have those ties there’s plenty of other options for black families that are closer to job centers in the core.

Edit: it’s also not cheap.

Last edited by 908Boi; 11-04-2021 at 11:51 AM..

Old 11-04-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think that The reason prince william county is “ignored” is 1) proximity to established historic upper income black communities in DC and Maryland that overshadow it, 2) it’s relatively recent growth, 3) negative perceptions from both Virginians and Marylanders (for example google “Hoodbridge” and 4) distance from DC.

People living in NW DC joke that Arlington is too far for them so a place like Woodbridge is not even thought about.

I do think PWC will be increasingly seen as a good option for black families as both it and nearby Stafford County are safe with high incomes.

Edit: also keep in mind that many of the black families in PWC live there due to ties to the military ties so if you don’t have those ties there’s plenty of other options for black families that are closer to job centers in the core.

Edit: it’s also not cheap.
Hoodbridge? I was in Woodbridge all the time... The random exurban communities that are considered hood in the DMV totally blow my mind... especially in a CSA with West Baltimore in it..

Old 11-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Hoodbridge? I was in Woodbridge all the time... The random exurban communities that are considered hood in the DMV totally blow my mind... especially in a CSA with West Baltimore in it..
Well you know how places with a large black or Latino population get stereotyped as “hood” even if they really aren’t. Combined that stereotype with unruly bored teenagers pretending to be hard and you get a stereotype that Woodbridge is a ghetto or “the hood”. Rampant classism in the DMV (from both white and black people) also as you know.

When you google crime in PWC you’ll get results like this : https://www.fox5dc.com/news/2-teens-...lle-police-say

BUT https://www.princewilliamtimes.com/n...a0e76c192.html

PWC has 7 homicides in 2020 ina year where violent crime skyrocketed across the nation,

There are gangs such as MS-13 but these gangs exists throughout suburban DMV and throughout the country. Northern Virginia including PWC is very safe.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:07 PM

I’d also add that for DC/PG black residents, they are used to living in neighborhoods that are majority or almost entirely black so neighborhoods that are “only” 20% black or plurality black are generally considered not black neighborhoods. It’s all about perception.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well you know how places with a large black or Latino population get stereotyped as “hood” even if they really aren’t. Combined that stereotype with unruly bored teenagers pretending to be hard and you get a stereotype that Woodbridge is a ghetto or “the hood”. Rampant classism in the DMV (from both white and black people) also as you know.

When you google crime in PWC you’ll get results like this : https://www.fox5dc.com/news/2-teens-...lle-police-say

BUT https://www.princewilliamtimes.com/n...a0e76c192.html

PWC has 7 homicides in 2020 ina year where violent crime skyrocketed across the nation,

There are gangs such as MS-13 but these gangs exists throughout suburban DMV and throughout the country. Northern Virginia including PWC is very safe.
It's absolutely ridiculous. Ridiculous. Woodbridge isn't even that black (31%) to feed such a detrimental stereotype.

The suburban areas save for a few in inner inner PG people were calling hood felt so forced it was grating. Baltimore was at least more realistic and had far more hood areas in the MSA so it makes sense when people were saying that about certain areas. DC MSA barely has any hoods, really..Its hella wealth, suburban and manicured.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It's absolutely ridiculous. Ridiculous. Woodbridge isn't even that black (31%) to feed such a detrimental stereotype.

The suburban areas save for a few in inner inner PG people were calling hood felt so forced it was grating. Baltimore was at least more realistic and had far more hood areas in the MSA so it makes sense when people were saying that about certain areas. DC MSA barely has any hoods, really..Its hella wealth, suburban and manicured.
Yeah as a NJ native, I have stop myself from rolling my eyes when people describe certain areas around here as hood. DC has some of the best suburbs in the country, even in Maryland. Baltimore is a whole other beast of course. Nothing in NoVa compares to Baltimore’s hoods. And even the worse areas in DC or PG aren’t quite as bad IMO save as you say a couple spots. I’m more cautious on 14th ST in Columbia Heights than anywhere in Prince George’s tbh lol.

Old 11-04-2021, 03:09 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,655,643 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Yeah as a NJ native, I have stop myself from rolling my eyes when people describe certain areas around here as hood. DC has some of the best suburbs in the country, even in Maryland. Baltimore is a whole other beast of course. Nothing in NoVa compares to Baltimore’s hoods. And even the worse areas in DC or PG aren’t quite as bad IMO save as you say a couple spots. I’m more cautious on 14th ST in Columbia Heights than anywhere in Prince George’s tbh lol.
Well it is the suburbs. Nothing in DCs suburbs should compare to anything like Baltimore City. Those few spots is what gives PG its reputation though. If you divide it by the beltway most if not around 80% of murders happen inside the beltway with about 300-350k people. Thats comparable to most cities that size.

Last edited by boreatwork; 11-04-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City