Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
One thing she told me that she disliked about a significant amount of Black Bostonian's were the fact that they always felt the need to shade other cities black cities. She said it was like there was some sort of insecurity with Black Bostonians cause of it's racist reputation. So when other cities would get mention mostly Southern cities you would always hear a "Boston is bad but "insert southern city not Atlanta" is worst and I wouldn't live there.

Now I haven't met too many Black Boston natives. What I know about the city from a black perspective is from her. And she even had a bit of that outdated Northern Black perspective on the south as well but she said in Boston it felt like they were so "isolated" from the rest of Black America that their views on the outside world were very outdated.
This is true. I felt and to an extent still do feel much of the same way. This is because of black America holds us at arms length so we’re isolated to an extent and develop our own culture and views. Further more we see the trash and vacant sin other black areas and form opinions. The rest go Black America feels like we should want to be how they are or join the club but most core Bostonians who stay in Boston their whole life don’t adhere to that at all. So they resent the expectation we should always reach out to the rest of the country when we’re not shown any love back. We want to be accepted for who we are and where we are from, period. I think a lot of Black people in Boston feel like we’re expected to be a certain way or feel a certain way about our city and the majority don’t and when we don’t it’s looked at sort of like something is “off” with us and naturally we resent that. You talk about our outdated views as though most of the country doesn’t have a wildly outdated 40-50 year old view of Boston.

Furthermore, you have to understand Black Bostonians do share characteristics of Bostonians in general. Most all Bostonians are pretty confident to the point of being cocky or arrogant. Sarcasm, skepticism, a sharp tongue and quick wit are paramount. We’re very much a prideful group of people and we don’t like “taking shorts” I can definitely admit that people in Boston think Boston is the best city in the country they really honestly believe that the nickname for the city is The Hub (of the universe)or Athens of America. One shirt you’ll see being sold in black area barber shops clothing store and corner store in Boston is “Boston Ain’t for Everybody” and most Bostonians treat that fact like a positive character point rather than a negative. Someone said Boston is a hateful city or something but it’s not-it’s full of love. We just don’t do the phony, we don’t do the southern hospitality and we’re very prideful, very loyal and very honest and genuine people. People of all races talk racially and are inquisitive so sometimes it’s misconstrued as racism or rudeness and it’s not at all.

I remember I worked with a bunch of young black folks like myself at a school in Dorchester and a guy from Atlanta by way of Miami lived and worked with us in Dorchester-prior to this he had only ent to school in the wealthy white western suburbs (Brandeis). So for him working with us was his first exposure to real Boston. Most all of us were black/Cape Verdean/Virgin Islander/ Puerto Rican etc. inner city Boston and 2 from Providence. We were joking in the teachers lounge talking and he mentioned how they’re weren’t that many black owned businesses or suburban areas in Boston and we were like yea that’s true. We were in agreement just hanging He’s said the black middle class is small here I feel like Boston is bad for black people. Crickets and we kinda like looked around and tense until someone said “yooo....You aint GOT to live here, ya feel me?” And then everyone just started chirping in agreement like “you can go home” essentially.

Eventually he did he left 3 months into the school year, he was actively involved in the black arts scene doing spoken word in Roxbury and even participating in a show/play in Hibernian Hall in Nubian Square about the history of black Boston and it’s current gentrification. He stayed in Boston for about a year and then at took his girlfriend from Providence, left for Atlanta, and got married. It ain’t for everybody. FWIW we am still interact with him and he with us over social media. We never had beef. He was a nice guy and good friend to us all.

On the other hand two of the longest running staff members were men who had moved here from Detroit and Dayton and constantly raved about how much better it was here and how we didn’t even know how good we had it compared to where they came from. They’d been in Boston 12-15 years and adopted the sports fandom etc. Dude from Dayton called it the most responsible life decision he had made. He talked about how easy it was to find work, the cleanliness, the education levels of even the poorest people, healthiness of the people/region(a poor area in Dorchester has been fighting a single Popeyes for 4 years and kept it from opening-their complaint is they don’t want so many unhealthy food option when there’s only a McDonalds and KFC on the street AND theres a 100% health food super market specifically for low income people one block down the street -Boston HATES fast food), the public transit, the diversity of cultures, and the natural beauty (fair number of trees, hills, water views, architecture).

