Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 12:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
even if Philadelphia lacks a craft brewer the size of Samuel Adams
It’s not even just Sam Adams. Before anything, add their subsidiaries: Truly, Angry Orchard, Dogfish Head, and Twisted Tea.

After those, add Harpoon, Night Shift, Lord Hobo, Mighty Squirrel, Cisco, Tree House, Jack’s Abby, Trillium, Downeast, Lamplighter, Castle Island, etc.

There are plenty of even more outstanding yet obscure breweries, cider houses, and meaderies scattered throughout the metro area and region.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-25-2023 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 05:32 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
It’s not even just Sam Adams. Before anything, add their subsidiaries: Truly, Angry Orchard, Dogfish Head, and Twisted Tea.

After those, add Harpoon, Night Shift, Lord Hobo, Mighty Squirrel, Cisco, Tree House, Jack’s Abby, Trillium, Downeast, Lamplighter, Castle Island, etc.

There are plenty of even more outstanding yet obscure breweries, cider houses, and meaderies scattered throughout the metro area and region.
Well, if you're talking about where the brewery is located, one of those is in Lewes, Del. — the one I boldfaced. (Its brewery is now located in Milton.)

It seems to me that the practice among craft breweries is to count them according to the city the brewery calls home, not the corporate owner's headquarters. Were it the latter, Goose Island would be counted towards St. Louis and São Paulo, and Boulevard would be counted towards Antwerp. (Instead, they count towards Chicago and Kansas City, respectively.)

Your last sentence applies equally here. I'm also friends with the owner of another craft brewery, which brews its beer at the facility of another craft brewery in Bensalem. Phoenixville Borough has 13 craft brewers and brewpubs lining its main downtown street, which I think makes it the town with more breweries per capita than any other in the Commonwealth.

There may be more beer brewed in and around Boston overall, or the breweries may own more capacity (in the case of Sam Adams), but I'm not sure the phrase "blows it out of the water" applies relative to Philadelphia, at least not anymore. (According to this article from our regional tourism promotion agency, there are 116 craft brewers producing beer in the five-county Southeastern Pennsylvania region. This list leaves out Southern New Jersey* and Wilmington, both also part of the Philadelphia metro area. Historic note: This city is also where the first lager beer in America was brewed, according to legend; a state historical marker in Northern Liberties marks the site where it was brewed. Ironically, Ortlieb's, one of the city's larger breweries in the pre-craft era, had its brew house right next to the marker. It went out of business in the 1980s; its tasting room survives as a music venue.)

*One of the region's larger craft brewers is Flying Fish Brewing Co., located in Cherry Hill and known for its "Exit Series" of beers. (To get to the brewery, use New Jersey Turnpike Exit 4.) On the back of its delivery trucks is this legend: "Proudly brewed in New Jersey. You got a problem with that?"

Old 11-25-2023, 11:24 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not really, (also subjective much?), a few replies...

1. Both are very historic, but Philadelphia and Boston function differently, and they are more or less peer cities in terms of big city living, which doesn't align with the definition of a poor man's version.

2. My least favorite statement on CD: "City X blows City Y out of the water". You are comparing Boston and Philadelphia, not Boston and Tupelo. They are both huge dynamic cities anchored by top-notch metropolitan regions.

3. I was raised outside of Philadelphia, there is no sense of "wanting to be NYC", perhaps you confuse that with the annoyance of being overshadowed by NYC? Philadelphia (like Boston) is an independent and prideful city.

4. Philadelphia has a sense of humor, look at the sports mascots and popular culture.

Anyways, for the purpose of this thread, Philadelphia functions as a super scaled down and affordable version of NYC. The best comparison for Boston is Providence.
The thread is subjective.

Thank you for illustrating my exact thoughts about Philadelphia. You did a wonderful job.

Old 11-25-2023, 12:20 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The thread is subjective.

