Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 04:10 PM

19 posts, read 9,642 times

Advertisements

Very interesting discussion. The reality is that any desirable place to live is going to cost you. It doesn’t matter if you are black, white, brown, pink, or green. It’s probably always been like this, but we sort of have a have and have nots situation developing in most US metros. Even here in Central Florida it has gotten expensive to where the locals are being priced out.

As a single, unmarried black man without children of the Gen Y (millennial) group, a lot of what OP touched on are nice to have, but as someone who has never made big money, those other things are secondary to #2. Can I find a good paying job that will allow me to build a life in said place? That’s why I’m willing to consider places that blacks don’t really go to whether it is weather, lack of diversity, or cost. One man’s opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 11:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaExiled View Post
Very interesting discussion. The reality is that any desirable place to live is going to cost you. It doesn’t matter if you are black, white, brown, pink, or green. It’s probably always been like this, but we sort of have a have and have nots situation developing in most US metros. Even here in Central Florida it has gotten expensive to where the locals are being priced out.

As a single, unmarried black man without children of the Gen Y (millennial) group, a lot of what OP touched on are nice to have, but as someone who has never made big money, those other things are secondary to #2. Can I find a good paying job that will allow me to build a life in said place? That’s why I’m willing to consider places that blacks don’t really go to whether it is weather, lack of diversity, or cost. One man’s opinion.
I'd say your best bet is smaller cities with metropolitan areas under or a little over 1M.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:56 PM

472 posts, read 346,956 times
Memphis, NOLA, and Jackson all have really strong Black middle classes. In Memphis especially, there is a strong professional class. These cities are not on the same level as Atlanta, but still offer decent amenities (especially NOLA and Memphis).

Old 07-25-2022, 09:14 PM

577 posts, read 562,664 times
Jackson, MS has a case to make in that it is the highest percentage black medium to large metro (50%) and notably the suburbs on average are about 25% black. About half of blacks live outside the city of Jackson in the suburbs, (not counting the rural counties that got included into the metro area).

The census tracts with incomes over $100k (including the highest tract at $170k) are consistently around 12% black which I'm assuming are the highest average percentages in the country among higher income census tracts. This suggests that in neighborhoods with $500k-plus homes, about one in eight homes are black families.

I wonder if that makes a difference for people compared to other parts of the country. Of course in big metros like in DC, Atlanta, and Houston, there are plenty of areas like that. What makes metro Jackson unique is just the overall averages, in not just the metro but also the suburbs.

Memphis is comparable. DeSoto County, Mississippi across the state line from Memphis is 29% black and in the cities in that county by and large the black and white households' incomes are virtually identical. This makes DeSoto County a highly livable area, with everything being well-run and safe, without too many problems in terms of crime or traffic.

Old 07-25-2022, 10:10 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1IPLHJSWs

You need to watch this; the title is quoting hearsay. Most overrated city in the country, and I have relatives there. If you don't have a good-paying job set up, is it worth it?

Old 07-25-2022, 11:30 PM

577 posts, read 562,664 times
The term Metro Atlanta should refer to the entire area, meaning the city of Atlanta plus all of its suburbs. If you cross from the city into one of the suburbs, you're not crossing from Atlanta into Metro Atlanta. You're in Metro Atlanta the entire time because the city of Atlanta is a part of the metro area too.

Your video was interesting in that I didn't realize how much nicer and better managed Charlotte is compared to Atlanta. I've never been to Charlotte other than through it along the interstate. It sounds like they've got their act together. I didn't realize how bad Atlanta is either. It sounds like everyone is either very rich or very poor; otherwise they live in the suburbs. Chicago is probably like that too and probably D.C.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:00 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
The term Metro Atlanta should refer to the entire area, meaning the city of Atlanta plus all of its suburbs. If you cross from the city into one of the suburbs, you're not crossing from Atlanta into Metro Atlanta. You're in Metro Atlanta the entire time because the city of Atlanta is a part of the metro area too.

Your video was interesting in that I didn't realize how much nicer and better managed Charlotte is compared to Atlanta. I've never been to Charlotte other than through it along the interstate. It sounds like they've got their act together. I didn't realize how bad Atlanta is either. It sounds like everyone is either very rich or very poor; otherwise they live in the suburbs. Chicago is probably like that too and probably D.C.

Best of luck to you.

Shhhhhh!! I just moved to Charlotte last week, and enjoying it so far. The city is very clean, lower crime (especially compared to Baltimore) everything is brand new.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:19 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post

Best of luck to you.
I didn't make the video, but yeah you're on point, except for Chicago. For all of its problems at least Chicago has a working-middle class. You can find studios or 1BRs near the lake for under $1000. Jobs, especially blue collar jobs, pay more It's probably a better city for Blacks than Atlanta because of this.

Charlotte is too spread out, overpriced and lacks(decent paying) jobs in my blue/pink collar field. And don't get me started on their transit.

Last edited by Marv95; 07-26-2022 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-26-2022, 01:52 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Shhhhhh!! I just moved to Charlotte last week, and enjoying it so far. The city is very clean, lower crime (especially compared to Baltimore) everything is brand new.
So you're done with Baltimore? This is a permanent move?

Old 07-26-2022, 09:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So you're done with Baltimore? This is a permanent move?
Charlotte might not be permanent, but I won't be living in Baltimore again unless life goes completely sideways. I plan on being here for a few years before moving further west.

I'm still C-D's Baltimore spokesman though. Lol
I'll be there this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City