But to be fair I don’t think Hartford or any CT cities are that connected with Black America at large other than their desperate grasps at being honorary New Yorkers (which still isn’t really Black America).

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-05-2020 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
WOW. So offensive. Military is a necessary evil.I dont agree with the policies of our government nowadays but the military put a lot of black people through school and out of poverty.
It was one of the first organizations to do things that were more socially acceptable before the general public.

My Grandfather served in Korean War and WW2.He was able to provide for my father as much as one could being African American.
My father was drafted.He didnt want to go but he went and watched his friends die in Vietnam. He was able to get thru college and provide a life for me as he stayed in for some time afterwards in the Guard.

Ive been to TX,VA and GA.They all have large black retiree populations.Its not uncommon to meet veterans who retired and now own businesses that employ people

My point is you cant pick your battles when you join the military but it is nescessary. Anyone who thinks its so easy to dismiss those who served as somehow opting out of the struggle is the same as saying selling drugs in AA communities is acceptable.

Nothing in life is free and thinking it comes without someone paying the price is the most disingenuous cowardly thing I can think of
Yea..no. Im not changing my feelings on that I don’t really care about offending the troops or whatever either. Y’all do what y’all do but I don’t have to support it. Unless we reinstitute the draft..I just see y’all getting the bag. It’s not some honorable thing your involved in with the US military. Plenty of us find ways to make it without leaning on such an ugly industry- so how in the HELL is it “necessary”? I’m not gonna feel ashamed in saying that much. You capable enough to join the military, the n your capable enough to go get a regular private sector/public sector job like the rest of us. Or start a business and change the world. Do something-anything- positive and don’t be so self serving by joining the military. military folks will Laura. Bunch of side branch “positive” stuff the military does to distract from all the evil they’re involved in. I can stand jt

Policing and military participation. are huge in the DMV and I’m not a fan, at all. it was part of the self-Sebring self important culture of the area. Moved up to Baltimore form DC to get a little distance from the huge amount of people those industries provide black folks in DC and I appreciate it.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:39 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea..no. Im not changing my feelings on that I don’t really care about offending the troops or whatever either. Y’all do what y’all do but I don’t have to support it. Unless we reinstitute the draft..I just see y’all getting the bag. It’s not some honorable thing your involved in with the US military. Plenty of us find ways to make it without leaning on such an ugly industry- so how in the HELL is it “necessary”? I’m not gonna feel ashamed in saying that much. You capable enough to join the military, the n your capable enough to go get a regular private sector/public sector job like the rest of us. Or start a business and change the world. Do something-anything- positive and don’t be so self serving by joining the military. military folks will Laura. Bunch of side branch “positive” stuff the military does to distract from all the evil they’re involved in. I can stand jt

Policing and military participation. are huge in the DMV and I’m not a fan, at all. it was part of the self-Sebring self important culture of the area. Moved up to Baltimore form DC to get a little distance from the huge amount of people those industries provide black folks in DC and I appreciate it.
I dont care what you do.You dont have to change what you think but its a cowardly copout and I aint changing how I feel about that either. You sit back on a moral high horse while living in the country that used its military to get to where it is.Good and bad.I
f you were so morally convicted yourself instead of calling out those who made the decision to join or were draftedbyou would move out of the country.
Its BS to act like you are more down for the struggle while you sit back on your computer in comfort of a home that was guaranteed by those who did serve.
No where in the Western world do people of African descent have the power of culture and influence than in the US.Granted we had to fight for it and still fighting for it.
Puhlease
LOL
Yall self righteous crap. We all in this life making it the best way we can yet people like you playing the same divide and conquer crap the powers that be have been using us for since day one.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I dont care what you do.You dont have to change what you think but its a cowardly copout and I aint changing how I feel about that either. You sit back on a moral high horse while living in the country that used its military to get to where it is.Good and bad.I
f you were so morally convicted yourself instead of calling out those who made the decision to join or were draftedbyou would move out of the country.
Its BS to act like you are more down for the struggle while you sit back on your computer in comfort of a home that was guaranteed by those who did serve.
No where in the Western world do people of African descent have the power of culture and influence than in the US.Granted we had to fight for it and still fighting for it.
Puhlease
LOL
Yall self righteous crap. We all in this life making it the best way we can yet people like you playing the same divide and conquer crap the powers that be have been using us for since day one.
Yea I would absolutely flee the country if there was a draft. Are you kidding me. I like balck Americans and black culture but I’m not gonna go kill some other brown person cuz the white people told me to. I won’t aid in any of that even if it meant I was just a janitor. Out of the question.

