Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Seattle surpass these cities in the next several years?
Yes 32 26.23%
No 64 52.46%
Only a few, but not all of them (explain) 26 21.31%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 01:19 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Certainly it has some synergy with Portland which is a mere 2hr45min away, no?
Friendly rivalry, but the synergy is there. People frequently travel between them. Notions of Seattle having synergy with no other city are hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
mans shouting "GRUUNGE!" into the wind forreal.. smh

If you gotta "remind" everyone how influential grunge was/is in 1992 maybe- just maybe- its not that influential in 2020 and Seattle has the more important contributions and you could work those angles?..no?
I don't have to "remind everyone" - there are 2-3 posters on this thread who were born after the fact and live on the opposite corner of the country that needed a history lesson.

And again, we're talking about history and legacy here - my point was never that Grunge is somehow more influential than hip-hop from Atlanta in 2020. I'm saying its cultural impact - its "cultural importance", as stated in the OP - in the big picture was greater and more influential.

I'd say the same about artists like Biggie and Tupac and the places they represented - they had a much bigger cultural impact than any rapper today will in the big picture. And that's largely because everything has become so splintered with so many sub-cultures and ways of consuming music that it's much harder to sell as many records or have anywhere near the same type of cultural impact as it was in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 01-08-2020 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-08-2020, 04:48 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Seattle is showing that VC is NOT completely necessary to boom like crazy, even just in tech. We're booming due to #2 engineering offices for a vast array of tech companies, and because BOTH of the largest tech HQs in the US (by staff count or payroll) are here. None of this is dependent on VC.

As for synergy, Seattle has close relationships with both Vancouver and Portland.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:24 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
mans shouting "GRUUNGE!" into the wind forreal.. smh

If you gotta "remind" everyone how influential grunge was/is in 1992 maybe- just maybe- its not that influential in 2020 and Seattle has the more important contributions and you could work those angles?..no?
Had to chime in, yeah other angles. The 90's still, influential culturally? Well, not really but this was the *** in high school back in the 90's. Seattle gave us Sir Mix-A-Lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53ZSxkQ3Ho

Old 01-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Had to chime in, yeah other angles. The 90's still, influential culturally? Well, not really but this was the *** in high school back in the 90's. Seattle gave us Sir Mix-A-Lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53ZSxkQ3Ho
Ha - yeah, almost forgot that was also the early 90s. I agree it was not necessarily culturally influential, but it had its moment in the sun. As a 12-year-old living in California at that time I just remember everyone was surprised that Seattle actually had any rap music at all. We just pictured it as nothing but Grunge bands. It was equivalent to a popular rock song coming from a band based in Compton.

Last edited by Vincent_Adultman; 01-08-2020 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 03:02 PM

I just had to note - for the couple of people saying Grunge has no modern relevance. There's a Reddit group called "Grunge: The Seattle Sound" that currently has over 25,000 members. It includes people discussing and posting grunge songs as well as younger people (as in, people who look under 20) posting their own cover versions of popular grunge songs. That to me is the definition of still influential and still relevant - and the fact that "The Seattle Sound" is in the title of the group shows how strongly Seattle was associated with Grunge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grunge/

Old 01-09-2020, 03:47 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I just had to note - for the couple of people saying Grunge has no modern relevance. There's a Reddit group called "Grunge: The Seattle Sound" that currently has over 25,000 members. It includes people discussing and posting grunge songs as well as younger people (as in, people who look under 20) posting their own cover versions of popular grunge songs. That to me is the definition of still influential and still relevant - and the fact that "The Seattle Sound" is in the title of the group shows how strongly Seattle was associated with Grunge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/grunge/
I don't disagree that Seattle is associated with Grunge, I disagree that it's as associated with grunge as other music genres. Beach Boys had the word California/Surfin/Beach in literally every song. Rap as i'm sure you know like country is all about reppin where your from. "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Heart Shaped Box" doesn't mention a single thing that screams "Seattle" compared to other Rock and 99% of Rap Genres. Grunge to Seattle is like Modern Rap to Miami or Beyonce to Houston- you have a ton of popular Florida artists just as popular as the Georgia artists at the time but noone associates modern Rap with Miami outside of Rolling Loud and the simple fact that many good or popular artists are from the area or the next major city over. With Beyonce she reps Houston but it isn't even comparable to her contemporaries of Travis and Megan Thee Stallion.

