Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Seattle surpass these cities in the next several years?
Yes 32 26.23%
No 64 52.46%
Only a few, but not all of them (explain) 26 21.31%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 10:39 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cafes have existed literally forever. Starbucks did not invent or popularize the concept.

That’s like saying Portland made sneakers popular because of Nike.

I’m not saying they haven’t impacted America but sure Seattle spawned Nirvana, Minneapolis Prince, Minnesotans were largely responsible for The Miricle on Ice, And is the face of American Hockey while Seattle May have an outsized impact on Outdoorsmanship etc.

Seattle has Nordstrom’s Minneapolis Target,
Seattle spawned Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Heart, Quincy Jones, etc - are you kidding me trying to compare that to Minneapolis? Also, besides Aerosmith Boston’s resume is pretty weak as well. Seriously, you listed the band Boston?! They were a random AOR band that wasn’t part of a pop culture movement like Grunge or revolutionized guitar playing like Jimi Hendrix.

You’re desperate to degrade Seattle’s cultural contribution but unless you were living under a rock or not born yet in the 1990s you’d know the city dominated that decade’s culture. I didn’t live in Seattle at that time and I knew that. There were jokes about it on Seinfeld “Seattle is the pesto of cities, it’s very trendy”. And that’s because so much cultural contribution with things like music, coffee, etc. Also, in terms of companies - Nordstrom, Costco, Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, etc. Very impactful companies that affect people’s lives everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 11:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Seattle spawned Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Heart, Quincy Jones, etc - are you kidding me trying to compare that to Minneapolis? Also, besides Aerosmith Boston’s resume is pretty weak as well. Seriously, you listed the band Boston?! They were a random AOR band that wasn’t part of a pop culture movement like Grunge or revolutionized guitar playing like Jimi Hendrix.

You’re desperate to degrade Seattle’s cultural contribution but unless you were living under a rock or not born yet in the 1990s you’d know the city dominated that decade’s culture. I didn’t live in Seattle at that time and I knew that. There were jokes about it on Seinfeld “Seattle is the pesto of cities, it’s very trendy”. And that’s because so much cultural contribution with things like music, coffee, etc. Also, in terms of companies - Nordstrom, Costco, Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, etc. Very impactful companies that affect people’s lives everywhere.
I get where he is going with the Prince thing.Prince created the Minneapolis Sound which begat a lot of artist like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis who produced and gave Janet Jackson her break to stardom among others. Not saying its the same but its not too much of a stretch as that connection is still alive in music being played on the radio today.

As far as Boston I to think you are wrong.
Boston gave us
The New Kids on the Black
New Edition
Bobby Brown
Gang Star
Guru
Extreme
As far as companies go Boston companies are the companies that help get companies off the ground around the world. Bain abd Boston Consulting are powerhouses known to every large scale business

Old 01-06-2020, 04:08 AM

36 posts, read 31,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Im not saying you are lying but this just doesnt seem accurate. Could you post where you got this info?
Like I said a quick Google search can confirm, but here it is:

Miami-Dade 16.5 million overnight visitors
https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/pres...rmance-in-2018

Seattle King County 21.3 million overnight visitors
https://visitseattle.org/press/press...itors-in-2018/

These are both 2018 county data, the counties are both similar size to each other.

This doesn't seem accurate to you because your perception of Seattle along with several others in this thread is a bit skewed or misinformed. Come visit the city next time! There are 3 national parks within 2 hour drive of downtown Seattle. Vancouver and the fantastic parks in BC are close by too.

Last edited by probseattle; 01-06-2020 at 04:38 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 04:48 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post

No it’s just that you are seriously stretching what is a contribution to American culture. Nordstrom’s is not. If someone said “Boston is so pervasive in American culture, Bose is based there” people would be very confused.

Not even kidding Areosmith alone sold more records than all those bands combined. Also Donna Summer was larger than any of those acts too. That “Random rock Band” Boston sold more records than Nirvana by the way.

Grunge is not equal to Motown or something it was relatively niche.

I am not saying Seattle is irrelevant but if you look at the cities larger than it it falls short of them. It’s not as Iconic as Dallas, Detroit, or Boston or Atlanta. I guess if you count Phoenix it punches above it’s weight but that’s basically it.

