Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 11:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Charlotte might not be permanent, but I won't be living in Baltimore again unless life goes completely sideways. I plan on being here for a few years before moving further west.

I'm still C-D's Baltimore spokesman though. Lol
I'll be there this weekend.
I’ll be interested to hear what you think of Charlotte. My best friend just moved from Charlotte to LA. He hated Charlotte and he is from there. He moved there after living in NYC for a decade though. That’s in direct contrast to another friend of mine that lives in Charlotte and he moved there from DC. He loves it and he is also from Charlotte so it is a homecoming for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 06:06 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1IPLHJSWs

You need to watch this; the title is quoting hearsay. Most overrated city in the country, and I have relatives there. If you don't have a good-paying job set up, is it worth it?
I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and LOVED IT for the most part. I think Atlanta attracts too many transplants that move there with hopes and dreams and little to nothing in their pocket which adds up to a lot of bitter people when it doesn't work out for them.

The Youtuber you posted is a prime example of that type of transplant. I watch his videos from time to time. I agree with some of his comments but you gotta take some of what he says about Atlanta with a grain of salt. He literally moved to Atlanta with no job, selling cds,dvds, cologne and incense. Yeah he was that guy. The hustler who thought he was going to hustle his way to the top in Atlanta. And because the red carpet wasn't laid out for him in the so called "Black Mecca" than that's when Atlanta became overrated.

Atlanta is just like most major cities in America. Your experience is what you make of it. When me and my Wife moved we moved with jobs. We were not making 6 figures either but we were living decent enough. We were also able to move up in our careers and with our business outside of our 9 to 5. We moved with a purpose and didn't have any unrealistic high expectations of Atlanta. We also visited Atlanta 3 times for several days before we realized it was the place to be for us. A lot of people will move to Atlanta based off of hype which will more than likely fail in most cities in America.

And the only reason me and my Wife moved back to Houston was due to us having our first child and not wanting to be away from majority of our Family in Texas. We'd still be in Atlanta now if we decided to just thug it out.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:42 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Quote:
Charlotte might not be permanent, but I won't be living in Baltimore again unless life goes completely sideways. I plan on being here for a few years before moving further west.

I'm still C-D's Baltimore spokesman though. Lol
I'll be there this weekend.
How did you decide on Charlotte?

Old 07-27-2022, 09:52 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Shhhhhh!! I just moved to Charlotte last week, and enjoying it so far. The city is very clean, lower crime (especially compared to Baltimore) everything is brand new.
What part of Charlotte did you move to?

And I'm going to say you'll love Charlotte. It's a huge contrast to Baltimore in many ways. Charlotteans cry about crime but that's based on point of reference--->your reference point is Baltimore. Charlotte is exponentially safer than Baltimore...

Take your time to enjoy the city however long you chose to stay. You may not wanna leave!

Old 07-27-2022, 04:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I’ll be interested to hear what you think of Charlotte. My best friend just moved from Charlotte to LA. He hated Charlotte and he is from there. He moved there after living in NYC for a decade though. That’s in direct contrast to another friend of mine that lives in Charlotte and he moved there from DC. He loves it and he is also from Charlotte so it is a homecoming for him.
So far so good, but I've only been here for a week. Charlotte has diverse ethnic food scene from what I'm seeing do far. There are chains to, there are plenty of options. I'll really appreciate Charlotte in the winter months.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
How did you decide on Charlotte?
I've been looking to move out of town for some time, my wife didn't want to move to GA since she's from there, and Charlotte was the only truly major city between it and the northeast corridor.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
What part of Charlotte did you move to?

And I'm going to say you'll love Charlotte. It's a huge contrast to Baltimore in many ways. Charlotteans cry about crime but that's based on point of reference--->your reference point is Baltimore. Charlotte is exponentially safer than Baltimore...

Take your time to enjoy the city however long you chose to stay. You may not wanna leave!
I live near North Lake mall in a new apartment complex they just built. I pay less there than I did for a place in Baltimore thats half the size, and much, much older. Crime isn't really a concern, but I'm always on point; Baltimore has made me that way I guess. Plus, the gun laws here a much for favorable.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:27 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
I live near North Lake mall in a new apartment complex they just built. I pay less there than I did for a place in Baltimore thats half the size, and much, much older. Crime isn't really a concern, but I'm always on point; Baltimore has made me that way I guess. Plus, the gun laws here a much for favorable.
Northlake area is basically the borderline/transition area between West Charlotte and North Charlotte. That's a nice area, the rougher areas are going east into North Clt (Sugar Creek) or west into West Clt (Beatties Ford). Even still, they aren't Baltimore rough...

DaBaby grew up a few miles east of you in Harris-Houston, North Charlotte. This is what most Charlotte "hoods" will look like, they aren't tore down or decrepit, and many middle class black neighborhoods. You're certainly gonna see alot more black wealth and black success in Charlotte than in Baltimore...

Charlotte does have an outstanding food scene, and is a whole lot more diverse than Baltimore on the whole. It's a wonderful, wonderful city, long as you have an open mind on all of its strengths and weaknesses, you may not wanna leave...

Old 07-27-2022, 08:38 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 2 years and LOVED IT for the most part. I think Atlanta attracts too many transplants that move there with hopes and dreams and little to nothing in their pocket which adds up to a lot of bitter people when it doesn't work out for them.

The Youtuber you posted is a prime example of that type of transplant. I watch his videos from time to time. I agree with some of his comments but you gotta take some of what he says about Atlanta with a grain of salt. He literally moved to Atlanta with no job, selling cds,dvds, cologne and incense. Yeah he was that guy. The hustler who thought he was going to hustle his way to the top in Atlanta. And because the red carpet wasn't laid out for him in the so called "Black Mecca" than that's when Atlanta became overrated.

Atlanta is just like most major cities in America. Your experience is what you make of it. When me and my Wife moved we moved with jobs. We were not making 6 figures either but we were living decent enough. We were also able to move up in our careers and with our business outside of our 9 to 5. We moved with a purpose and didn't have any unrealistic high expectations of Atlanta. We also visited Atlanta 3 times for several days before we realized it was the place to be for us. A lot of people will move to Atlanta based off of hype which will more than likely fail in most cities in America.

And the only reason me and my Wife moved back to Houston was due to us having our first child and not wanting to be away from majority of our Family in Texas. We'd still be in Atlanta now if we decided to just thug it out.
Do you think Houston is your final stop? Seems like with your family there, why move anywhere else? It’s home! No place like home.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:30 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Northlake area is basically the borderline/transition area between West Charlotte and North Charlotte. That's a nice area, the rougher areas are going east into North Clt (Sugar Creek) or west into West Clt (Beatties Ford). Even still, they aren't Baltimore rough...

DaBaby grew up a few miles east of you in Harris-Houston, North Charlotte. This is what most Charlotte "hoods" will look like, they aren't tore down or decrepit, and many middle class black neighborhoods. You're certainly gonna see alot more black wealth and black success in Charlotte than in Baltimore...

Charlotte does have an outstanding food scene, and is a whole lot more diverse than Baltimore on the whole. It's a wonderful, wonderful city, long as you have an open mind on all of its strengths and weaknesses, you may not wanna leave...
Is Charlotte actually diverse? I thought it was mostly white and black, with growing Indian and Mexican populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City