Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Seattle surpass these cities in the next several years?
Yes 32 26.23%
No 64 52.46%
Only a few, but not all of them (explain) 26 21.31%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:33 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,406,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Nike invented a new TYPE of sneakers specifically designed for runners, and dominated in an unprecedented way.

Starbucks popularized a certain type of coffee shop, to the extent that cities like London have been awash in "Seattle Coffee" brand knockoffs.

Both of these are considered a given in the business world. Maybe not to random people on the interwebs.
Nike didn't invent a new type of shoe, they distributed Japanese running shoes to the US market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 01:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Nike didn't invent a new type of shoe, they distributed Japanese running shoes to the US market.

pre nike, Addidas and puma seemed to be selling a lot of shoes

Nike was another marketing success story more than anything, again not to diminish the great companies to come out of Seattle but these explanations of inventing things are a bit silly

I do love me some Kirkland brand though ha and the 1.50 hot dogs

Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 PM

8,914 posts, read 6,944,490 times
They started that way, but quickly switched to inventing their own shoes and selling those.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:49 PM

2,309 posts, read 1,728,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

reading some of this I am pretty convinced there are many people who may have never left the PNW or West Coast

That's how I feel about people East of the Mississippi. I grew up in California and had no connection to Seattle until I moved there in 2005. From a California perspective, Seattle was HUGE culturally in the 1990s. It was the cool city among young White people. Even Seinfeld had a joke "Everyone's moving to Seattle. It's the Pesto of cities" referring to its trendiness.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
pre nike, Addidas and puma seemed to be selling a lot of shoes

Nike was another marketing success story more than anything, again not to diminish the great companies to come out of Seattle but these explanations of inventing things are a bit silly

I do love me some Kirkland brand though ha and the 1.50 hot dogs
Some companies have more of a cultural impact than others - I think it's difficult to deny that Amazon and Starbucks have had a significant cultural impact.

Don't you remember where Dr. Evil's headquarters were?

https://i.redd.it/lituc0zbi4m21.jpg

Old 01-06-2020, 02:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Some companies have more of a cultural impact than others - I think it's difficult to deny that Amazon and Starbucks have had a significant cultural impact.

Don't you remember where Dr. Evil's headquarters were?

https://i.redd.it/lituc0zbi4m21.jpg

ok now you convinced me

must be the sharks with lasers

Old 01-06-2020, 03:40 PM

14,301 posts, read 9,184,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's about right. Coffee shops existed but they weren't mass produced. There were mostly two types:
1. Artisan shops full of bohemians. Possibly with poetry readings.

2. Crappy coffee at doughnut shops.

Also, the cuisine (I'll use that word) was very different. People ordered cappuccinos, and there was chocolate, but nothing like today.

Also coffee at sit-down restaurants was mostly the same crap you got at the doughnut shops. Today the standard for any type of coffee outlet is higher.
I also STR that Starbucks burst onto the scene around the time American households were switching from percolators to drip coffeemakers with filters to brew coffee at home. That's when they discovered the Maxwell House they had been drinking really wasn't "good to the last drop."

I believe the big coffee roasters began to reduce the percentage of Robusta beans in their coffee around that time as well, and for this reason.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:09 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,440,147 times
it seems odd to include corporations as an example of a city's *cultural* influence.

in that case, Atlanta and Bentonville, AR are some of the most influential cities in the world because of Coca Cola and Walmart respectively.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:18 PM

36 posts, read 31,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
nawww, they definitely hang out in parking lots/Dunks in urban areas of MA. I've seen them here in the Howard street Dunks in Baltimore too.
I'm pretty sure if the cops just camped out around every Dunkin in Massachusetts, they would catch the majority of drug deals in the state. Doesn't even have to be that urban either. There's a ton of shady activity going on in the Dunkins on the Cape and South Shore too.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
it seems odd to include corporations as an example of a city's *cultural* influence.

in that case, Atlanta and Bentonville, AR are some of the most influential cities in the world because of Coca Cola and Walmart respectively.
It depends on if the corporation is exporting an aspect of that city's culture and grew organically as part of that culture. In the case of Starbuck's, it's absolutely the case. Seattle has long been on the forefront of coffee culture in the US, largely due to the rainy weather for 6 months of the year. It's the reason that Tully's and Seattle's Best were also huge international coffee chains that came from Seattle. Like most mega-chains, these places severely dropped in quality once they expanded so dramatically, but Seattle still has hundreds of local roasters and mini-coffee chains that are top notch and the culture remains strong and cutting-edge.

Overall though, it's Seattle's rich musical legacy (which I've covered in painful detail in previous posts) that has had the strongest cultural impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City