Thank you for illustrating my exact thoughts about Philadelphia. You did a wonderful job.
I thought their post was even keeled and informative. Yours were a bit emotional

Old 11-25-2023, 12:36 PM

230 posts, read 286,077 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwqXQr-UFM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fcziw7helVg

Old 11-25-2023, 01:25 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times
It's ironic that a poster from Boston is calling out Philly for having an inferiority complex towards New York.

The only instances people get upset at NYC are whenever people try to diminish Philly by labeling it as "diet New York" or a NYC company tries to use its name in a brand within the city. Other than that most people have a neutral or positive view of NYC. That's not the case with Boston at all. I have seen people on this site say Bostonians go to great lengths to avoid visiting NYC because they believe it's such a major step down from Boston in all facest. if Philly has an inferiority complex, then Boston has a superiority complex.

Old 11-25-2023, 02:31 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
It's ironic that a poster from Boston is calling out Philly for having an inferiority complex towards New York.

The only instances people get upset at NYC are whenever people try to diminish Philly by labeling it as "diet New York" or a NYC company tries to use its name in a brand within the city. Other than that most people have a neutral or positive view of NYC. That's not the case with Boston at all. I have seen people on this site say Bostonians go to great lengths to avoid visiting NYC because they believe it's such a major step down from Boston in all facest. if Philly has an inferiority complex, then Boston has a superiority complex.
No doubt about it. Both cities have had their complexes toward NYC for the last 250 years. It's the creme between the cookies.

Old 11-25-2023, 03:29 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

"In New York, they ask of a man, 'How much has he made?' In Philadelphia, 'Who were his parents?' In Boston, 'What books has he read?'"

—Oliver Wendell Holmes, the poet, not the jurist. Both were Bostonians.

I wrote an article comparing the two cities for the Philadelphia Gay News shortly after arriving here in 1983. I think I made the same point about Bostonian arrogance. Having been called arrogant myself, I think I know it when I see it.

I do, however, recommend that people who move from Boston to Philadelphia read Penn sociologist E. Digby Baltzell's book comparing the two, Puritan Boston and Quaker Philadelphia. Both cities were "holy experiments," but the Bostonians saw theirs as creating a "shining city upon a hill" while William Penn wanted to establish a colony where people could be left alone to worship as they pleased. (Which is why one of the first things he did after establishing Pennaylvania was to invite German Anabaptists suffering religious persecution to settle in Pennsylvania, thus giving us both the Philadelphia neighborhood of Germantown and the "Pennsylvania Dutch" country.)

The leaving-people-alone part is inward- rather than outward-looking (like the vision of John Winthrop), and the two cities' elites have reflected the differing origins. (Trivia question: A statue of the same woman sits in front of the Massachusetts State House in Boston and the Friends Center/Philadelphia Yearly Meeting in Philadelphia. Who is this woman, and why have both cities seem fit to memorialize her?). In Baltzell's estimation, Philadelphia has done worse by its elites than Boston has done by its, but the people who come here from somewhere else — like Botonian Benjamin Franklin — have managed to shine their light brightly in the nurturing soil of Philadelphia freedom.

Old 11-25-2023, 03:33 PM

814 posts, read 442,633 times
I wonder what the city of Raleigh is a poor man's version of?

Having worked in Manhattan for 40 years, there's no comparison... both from the good years and more recently the bad ones.

But Raleigh has a lot going for it, in much smaller versions than other larger cities.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:31 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
I wonder what the city of Raleigh is a poor man's version of?

Having worked in Manhattan for 40 years, there's no comparison... both from the good years and more recently the bad ones.

But Raleigh has a lot going for it, in much smaller versions than other larger cities.
Raleigh is hard to place. The cities it's most alike are other Carolina cities. It also has some slight commonalities with DFW and Atlanta areas...

I have an affinity for the DFW/Triangle comp, so in that sense, Raleigh is a poor man's Dallas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City