Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 11:31 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You are very closed minded to claim to be so liberal. MLK jr was more effective than Malcom as he used the laws rather than by any means necessary..
Boston burned and rioted when King was shot while Atlanta was calm. Black homeownership as well as black buisenesses are higher in Atlanta than Boston.
Atlanta has had a black mayor since 1972.
The largest black owned studio in the world is in Atlanta and emplyes more blacks than anywhere in the industry.
Atlanta has 15 of the largest 100 black owned companies. I looked but didnt find one from Boston.That is could be an oversight as only did a quick search for both.Atlanta and Boston but Atlanta came back a lot less effort than Boston.
So my politics aside which by the way there hasnt been one military campaign I have supported accept Bosnia.Rwanda and the intervention in Haiti .There maybe another but those are the ones that come to mind.
All the other BS in the Middle East I dont support either .I will say that while you talk about us attacking our brown brothers,they are putting our black asses in chains in North Africa and treated like straight up dirt in the Middle East so its not always so black and white as you think it is.
Boston didn’t burn or riot much at all when King was assassinated because James Brown was in town that very night and so there were 10k plus young black people in the building and not on the streets. Mayor Kevin White came to the Boston Garden and asked James to keep the crowd calm cool and collected and perform a longer set. Bostons biggest riots were the 1966 Welfare Office riots.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-assassination

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...d-boston-king/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 11:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston didn’t burn or riot much at all when King was assassinated because James Brown was in town that very night and so there were 10k plus young black people in the building and not on the streets. Mayor Kevin White came to the Boston Garden and asked James to keep the crowd calm cool and collected and perform a longer set. Bostons biggest riots were the 1966 Welfare Office riots.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-assassination

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...d-boston-king/
Yep.You are right.I saw that.I was confused by some of the bussing incidents.I saw that documentary on Brown.It was impressive what he did but my point till stands as Boston had very bad bussing riots.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:03 AM

As far as certain places being isolated that true and it’s not on them. That’s on other black hubs not looking to untraditional locales. Whites Asians and Hispanics have a lot of success because they actively look to expand their presence and strengthen small existing communities where they can. White people can be comfortable and expect to find each other in all 50 states, same with Hispanics. Asians straight up avoid any areas that aren’t economically flourishing. But not black people.

Realistically none of those places you listed is even really disconnected form major black hubs. Minneapolis isn’t very far from Milwaukee and Chicago..Omaha Nebraska isn’t very far from Kansas City or St. Louis, Delaware literally abuts Maryland and New Jersey. Boston-theres a continuous trail of black/brown cities leading out of NYC right to Boston (Bridgeport New Haven Hartford Waterbury Springfield Worcester Brockton Providence-all cities at least 15% black and 45-85% minority total). And it’s only 4 hours from NYC.

So we’re not talking about huge distances here-at all. We’ve just concentrated all of our resources ina few cities as a people and it’s thought for other paces to thrive or garner recognition when 90% of the social and business capital is in ~10 metros and 2-3 really black southern states.

Black people don’t look to expand they don’t look to explore other states and set up businesses and give aid to smaller or more distant black communities and it hurts us in the short and long term. We concentrate in the south because it’s cheap. But it’s got the worst schools, the worst health, the most violence, backward politics and we’re willing to overlook all to that because it’s cheap and we’ve always been there. It’s frustrating. I get moving to ATL TX NC because of the booming economies 100 percent. It’s a smart move but us dying to associate and prop up dysfunctional and dying cities/regions- with a few exceptions- is a little disappointing at times. Because we sort of bypass great opportunity and culture elsewhere. I liked Boston for the diversity of black thought, its unorthodox nature, unique history and truly progressive nature. The mega church, drive everywhere, fast food everything, military in the family, suburban/country etc..lifestyle has never appealed to me.

That being said I know a good deal of black millennials who know a little about Boston and have been there/know people form there. They don’t view it as a top destination but they’re far far more open to its existence and relevance than older generations. Boomers think Boston is like the Apartheid if you even mention it. Gen Xers seem to associate it with grittiness/grimy ness and a lack of a black middle class. Millennials are more of a mixed bag.

Generally I thinks it’s a good place to raise a family if you an secure housing. The safety of the metro area, the cleanliness, the intellectual vibe, the quality of academics in public education, the exposure to cultural diversity, the museums and institutions and the ability to travel easily in public transit make it a wonderful place for kids.