Cowardly? That’s cool call me what you want. I don’t. Care.But your politics are the specific reason I avoid military areas.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yea I would absolutely flee the country if there was a draft. Are you kidding me. I like balck Americans and black culture but I’m not gonna go kill some other brown person cuz the white people told me to. I won’t aid in any of that even if it meant I was just a janitor. Out of the question.

Cowardly? That’s cool call me what you want. I don’t. Care.But your politics are the specific reason I avoid military areas.
My politics?You dont know my politics.
As I said before you cant have that black culture that has been so often appropriated without someone somewhere paying forward. All we can do is try to speak out when those injustices occur.
Im sorry if I attacked you but you offended me by your remarks.No matter how you feel its not fair to call people cop outs for wanting a better life and getting it the best way they can. It not always about desperation.Its about and individuals decision on how they should live their life

Old 01-05-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
My politics?You dont know my politics.
As I said before you cant have that black culture that has been so often appropriated without someone somewhere paying forward. All we can do is try to speak out when those injustices occur.
Im sorry if I attacked you but you offended me by your remarks.No matter how you feel its not fair to call people cop outs for wanting a better life and getting it the best way they can. It not always about desperation.Its about and individuals decision on how they should live their life
I guess I’d respect it more out of desperation rather than a conscientious decision to willfully ignore all the bad things done by the US Govt to poor black and brown countries all over the world for over a century for your own self advancement/career building-as though your not a part of a much larger problem and it stares you in the face. I don’t have to respect that, I might be more so inclined if it were out of desperation.

As for your politics I can use this one conversation and infer a good deal or I can simply use your own words as reason for me to avoid areas where there are many folks thinking like you. I prefer living in places where people try to avoid he military at all cost and veterans benefits and triple a memberships aren’t the norm and aren’t advertised to.

I’m sure you’re a nice enough person. I can tell from this message, but we would never see eye to eye on this issue and I think it says a lot about where you might view the US in relation to the rest of the world and how we as black people ought to resist injustice.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:08 PM

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2020/...ge-georges-jr/

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...ws-greg-janey/

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...s-leslie-reid/

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...-regie-gibson/

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...-four-corners/

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...lle-h-dempsey/

https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...ichael-branch/

Sooooo much homegrown good going on up there within the black community for the black community that isn’t “chasing white” and without political scandal too.

Review of the decade:
https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/...on-the-decade/

Old 01-05-2020, 10:30 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
This is true. I felt and to an extent still do feel much of the same way. This is because of black America holds us at arms length so we’re isolated to an extent and develop our own culture and views. Further more we see the trash and vacant sin other black areas and form opinions. The rest go Black America feels like we should want to be how they are or join the club but most core Bostonians who stay in Boston their whole life don’t adhere to that at all. So they resent the expectation we should always reach out to the rest of the country when we’re not shown any love back. We want to be accepted for who we are and where we are from, period. I think a lot of Black people in Boston feel like we’re expected to be a certain way or feel a certain way about our city and the majority don’t and when we don’t it’s looked at sort of like something is “off” with us and naturally we resent that. You talk about our outdated views as though most of the country doesn’t have a wildly outdated 40-50 year old view of Boston.
I think most Black Americans generally don't know enough about Boston to form a strong opinion about the city. Like me growing up in the South for instance, I've lived in a couple of cities in Texas and lived a couple of years in Atlanta. I've been to every southern state and major city except South Carolina. Most Black southerners lack knowledge of the Black experience in New England. I mean places like Mass/CT/ Delaware/Nebraska/Rhode Island/Minnesota...that have cities with a decent size black population but are kind of "isolated" from majority of Black hubs in America aren't really that popular in Black American culture to really understand the dynamics of a city.

