Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Seattle surpass these cities in the next several years?
Yes 32 26.23%
No 64 52.46%
Only a few, but not all of them (explain) 26 21.31%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 12:48 PM

968 posts, read 727,622 times

Advertisements

These rankings are all obviously subjective anyway. To me, it sits somewhere in that tier, although probably on the lower end right now. I do think it has more runway for future growth than most other cities, though.
If we project out the future impacts of climate change, well Miami, Boston and Philadelphia may have flooding issues (especially Miami) and Atlanta may have excessive heat & humidity issues. I expect that will ultimately slow the growth. Since Boston is otherwise well located it may just push growth inland a bit. Is that in 5-10 years, or 25 years, who knows...

But in its current form, Seattle sits comfortably within that tier from a national perspective but has a long way to go to "pass" all of those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 01:26 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Current American mainstream culture is mostly trash anyway.

I'll take my pumpkin latte, Amazon Prime, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Dave Matthews, Bruce Lee, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Death Cab.

Zero significance.... Right. So many things you now take for granted actually came from Seattle. Economic significance doesn't just happen in a vacuum.
Exactly

Old 09-30-2020, 01:48 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
Seattle claiming DM is a new one to me.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,174,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Current American mainstream culture is mostly trash anyway.

I'll take my pumpkin latte, Amazon Prime, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Dave Matthews, Bruce Lee, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Death Cab.

Zero significance.... Right. So many things you now take for granted actually came from Seattle. Economic significance doesn't just happen in a vacuum.

Not to mention all those out there that love their Costco membership, their TMobile USA service, their Nintendo USA gaming, their deals at Nordstrom Rack or Nordstrom itself. All those that use all Microsoft applications at their offices..... yeah, Seattle out of any city its size has a large influence on the nation.

Also, not 100% sure where DM was when they were at the height of their popularity, but Dave lives in Seattle.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
My high school in Seattle has had several former students with one-word name familiarity.

Bruce
Jimi
Macklemore
Quincy

Not everyone would get all those, but let's see:
--the most famous martial artist of all time
--arguably the most influential guitarist of all time
--a current major artist
--one of the most influential people in recent music history, with the second-most Grammys all time

Old 10-01-2020, 04:42 AM

14,187 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
My high school in Seattle has had several former students with one-word name familiarity.

Bruce
Jimi
Macklemore
Quincy

Not everyone would get all those, but let's see:
--the most famous martial artist of all time
--arguably the most influential guitarist of all time
--a current major artist
--one of the most influential people in recent music history, with the second-most Grammys all time
"Bruce" you really have to use last names with regardless, for while some of the other Bruces (in particular, Springsteen) may be better known by their last names, some will hear the first name and assume something else: besides Springsteen, there's Willis too.

The other three I'll allow.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,882,561 times
Ok, good point.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:07 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Bruce" you really have to use last names with regardless, for while some of the other Bruces (in particular, Springsteen) may be better known by their last names, some will hear the first name and assume something else: besides Springsteen, there's Willis too.

Bruce Lee would've kicked both of the other Bruce's butts

Old 10-01-2020, 12:55 PM

365 posts, read 230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Economically Seattle will surpass Miami/Atlanta/Philly but culturally, it has nearly zero significance in the American mainstream.
Are you joking? That is just straight ignorance. Seattle is one of the most culturally impactful medium-sized cities in the country.

Ever hear of Grunge Music? Kurt Cobain? Jimi Hendrix? Starbucks and mainstream coffee culture? Microsoft, Amazon and tech culture? The WTO protests that basically started the modern version of Antifa? Boeing which defined commercial air travel as we know it? Movies that focus on Seattle as a cultural hub like Singles and Sleepless in Seattle? Bruce Lee? The list goes on and on.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:21 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

And Jimi is only recognizable when written, not when spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City