As a kid my brother and I would take the train to Harvard for after Saturday lessons from a local Boston Reverend. He’s hand us all types of prop black history and information there, wed read discuss and get homework and then end take us all to a Chinese hot pot place and pay for us all every single Saturday. He ran the program exclusively for Boston brightest black youths and they came from schools all over eastern MA.

I met professor Charles Ogletree a close friend of Barack Obama’s, I’ve met Elizabeth Warren. I’ve been to Malcolm X’s house, Dr. Kings church he attended while in Boston. Gone to free tours and sporting events at Boston College and Harvard.I toured the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, the museum of fine arts, gone sailing all summer for $1, watched friend rap at the institute of contemporary arts watched Shakespeare, gone to Martha’s Vineyard, seen the Boston Symphony Orchestra, seen Boston Pops-the largest 4th of July fireworks celebration in the country, seen Alvin Ailey, toured the JFK presidential Library, fisher in the Boston Harbor, swam the city beaches, seen the urban nutcracker, been a part of jack and Jill events, met black bankers all before age 20 and all for little to no cost to me through my schools, social networks and various city programs like Boston ROCKS (Recreational Opportunities for City Kids) and Boston Youth HopLine which gave me my first ever job at the Franklin Park Zoo in Dorchester.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Yep.You are right.I saw that.I was confused by some of the bussing incidents.I saw that documentary on Brown.It was impressive what he did but my point till stands as Boston had very bad bussing riots.
Bussing was stupid-it really was. But the Irish reacted like go to any bigots (as they often do) but those riots were literally 45 years ago. The high schoolers who went they that-the youngest of them are 59 years old.

It was a dark and terrible time in the city but we’ve looong since moved beyond that and very few Bostonians have actually memory of it. If there’s 150k black in Boston about 20% of them are 60+... and of those I’d bet less than half were in the cities public schools at the time. And maybe half of that half was attending one of the affected high schools (South Boston, Charlestown, Roxbury, Hyde Park if I recall). So we’re talking about maybe 5% of the black folks in the city have first hand recollection-if that. So less than 2% of the city. Add in the White people who were at the affected high school level and you’re taking maybe 5% of the city with memory of this. Thats generations ago now.

They bussed kids in the worst black schools to the worst white schools and as a result all the white kids Left the city schools (bottoming our at 12.3% of the public school system in 2012-large chucks of that in the city’s three exams schools) and it fell it to chronic disarray for decades. They should’ve been court ordered to restructure the allocation of resources and the municipal and state funding for public schools. Bussing the ghettoest poorest kids around the city was a short sighted terrible idea that invited violence and gang violence. Breaking up neighborhood schools in general was a terrible idea. They could’ve just enforced racial equity.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Sorry but you really dont know what you are talking about.
When you deploy in especially the middle East,its tax free and you also get additional endangerment pay even if you are not in actual danger.You can be in Kuwait or Afghanistan.
Your healthcare is paid for. If you are yound and want to go to school,you not only get GI Bill when you get out but also get tuition assistance .It pays 75% of your tuition while you are in and attending part time.

Also most "GI's" retire around 40 years or so.They go on to have other careers in the private sectir as well as civil service as they get priority which is most of the case.
Hence why so many are doing well so late in life getting more than one pay check. I know this because I have many family members who have done just this
So why'd you quote me? You're highlighting the one advantage I also see to joining the military...

For the record, I never had the option of joining the military, I contracted a criminal record at 16 and never had passable offenses, and spent the majority of my youth being a criminal. If I did have a re-do in life, though----->I'd do other things differently but still wouldn't join The Forces...

I respect that people make the choice to join and use it to springboard a better life for themselves, but understand it is a choice. You can achieve the same goals without joining the military with the same amount of effort and dedication, without the rigidity of the culture and without the long term mental and physical health risks, or unwanted tours of deployment, all of this can be achieved in the civilian sector to higher degrees in shorter time span...

We can do this dance if you want to, I come from a military family with many of my school peers signing up as well, because I grew up in those areas. I know countless success stories and stories that didn't turn out well, I have perspective of people who are both happy they joined and those who aren't...

Alota military people, especially in military-dependent communities, don't respect that those who don't serve and always go the "fight for your rights" route. As if that wasn't a choice those people made. Good for them...