Like, Black America knows about the south because of it's history and the fact that majority of African Americans came from the South via Africa of course. It's a difference with Black America in New England. Now I can imagine Black people who end up in Boston probably have perceptions about the city from the outside looking in. But I believe Boston as far as a Black destination isn't a popular choice so most Black Millennials don't think enough of it to form a strong opinion.

Quote:
Furthermore, you have to understand Black Bostonians do share characteristics of Bostonians in general. Most all Bostonians are pretty confident to the point of being cocky or arrogant. Sarcasm, skepticism, a sharp tongue and quick wit are paramount. We’re very much a prideful group of people and we don’t like “taking shorts” I can definitely admit that people in Boston think Boston is the best city in the country they really honestly believe that the nickname for the city is The Hub (of the universe)or Athens of America. One shirt you’ll see being sold in black area barber shops clothing store and corner store in Boston is “Boston Ain’t for Everybody” and most Bostonians treat that fact like a positive character point rather than a negative. Someone said Boston is a hateful city or something but it’s not-it’s full of love. We just don’t do the phony, we don’t do the southern hospitality and we’re very prideful, very loyal and very honest and genuine people. People of all races talk racially and are inquisitive so sometimes it’s misconstrued as racism or rudeness and it’s not at all.
Nothing wrong with being prideful of your city. I think most people are for better or worst. I grew up in Texas. We're kind of like the Kanye West of States for better or worst. And being in the south it's wayyy to many Black and White people with overt racist history to talk that openly racially and inquisitive. Plus it's too hot and the gun laws are too lax so it's best to have some type of "hospitality" for cooler heads. lol But I feel ya

Quote:
On the other hand two of the longest running staff members were men who had moved here from Detroit and Dayton and constantly raved about how much better it was here and how we didn’t even know how good we had it compared to where they came from. They’d been in Boston 12-15 years and adopted the sports fandom etc. Dude from Dayton called it the most responsible life decision he had made. He talked about how easy it was to find work, the cleanliness, the education levels of even the poorest people, healthiness of the people/region(a poor area in Dorchester has been fighting a single Popeyes for 4 years and kept it from opening-their complaint is they don’t want so many unhealthy food option when there’s only a McDonalds and KFC on the street AND theres a 100% health food super market specifically for low income people one block down the street -Boston HATES fast food), the public transit, the diversity of cultures, and the natural beauty (fair number of trees, hills, water views, architecture).

But to be fair I don’t think Hartford or any CT cities are that connected with Black America at large other than their desperate grasps at being honorary New Yorkers (which still isn’t really Black America).
I can see somebody from Detroit and especially Dayton appreciating Boston over those 2. Some depressing ass cities just in general. Boston as a whole have a lot more going for itself than those 2. Even if it lacks a dominant Black presence there's still enough access to world class amenities and culture to enjoy it on some level. Detroit has pockets of progression but way to much blight and despair for Black people. And Dayton is just.....Dayton smh.

And I agree about that assessment about CT as well. And yeah she definitely came off like a NY groupie. lol

Quote:
Puhlease
LOL
The military is not fighting for our "FREEDOM" their fighting for the interest of the American global power structure that isn't a long term benefit to the general public.

The man is able to sit back on his computer in the comfort of his home because OUR ancestors were force to build the foundation of this country to even be in a position to be the most powerful country on the planet. We don't owe the military for WHAT WE CREATED. We don't owe them for OUR SURVIVAL. We owe our ancestors. The military is not fighting to protect us. America spends more than anybody else on the globe when it comes to the military. You really believe everybody is picking on little ol' America? Yeah right lol

Old 01-05-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I guess I’d respect it more out of desperation rather than a conscientious decision to willfully ignore all the bad things done by the US Govt to poor black and brown countries all over the world for over a century for your own self advancement/career building-as though your not a part of a much larger problem and it stares you in the face. I don’t have to respect that, I might be more so inclined if it were out of desperation.

As for your politics I can use this one conversation and infer a good deal or I can simply use your own words as reason for me to avoid areas where there are many folks thinking like you. I prefer living in places where people try to avoid he military at all cost and veterans benefits and triple a memberships aren’t the norm and aren’t advertised to.

