Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Seattle surpass these cities in the next several years?
Yes 32 26.23%
No 64 52.46%
Only a few, but not all of them (explain) 26 21.31%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 08:41 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
Prior to Starbucks, there were very few dedicated coffee shop chains in the US, certainly very few people were willing to pay more than $1 for coffee. It changed American culture and acceptance for expensive, consistent coffee with a lot of choice and providing a sort of reliable, safe and easily accessible meeting space in a community. The latter is a huge contribution to the cultural fabric of American communities across the country. It ain't just about coffee.

I don't understand why some people are so sensitive to the statement that Seattle has done well for a city of its size and has contributed significantly to America's economy and impacted its culture in subtle but pervasive ways, despite an MSA population that is about the same size as Tampa, San Diego and Minneapolis.

Population size isn't everything.
Cafes have existed literally forever. Starbucks did not invent or popularize the concept.

That’s like saying Portland made sneakers popular because of Nike.

I’m not saying they haven’t impacted America but sure Seattle spawned Nirvana, Minneapolis Prince, Minnesotans were largely responsible for The Miricle on Ice, And is the face of American Hockey while Seattle May have an outsized impact on Outdoorsmanship etc.

Seattle has Nordstrom’s Minneapolis Target,

Last edited by btownboss4; 01-05-2020 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
Seattle (King County) number of overnight visitors: 21.3 million
Miami (Miami-Dade County) number of overnight visitors: 16.5 million

You can Google these numbers to confirm.
Those sound like apples vs. kumquats. Miami is without question a bigger tourism destination.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Areosmith, the Cars, Boston, J. Giels.

Areosmith alone sold 3x the records in the US as Nirvana.
Boston is rock and I am no fan of either but even I know that.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Cafes have existed literally forever. Starbucks did not invent or popularize the concept.

That’s like saying Portland made sneakers popular because of Nike.
Nike invented a new TYPE of sneakers specifically designed for runners, and dominated in an unprecedented way.

Starbucks popularized a certain type of coffee shop, to the extent that cities like London have been awash in "Seattle Coffee" brand knockoffs.

Both of these are considered a given in the business world. Maybe not to random people on the interwebs.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Those sound like apples vs. kumquats. Miami is without question a bigger tourism destination.
I agree.I dont get how this can be true. Miami weather compared to Seattle is enough even without the beaches. Look at Phoenix

Old 01-05-2020, 08:51 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Nike invented a new TYPE of sneakers specifically designed for runners, and dominated in an unprecedented way.

Starbucks popularized a certain type of coffee shop, to the extent that cities like London have been awash in "Seattle Coffee" brand knockoffs.

Both of these are considered a given in the business world. Maybe not to random people on the interwebs.
Nike does not Dominate it’s about 15% larger than the 2nd largest footwear company, which isn’t much larger than the 3rd largest.

Starbucks isn’t particularly innovative it’s just a well run buisness

Old 01-05-2020, 08:51 PM

I'm not talking about which is more interesting. I mean that Miami is a major global destination, and Seattle (where I live) is second tier as a destination.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Nike does not Dominate it’s about 15% larger than the 2nd largest footwear company, which isn’t much larger than the 3rd largest.
Look at my post. I said "dominated." They revolutionized an industry. Also I meant running shoes.

As for Starbucks, that's your claim. You weren't around in the 1990s (apparently).

Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Im not saying you are lying but this just doesnt seem accurate. Could you post where you got this info?
It appears to be what the individual tourist boards are putting out there, which of course mean not necessarily apples-to-apples. And on that note, Seattle says $7 billion was spent by tourists while Dade County says around $18 billion were spent. I’d probably wonder if much of Seattle’s overnight visits weren’t simply business-related. Incidentally there was another 20 million or so visitors to the two other counties in the Miami metro region. South Florida is doing fine tourism-wise compared to all but a small handful of metros.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
It appears to be what the individual tourist boards are putting out there, which of course mean not necessarily apples-to-apples. And on that note, Seattle says $7 billion was spent by tourists while Dade County says around $18 billion were spent. I’d probably wonder if much of Seattle’s overnight visits weren’t simply business-related. Incidentally there was another 20 million or so visitors to the two other counties in the Miami metro region. South Florida is doing fine tourism-wise compared to all but a small handful of metros.
Thanks for the clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City