Maybe where you are raised is what is influencing you. You where at the heart of the geographical impact of Grunge music.

Grunge was never "global". What I mean by that is in the 90s compared to anytime in the last 5 years due to YouTube, Twitter, Instagram etcetera, world music has merged significantly with American music in a short space. Rap and Rock are treated the same in Nigeria. American music that generally was seen as foreign and niche, until 5 years or so ago. Davido a Nigerian-American led the revolution he wasn't necessarily rapping but because of his influence we saw the first non-Nigerian style of music trending and the first Trap EP by Rema was number 1 in the country for a relatively short while.

Grunge inspired America and it is obviously associated with Seattle even the Wikipedia mentions Seattle in the first sentence, but the fact that the death of one artist killed the entire music scene. Also the fact that it stayed a mostly American thing and even saying it reached Europe is arguable when you compare it to the impact of Trap.

Hell the most famous Seattle musician under the age of 30 is probably Lil Mosey a trap artist. Their might be a pop artist bigger than him but I don't know any Rock Bands from the area getting ore views.

Trap is so dominant you literally see elements of Trap in country music itself. Grunge's impact was certainly powerful, I still see more Nirvana shirts in Houston than literally any other band, even more Nirvana than Astroworld and Hot Topic and Spencer's definitely seem to be inspired from Grunge culture at least partly. The cultural impact isn't as tied to Seattle as Trap is tied to Atlanta and maybe it's mostly because grunge isn't in the same era so it really couldn't compete but 80% of the world lives in Asia/Africa/Latin America and I don't know if their is an American music genre that is even close to as influential as trap in terms of reach.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:16 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Trap
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_music

Old 01-11-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I.

Grunge inspired America and it is obviously associated with Seattle even the Wikipedia mentions Seattle in the first sentence, but the fact that the death of one artist killed the entire music scene. Also the fact that it stayed a mostly American thing and even saying it reached Europe is arguable when you compare it to the impact of Trap.

Grunge's impact was certainly powerful, I still see more Nirvana shirts in Houston than literally any other band, even more Nirvana than Astroworld and Hot Topic and Spencer's definitely seem to be inspired from Grunge culture at least partly. The cultural impact isn't as tied to Seattle as Trap is tied to Atlanta and maybe it's mostly because grunge isn't in the same era so it really couldn't compete but 80% of the world lives in Asia/Africa/Latin America and I don't know if their is an American music genre that is even close to as influential as trap in terms of reach.
And there’s a reason you still see so many of those grunge band shirts - for an old genre that only lasted a few years it had immeasurable impact and staying power. It shifted the course of musical history. In terms of being global, Grunge was huge in Latin America, Europe, East Asia, and Australia, among other places.. For example only 25 million of the 75 million Nirvana albums sold were in the United States. Yes, it only lasted a few years but during that time those were the biggest bands in the world. And it produced several iconic singers - Kurt Cobain (RIP), Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell (RIP) and Layne Staley (RIP).

In terms of being associated with Seattle, as you yourself said Seattle is the first thing that comes up on the Grunge page. The 25K member Grunge Reddit group is called “Grunge: The Seattle Sound”. Also, I didn’t grow up in the Pacific Northwest - this **** was huge everywhere so it didn’t matter where you lived.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:53 AM

Location: New Orleans ⏩ Houston ⏩ Seattle ⏩ New Orleans ⏩ Houston ⏹
58 posts, read 43,910 times
Seattle is a beautiful prosperous city surrounded by picturesque countryside. It’s booming and the urban fabric it’s creating is cool to witness. It also has the nastiest weather I’ve ever witnessed in all my life travels. A two-month (generous) picture perfect summer cannot make up for what goes on the entire rest of the year. The depressing weather overpowers all the other things that are going on here. I cannot wait to leave here. I’m sure the weather will eventually turn others off to this locale as well.

All that said, I do see the Seattle-Tacoma metro eventually reaching the CURRENT Houston/Dallas/Atlanta/Miami population tier but no further. So I think it’ll max out at about ~6 mil metro while ATL/DTX/HTX/MIA will eventually grow even larger. Due to limited space and the linear layout, I don’t see the city itself much larger than 700-800k. Reputation wise, I think it’s already viewed as the same tier as the others even though it’s much smaller. It punches above its weight there.

Last edited by Datfiyah; 01-11-2020 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City