Old 01-06-2020, 08:57 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,027,443 times
I dont even know what that is suppose to mean but it sounds pretty ignorant. I think its so telling how you annointed yourself the purveyor of what blacks should be chasing and how they should be and do based on your definition of who is "chasing white. Sounds like some "hotep"BS.How arrogant of you

Old 01-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I dont even know what that is suppose to mean but it sounds pretty ignorant. I think its so telling how you annointed yourself the purveyor of what blacks should be chasing and how they should be and do based on your definition of who is "chasing white. Sounds like some "hotep"BS.How arrogant of you
no that's what aries said a few posts ago. I agree very ignorant.

Im highlighting black and brown upper middle class professionals in Boston who not only are professional, but do tremendous work in the black community they were raised in. Aries doesn't know part of Boston and would rather ignore it or minimalize it or make them out to be aberrations which is part of the ignorance.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:20 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
As far as certain places being isolated that true and it’s not on them. That’s on other black hubs not looking to untraditional locales. Whites Asians and Hispanics have a lot of success because they actively look to expand their presence and strengthen small existing communities where they can. White people can be comfortable and expect to find each other in all 50 states, same with Hispanics. Asians straight up avoid any areas that aren’t economically flourishing. But not black people.
Whites,Asians and Hispanics don't chose cities/regions generally based on expanding presence and strengthening small communities. No ethnic group moves to particular regions for strategic reasons like that.

Take for instance Asian Americans. Majority of the Asian population in this country is located on the Westcoast. It's been that way for several generations now moving forward. Yes you do see a significant population of Asian ethnic groups in other major metro cities across America. New York City of course, Chicago,Houston,etc. But the Westcoast still remains the cultural hub for Asian Americans of most ethnic groups.

White people can be comfortable any and everywhere because of their position in this country. When you have people who look like you and share the same ethnicity as you create the country you live in than yeah, you can go any and everywhere you please in this country. By and large their in a position of controlling economics/resources/politics so there's no place they can't go. Not to mention Non Hispanic Whites make up about 60.7% of Americas population.

Black people are no different than any other ethnic group as far as what they generally look for in a place to live. Not to mention Black people have the largest migration to date in American history. We've already tried to go to other communities and EXPAND our PRESENCE only to run into road blocks in the form of subtle discrimination/redlining/racist unions/police brutality/etc. outside the south.

Quote:
Realistically none of those places you listed is even really disconnected form major black hubs. Minneapolis isn’t very far from Milwaukee and Chicago..Omaha Nebraska isn’t very far from Kansas City or St. Louis, Delaware literally abuts Maryland and New Jersey. Boston-theres a continuous trail of black/brown cities leading out of NYC right to Boston (Bridgeport New Haven Hartford Waterbury Springfield Worcester Brockton Providence-all cities at least 15% black and 45-85% minority total). And it’s only 4 hours from NYC.
You call Milwaukee one of the most segregated cities in North America a Black Hub? There's no major connection between Minneapolis/Milwaukee or Chicago. Minn to Milwaukee is 5 hours apart and in between those major metros are predominately white towns and counties. What's in between Omaha and Kansas City? What surrounds those 2 metro areas? Even Kansas City and St.Louis is distance of predominately White middle America. I've made that drive from KC to STL. It's very very white. The South accounts for over 55% of the Black population in the country. The Northeast and Midwest account for less then 20% and the West is of course even lesser than those 2 regions.

Quote:
So we’re not talking about huge distances here-at all. We’ve just concentrated all of our resources ina few cities as a people and it’s thought for other paces to thrive or garner recognition when 90% of the social and business capital is in ~10 metros and 2-3 really black southern states.
So the solution would be for Black people to spread out all over the country and that will insure that we'll climb up the success ladder? Yet some of the small black communities that are isolated from real Black Hubs in this country are some of the most segregated communities in the country and still face some of the same issues you'll see in areas of the south.

Quote:
Black people don’t look to expand they don’t look to explore other states and set up businesses and give aid to smaller or more distant black communities and it hurts us in the short and long term. We concentrate in the south because it’s cheap. But it’s got the worst schools, the worst health, the most violence, backward politics and we’re willing to overlook all to that because it’s cheap and we’ve always been there. It’s frustrating. I get moving to ATL TX NC because of the booming economies 100 percent. It’s a smart move but us dying to associate and prop up dysfunctional and dying cities/regions- with a few exceptions- is a little disappointing at times. Because we sort of bypass great opportunity and culture elsewhere. I liked Boston for the diversity of black thought, its unorthodox nature, unique history and truly progressive nature. The mega church, drive everywhere, fast food everything, military in the family, suburban/country etc..lifestyle has never appealed to me.
Are these states with insignificant amounts of black people reaching out to the black community though? Why is it solely on US to reach out but not the other way around? Your logic though doesn't make sense. African Americans concentrate in the south for many different reasons. You fail to realize that the south has some of the fastest growing states and cities in the country among many different ethnic and racial groups. Texas and Florida were the fastest growing states in the country. You think that's only Blacks moving there?

