Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 02:48 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I personally know several people who have moved South and come right back and I'm sure other people here know folks like that. The South isn't for everyone just like the North isn't for everyone.
Yeah, while I get many stay, people do come back North and I also know some people personally that have done it as well. As the popular parts of the South continue to grow, they aren’t as affordable as they were. If you are from an affordable Northern area, you may stay or it may be more affordable than many Southern areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 03:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Is Charlotte actually diverse? I thought it was mostly white and black, with growing Indian and Mexican populations.
The biggest growing non-black demographics are Indians and Central Americans (specifically Hondurans). Charlotte seems to be the next big destination for people from Honduras.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The biggest growing non-black demographics are Indians and Central Americans (specifically Hondurans). Charlotte seems to be the next big destination for people from Honduras.
Thanks. I’d expect Raleigh to have similar patterns.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:53 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,417,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
IMO, North Carolina looks to have the best mid-size cities for Black people in America at least in the south. I'm a born and raised Texan, but outside of Houston and DFW I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Texas. Cities like Greensboro, Winston, Raleigh, Durham are not too big and not too small but also have a good amount of Black representation and Black middle class spaces to make the average Black American feel comfortable from a ethnicity perspective.

Got love for my state but the med size cities in Texas can't offer that. Austin and San Antonio are too expensive and have a low Black population. Cities like Waco, Beaumont and Tyler have some Black representation and Middle class spaces but don't have the amenities or trajectory upwards like those NC cities do.

I believe the majority of Eastcoast transplants end up staying though. Especially though who have family down south.
Absolutely most stay. I just wanted to point out that not everyone does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, while I get many stay, people do come back North and I also know some people personally that have done it as well. As the popular parts of the South continue to grow, they aren’t as affordable as they were. If you are from an affordable Northern area, you may stay or it may be more affordable than many Southern areas.
Especially places like Miami, Austin, and Atlanta proper. It’s actually insane how expensive some formerly cheap areas have gotten.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Northlake area is basically the borderline/transition area between West Charlotte and North Charlotte. That's a nice area, the rougher areas are going east into North Clt (Sugar Creek) or west into West Clt (Beatties Ford). Even still, they aren't Baltimore rough...

DaBaby grew up a few miles east of you in Harris-Houston, North Charlotte. This is what most Charlotte "hoods" will look like, they aren't tore down or decrepit, and many middle class black neighborhoods. You're certainly gonna see alot more black wealth and black success in Charlotte than in Baltimore...

Charlotte does have an outstanding food scene, and is a whole lot more diverse than Baltimore on the whole. It's a wonderful, wonderful city, long as you have an open mind on all of its strengths and weaknesses, you may not wanna leave...
I've probably driven through the hood in Charlotte and not realize it. The projects looks like apartments that you'd find in decent areas. So far, I have no complaints with Charlotte, however, the homeless population is larger than I had assumed.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 9,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say your best bet is smaller cities with metropolitan areas under or a little over 1M.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2022, 02:45 PM

19 posts, read 9,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaExiled View Post
Very interesting discussion. The reality is that any desirable place to live is going to cost you. It doesn’t matter if you are black, white, brown, pink, or green. It’s probably always been like this, but we sort of have a have and have nots situation developing in most US metros. Even here in Central Florida it has gotten expensive to where the locals are being priced out.

As a single, unmarried black man without children of the Gen Y (millennial) group, a lot of what OP touched on are nice to have, but as someone who has never made big money, those other things are secondary to #2. Can I find a good paying job that will allow me to build a life in said place? That’s why I’m willing to consider places that blacks don’t really go to whether it is weather, lack of diversity, or cost. One man’s opinion.
Update to my situation, strongly considering a data science/tech opportunity that would be in the NYC MSA. There’s no guarantee that I will even get an interview much less an offer, but was contacted by a recruiter encouraging me to try. I carry no debt other than a minimal amount of student loans from going back to school to get this potential opportunity. It looks like this company is hiring for the Newark area, but also has openings in Milwaukee and Minneapolis/St Paul. I remember there was a poster that has lived in or currently lives in NJ. Could you or anyone else share your experience? Where are the best or safest places to stay at?

Old 08-29-2022, 07:52 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaExiled View Post
Update to my situation, strongly considering a data science/tech opportunity that would be in the NYC MSA. There’s no guarantee that I will even get an interview much less an offer, but was contacted by a recruiter encouraging me to try. I carry no debt other than a minimal amount of student loans from going back to school to get this potential opportunity. It looks like this company is hiring for the Newark area, but also has openings in Milwaukee and Minneapolis/St Paul. I remember there was a poster that has lived in or currently lives in NJ. Could you or anyone else share your experience? Where are the best or safest places to stay at?
Is the job in Newark itself or somewhere in the general area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City