I’m sure you’re a nice enough person. I can tell from this message, but we would never see eye to eye on this issue and I think it says a lot about where you might view the US in relation to the rest of the world and how we as black people ought to resist injustice.
You are very closed minded to claim to be so liberal. MLK jr was more effective than Malcom as he used the laws rather than by any means necessary..
Boston burned and rioted when King was shot while Atlanta was calm. Black homeownership as well as black buisenesses are higher in Atlanta than Boston.
Atlanta has had a black mayor since 1972.
The largest black owned studio in the world is in Atlanta and emplyes more blacks than anywhere in the industry.
Atlanta has 15 of the largest 100 black owned companies. I looked but didnt find one from Boston.That is could be an oversight as only did a quick search for both.Atlanta and Boston but Atlanta came back a lot less effort than Boston.
So my politics aside which by the way there hasnt been one military campaign I have supported accept Bosnia.Rwanda and the intervention in Haiti .There maybe another but those are the ones that come to mind.
All the other BS in the Middle East I dont support either .I will say that while you talk about us attacking our brown brothers,they are putting our black asses in chains in North Africa and treated like straight up dirt in the Middle East so its not always so black and white as you think it is.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I think most Black Americans generally don't know enough about Boston to form a strong opinion about the city. Like me growing up in the South for instance, I've lived in a couple of cities in Texas and lived a couple of years in Atlanta. I've been to every southern state and major city except South Carolina. Most Black southerners lack knowledge of the Black experience in New England. I mean places like Mass/CT/ Delaware/Nebraska/Rhode Island/Minnesota...that have cities with a decent size black population but are kind of "isolated" from majority of Black hubs in America aren't really that popular in Black American culture to really understand the dynamics of a city.

Like, Black America knows about the south because of it's history and the fact that majority of African Americans came from the South via Africa of course. It's a difference with Black America in New England. Now I can imagine Black people who end up in Boston probably have perceptions about the city from the outside looking in. But I believe Boston as far as a Black destination isn't a popular choice so most Black Millennials don't think enough of it to form a strong opinion.

Nothing wrong with being prideful of your city. I think most people are for better or worst. I grew up in Texas. We're kind of like the Kanye West of States for better or worst. And being in the south it's wayyy to many Black and White people with overt racist history to talk that openly racially and inquisitive. Plus it's too hot and the gun laws are too lax so it's best to have some type of "hospitality" for cooler heads. lol But I feel ya

I can see somebody from Detroit and especially Dayton appreciating Boston over those 2. Some depressing ass cities just in general. Boston as a whole have a lot more going for itself than those 2. Even if it lacks a dominant Black presence there's still enough access to world class amenities and culture to enjoy it on some level. Detroit has pockets of progression but way to much blight and despair for Black people. And Dayton is just.....Dayton smh.

And I agree about that assessment about CT as well. And yeah she definitely came off like a NY groupie. lol

The military is not fighting for our "FREEDOM" their fighting for the interest of the American global power structure that isn't a long term benefit to the general public.

The man is able to sit back on his computer in the comfort of his home because OUR ancestors were force to build the foundation of this country to even be in a position to be the most powerful country on the planet. We don't owe the military for WHAT WE CREATED. We don't owe them for OUR SURVIVAL. We owe our ancestors. The military is not fighting to protect us. America spends more than anybody else on the globe when it comes to the military. You really believe everybody is picking on little ol' America? Yeah right lol
I like how you put words in my mouth. My point is when we get attacked by Russia ,North Korea,China,etc rather deserved or not,do you think THEY will care about our ancestors getting us here?LOL
You could not have created crap had the Union lost. The Union didnt care about black people nor did Lincoln. It was all about power and preservation but look who benefited?
Do u really think you would be here as you are today had none of these wars turned out the way it did? How do you think the furture will go if that in which our ancestors died for is taken over for those who hate our politics as much as we do?
So you either leave or you do the best you can by voting and participating to protect that vote.You can talk all the hyperbole yall want but it garbage at the end of the day when the enemy of your enemy is at the same front door of your house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City