Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 12:33 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,630,842 times

Advertisements

While I've been on my quest to find the "perfect" community in America for my black family I've noticed a certain pattern that is common among many other Black people in this country. There's certain things that we generally tend to look for in a city that differs from our White counterparts. That narrows our searches to just a couple of cities in this country. The usual suspects tend to be "Atlanta/D.C./ Houston".

Often times discussing a subject such as this becomes a hot touchy subject even among Black people on City data. Therefore I complied a list of things that makes a city enjoyable for Black Americans and what we tend to look for in moving to a city. Of course we're not monolithic but again I've seen these themes all across the board state to state for years to somewhat gauge what most people consider while choosing a city. I also complied a list of cities that have a significant Black population, culture,economy, and progression for that Black community. Out of the list of CITIES, which one would you say is the best option for a general black family based off the things Black Americans generally look for in a city?

Things Black Americans generally consider when looking for a citynot in any order)
1.Cost of Living
2.Economy
3.Significant Black population
4.Prominent Black culture
5.Favorable Median Household income
6.High home ownership rate
7. Highly rated diverse schools
8.Racial climate
9.Black businesses
10.Dating scene
11.Nightlife
12.Diverse Black social scene
13.Safe diverse or predominately Black communities

List of cities/metros in no particular order:
1.Atlanta
2.Washington D.C.
3.Houston
4.New York City
5.Charlotte
6.Dallas-Ft.Worth
7.Orlando
8.Raleigh-Durham
9.Chicago
10.Richmond,VA
11.Los Angeles
12.Austin
13.Miami
14.Baltimore
15.Memphis
16.Columbus,OH
17.San Antonio

Again i'm not saying that these cities are the best of the best but the ones I often see on list such as these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 12:58 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,818,204 times
I don't see how Memphis Miami or San Antonio fitting the bill (maybe San Antonio if you're military-personally, i consider it a drawback when a lot of black people are in the military in an area).

Memphis is just really black but it appears on paper and form word of mouth to just be a terrible place to live for a myriad of reasons

Miami's black community doesn't do very well and the schools are horrible. Also a fair degree of racism from Hispanics down there.

San Antonio isn't very black at all and seems conservative and isolated with bad weather.

Best place for a conventional black family would probably be raleigh-durham, atlanta, washington dc or charlotte.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:43 PM

20,518 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't see how Memphis Miami or San Antonio fitting the bill (maybe San Antonio if you're military-personally, i consider it a drawback when a lot of black people are in the military in an area).

Memphis is just really black but it appears on paper and form word of mouth to just be a terrible place to live for a myriad of reasons

Miami's black community doesn't do very well and the schools are horrible. Also a fair degree of racism from Hispanics down there.

San Antonio isn't very black at all and seems conservative and isolated with bad weather.

Best place for a conventional black family would probably be raleigh-durham, atlanta, washington dc or charlotte.
conventional black family? I think you would have to add DFW in there.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:51 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,818,204 times
Yea DFW of course. My bad.

Old 01-03-2020, 04:01 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,426,894 times
Atlanta
DFW

Old 01-03-2020, 04:23 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,551,495 times
Atlanta
Charlotte
Raleigh-Durham
Dallas-Fort Worth
Houston
Washington
Tallahassee

Old 01-03-2020, 04:26 PM

93,488 posts, read 124,189,891 times
Quote:

Just curious, but why? I'm asking because from looking at some of the factors mentioned in the OP, black people in military areas tend to do relatively well(i.e.-factor #5).

On a side note, I'm somewhat surprised that Austin is on that list.

As for a smaller metro area that I would put an asterisk next to due to formerly being in the NYC metro from 2013-2018 is the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area of NY. Very integrated metro with a substantial black population, with the lowest black-white per capita income gap among top 100 metros in population with at least a substantial black population and a relatively high black median household income, that train access to NYC via the Metro-North. Would personally suggest school districts like Pine Bush, Spackenkill, Valley Central and Wappingers Falls, among maybe a few others that are good with at least a decent black student population and a good mix of students, in general.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2020 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 06:15 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,418,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
While I've been on my quest to find the "perfect" community in America for my black family I've noticed a certain pattern that is common among many other Black people in this country. There's certain things that we generally tend to look for in a city that differs from our White counterparts. That narrows our searches to just a couple of cities in this country. The usual suspects tend to be "Atlanta/D.C./ Houston".

Often times discussing a subject such as this becomes a hot touchy subject even among Black people on City data. Therefore I complied a list of things that makes a city enjoyable for Black Americans and what we tend to look for in moving to a city. Of course we're not monolithic but again I've seen these themes all across the board state to state for years to somewhat gauge what most people consider while choosing a city. I also complied a list of cities that have a significant Black population, culture,economy, and progression for that Black community. Out of the list of CITIES, which one would you say is the best option for a general black family based off the things Black Americans generally look for in a city?

Things Black Americans generally consider when looking for a citynot in any order)
1.Cost of Living
2.Economy
3.Significant Black population
4.Prominent Black culture
5.Favorable Median Household income
6.High home ownership rate
7. Highly rated diverse schools
8.Racial climate
9.Black businesses
10.Dating scene
11.Nightlife
12.Diverse Black social scene
13.Safe diverse or predominately Black communities

List of cities/metros in no particular order:
1.Atlanta
2.Washington D.C.
3.Houston
4.New York City
5.Charlotte
6.Dallas-Ft.Worth
7.Orlando
8.Raleigh-Durham
9.Chicago
10.Richmond,VA
11.Los Angeles
12.Austin
13.Miami
14.Baltimore
15.Memphis
16.Columbus,OH
17.San Antonio

Again i'm not saying that these cities are the best of the best but the ones I often see on list such as these.
Replace Memphis and Baltimore with Nashville and Boston.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:38 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,107,822 times
Quote:

Memphis isn't that bad and generally gets somewhat a bad rep.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:40 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,107,822 times
Add Jackson MS to the list for home ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City