It’s likr when people say “Cleveland feels like a much larger city” but there really isn’t s city larger than it that it feels larger than.

Also you have to understand culture is cumulative. Because of that you can make a pretty good argument Concord, Mass is more culturally significant than Boise ID or even Raleigh, NC

Last edited by btownboss4; 01-06-2020 at 05:12 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 05:02 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,028,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
Like I said a quick Google search can confirm, but here it is:

Miami-Dade 16.5 million overnight visitors
https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/pres...rmance-in-2018

Seattle King County 21.3 million overnight visitors
https://visitseattle.org/press/press...itors-in-2018/

These are both 2018 county data, the counties are both similar size to each other.

This doesn't seem accurate to you because your perception of Seattle along with several others in this thread is a bit skewed or misinformed. Come visit the city next time! There are 3 national parks within 2 hour drive of downtown Seattle. Vancouver and the fantastic parks in BC are close by too.
Atlanta gets over 50 million and I know thats not mostly tourist so Im not too surprised when I put it in context. No way Seattle numbers are more tourist than business although it could be equal amounts of both unlike Miami which is overwhelmingly pleasure tourist.
In the end it doesnt matter as long more money is coming in so good for Seattle's economy

Old 01-06-2020, 05:09 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Default I

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I get where he is going with the Prince thing.Prince created the Minneapolis Sound which begat a lot of artist like Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis who produced and gave Janet Jackson her break to stardom among others. Not saying its the same but its not too much of a stretch as that connection is still alive in music being played on the radio today.

As far as Boston I to think you are wrong.
Boston gave us
The New Kids on the Black
New Edition
Bobby Brown
Gang Star
Guru
Extreme
As far as companies go Boston companies are the companies that help get companies off the ground around the world. Bain abd Boston Consulting are powerhouses known to every large scale business
Don’t forget:
Donna Summer
Aerosmith
Jidenna
Boston
Ed OG
the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
the Pixies
Marky Mark
Joyner Lucas
Drop kick Murphy’s
JoJo
Tavares
The G Clefs (way back)

And various smaller rap acts (Benzino, Cousin Stizz, The Perceptionsist/Akrobatik and Chilla Jones)

Minneapolis has Prince, Mint Condition, Terry Lewis and Jimmy Jam, Morris Day and the Time and a few more very good RnB acts. I believe Lizzo was raised in Minnesota for 5-10 years.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 01-06-2020 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Those sound like apples vs. kumquats. Miami is without question a bigger tourism destination.
Visitor stats often don't break out business vs. leisure travel.

I suspect Seattle gets more business travelers than Miami does and that they make up a larger share of the total visitor traffic.

Old 01-06-2020, 06:57 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
Prior to Starbucks, there were very few dedicated coffee shop chains in the US,
Dunkin Donuts is older, and Au Bon Pain was founded at around the same time.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No it’s just that you are seriously stretching what is a contribution to American culture. Nordstrom’s is not. If someone said “Boston is so pervasive in American culture, Bose is based there” people would be very confused.

Not even kidding Areosmith alone sold more records than all those bands combined. Also Donna Summer was larger than any of those acts too. That “Random rock Band” Boston sold more records than Nirvana by the way.

Grunge is not equal to Motown or something it was relatively niche.

I am not saying Seattle is irrelevant but if you look at the cities larger than it it falls short of them. It’s not as Iconic as Dallas, Detroit, or Boston or Atlanta. I guess if you count Phoenix it punches above it’s weight but that’s basically it.

It’s likr when people say “Cleveland feels like a much larger city” but there really isn’t s city larger than it that it feels larger than.

Also you have to understand culture is cumulative. Because of that you can make a pretty good argument Concord, Mass is more culturally significant than Boise ID or even Raleigh, NC
Culture is only cumulative up to a point. When it stops collaboration with the present, it becomes history.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM

36 posts, read 31,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Dunkin Donuts is older, and Au Bon Pain was founded at around the same time.
Dude I'm from Boston, I know what Dunkin Donuts was like before Starbucks became big across the country. It was nothing like Dunkin Donuts today. Even today, only drug addicts agree to meet and hangout at Dunkin Donuts. The cultural function is totally different from that of Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City