Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Seattle surpass these cities in the next several years?
Yes 32 26.23%
No 64 52.46%
Only a few, but not all of them (explain) 26 21.31%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 02:31 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,429,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
Are you joking? That is just straight ignorance. Seattle is one of the most culturally impactful medium-sized cities in the country.

Ever hear of Grunge Music? Kurt Cobain? Jimi Hendrix? Starbucks and mainstream coffee culture? Microsoft, Amazon and tech culture? The WTO protests that basically started the modern version of Antifa? Boeing which defined commercial air travel as we know it? Movies that focus on Seattle as a cultural hub like Singles and Sleepless in Seattle? Bruce Lee? The list goes on and on.
Seattle has little impact culturally. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 02:40 PM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I'd have to definitely disagree, the poster you quoted had some solid reasoning. Even just Greys Anatomy and the Seahawks being as popular as they are... Seattle Fire too

Old 10-01-2020, 02:49 PM

2,307 posts, read 1,720,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Yeah, I guess that’s why Seattle currently has the fourth most votes in the “most impactful music cities” poll on this forum.

Or why it shows up on nearly every “Most influential American music cities” list you can find.

https://www.cultureowl.com/miami/blo...ties-in-the-us

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...ies-in-the-us/

Or why 7 out of the 10 most played rock songs during the last decade were by bands from Seattle:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ni...e-past-decade/

Heck - there is even an article titled “10 great American music cities that aren’t NYC, LA, Nashville, Austin or Seattle

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/tips/1...tle-or-austin/

And that’s just music. Seattle punches way above its weight in several other categories of cultural influence. Just because you’re not aware of something in your bubble doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:01 PM

365 posts, read 231,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I'd have to definitely disagree, the poster you quoted had some solid reasoning. Even just Greys Anatomy and the Seahawks being as popular as they are... Seattle Fire too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Yeah, I guess that’s why Seattle currently has the fourth most votes in the “most impactful music cities” poll on this forum.

Or why it shows up on nearly every “Most influential American music cities” list you can find.

https://www.cultureowl.com/miami/blo...ties-in-the-us

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...ies-in-the-us/

Or why 7 out of the 10 most played rock songs during the last decade were by bands from Seattle:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ni...e-past-decade/

Heck - there is even an article titled “10 great American music cities that aren’t NYC, LA, Nashville, Austin or Seattle

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/tips/1...tle-or-austin/

And that’s just music. Seattle punches way above its weight in several other categories of cultural influence. Just because you’re not aware of something in your bubble doesn’t mean it isn’t true.
Thank you. Am I saying its cultural impact is as big as NYC or LA? Of course not. But in terms of American cultural impact I'd put it just slightly behind Boston and just slightly ahead of Philly and Miami. Either way they're all very close. (International cultural impact is a different story - Miami surges way ahead of the others there)

Old 10-01-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Am I saying its cultural impact is as big as NYC or LA? Of course not. But in terms of American cultural impact I'd put it just slightly behind Boston and potentially slightly ahead of Philly and Miami. Either way they're all very close.(International cultural impact is a different story - Miami surges way ahead of the others there)
I'd say Miami and Philly are still just a little above Seattle, but heir all in the same tier. Boston is like half tier above mostly because of its economic output and its diverse economy. One thing we dont talk about much is the huge impact Boston has on the non-profit/philanthropic world. It might be the top city for that.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:47 PM

365 posts, read 231,597 times
Quote:
I'd say Miami and Philly are still just a little above Seattle, but heir all in the same tier. Boston is like half tier above mostly because of its economic output and its diverse economy. One thing we dont talk about much is the huge impact Boston has on the non-profit/philanthropic world. It might be the top city for that.
Yeah, on further thought I agree Boston is probably a bit more ahead than the others, especially also considering the many impacts all of its universities have on all kinds of things.

I still think Seattle's cultural exports (in terms of music, lifestyle, etc.) have had a bit more of an impact than Miami or Philly domestically. I was a teenager in a small town in the Midwest in the 90s and I remember everything that came out of Seattle was just automatically considered cool. It had a grip on pop culture. Of course I get that Miami and Philly are closer to the country's population center so more people have probably experienced those cities firsthand, but that doesn't mean their cultural impact has been greater.

Sidebar - I currently live in Albuquerque which is several tiers below all of these places. It has almost zero impact economically and its cultural impact is basically limited to Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. (Which I'm ok with since they are two of the best shows of all time.)

Old 10-01-2020, 03:49 PM

12,862 posts, read 9,608,354 times
Quote:
Frasier was a very popular show as well.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, on further thought I agree Boston is probably a bit more ahead than the others, especially also considering the many impacts all of its universities have on all kinds of things.

I still think Seattle's cultural exports (in terms of music, lifestyle, etc.) have had a bit more of an impact than Miami or Philly domestically. I was a teenager in a small town in the Midwest in the 90s and I remember everything that came out of Seattle was just automatically considered cool. It had a grip on pop culture. Of course I get that Miami and Philly are closer to the country's population center so more people have probably experienced those cities firsthand, but that doesn't mean their cultural impact has been greater.

Sidebar - I currently live in Albuquerque which is several tiers below all of these places. It has almost zero impact economically and its cultural impact is basically limited to Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul. (Which I'm ok with since they are two of the best shows of all time.)
Seattle has always come off as the ultimate liberal white Gen X "cool city But Ive heard lots of people of all backgrounds speak highly of it.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Frasier was a very popular show as well.
Oddly my mom loved Frasier-it was like Girfriends, a bunch of BET/TVOne shows and the Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier lol.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:22 PM

12,862 posts, read 9,608,354 times
Quote:
Oddly my mom loved Frasier-it was like Girfriends, a bunch of BET/TVOne shows and the Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier lol.
Oddly nothing. I loved Frasier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City