Nobodies bigging up Mississippi/Louisiana/Alabama. The south is not monolithic. But exactly how is Boston a glowing example for Black people to prosper when Blacks have a net worth of $8.00?

Here you have access to some of the best universities/healthcare/amenities in the country yet Blacks still feel isolated and left out in the mainstream fabric of the city? How is that?

Hell if Boston was so great for Black people why did you leave?

Old 01-06-2020, 11:20 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
[quote=SouthernBoy205;57023865]It’s really hard to choose outside of Atlanta, Houston, and DC.[/QUOTE

I don't believe it is. There are at least half a dozen other cities that have it going on currently. And at least in DC's case are easier to navigate and afford. Dallas/Ft Worth, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Nashville, Chicago, Phoenix, Detroit for sure. I've even met some that skipped past Atlanta for instance on purpose because it was indeed black but also "pretentious and flashy" There are lots of choices depending on personal tastes.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:33 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Whites,Asians and Hispanics don't chose cities/regions generally based on expanding presence and strengthening small communities. No ethnic group moves to particular regions for strategic reasons like that.

Take for instance Asian Americans. Majority of the Asian population in this country is located on the Westcoast. It's been that way for several generations now moving forward. Yes you do see a significant population of Asian ethnic groups in other major metro cities across America. New York City of course, Chicago,Houston,etc. But the Westcoast still remains the cultural hub for Asian Americans of most ethnic groups.

White people can be comfortable any and everywhere because of their position in this country. When you have people who look like you and share the same ethnicity as you create the country you live in than yeah, you can go any and everywhere you please in this country. By and large their in a position of controlling economics/resources/politics so there's no place they can't go. Not to mention Non Hispanic Whites make up about 60.7% of Americas population.

Black people are no different than any other ethnic group as far as what they generally look for in a place to live. Not to mention Black people have the largest migration to date in American history. We've already tried to go to other communities and EXPAND our PRESENCE only to run into road blocks in the form of subtle discrimination/redlining/racist unions/police brutality/etc. outside the south.

You call Milwaukee one of the most segregated cities in North America a Black Hub? There's no major connection between Minneapolis/Milwaukee or Chicago. Minn to Milwaukee is 5 hours apart and in between those major metros are predominately white towns and counties. What's in between Omaha and Kansas City? What surrounds those 2 metro areas? Even Kansas City and St.Louis is distance of predominately White middle America. I've made that drive from KC to STL. It's very very white. The South accounts for over 55% of the Black population in the country. The Northeast and Midwest account for less then 20% and the West is of course even lesser than those 2 regions.

So the solution would be for Black people to spread out all over the country and that will insure that we'll climb up the success ladder? Yet some of the small black communities that are isolated from real Black Hubs in this country are some of the most segregated communities in the country and still face some of the same issues you'll see in areas of the south.

Are these states with insignificant amounts of black people reaching out to the black community though? Why is it solely on US to reach out but not the other way around? Your logic though doesn't make sense. African Americans concentrate in the south for many different reasons. You fail to realize that the south has some of the fastest growing states and cities in the country among many different ethnic and racial groups. Texas and Florida were the fastest growing states in the country. You think that's only Blacks moving there?

Nobodies bigging up Mississippi/Louisiana/Alabama. The south is not monolithic. But exactly how is Boston a glowing example for Black people to prosper when Blacks have a net worth of $8.00?

Here you have access to some of the best universities/healthcare/amenities in the country yet Blacks still feel isolated and left out in the mainstream fabric of the city? How is that?

Hell if Boston was so great for Black people why did you leave?
Ironically, in that stretch is this HBCU in Jefferson City: https://www.lincolnu.edu/

As for states, I'd say the big exception outside of the South is New York, which is on par with states such as TN, FL and AR, while being higher than TX in black percentage. Depending on who you count, there are still about 3.5-a little under 4 million black people(alone & in combo) in the state. While NYC has about half, without NYC, the state is still close to/around the national percentage in the rest of the state. The bigger Upstate cities are on par with the bigger cities in many Southern states in terms of black percentage. So, it is different from most other states outside of the South.

States such as NJ, MI and IL are also around/just above the national percentage. https://blackdemographics.com/popula...te-population/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-06-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City