Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most impressive construction boom?
Boston 17 16.50%
Montreal 15 14.56%
San Francisco 19 18.45%
Washington D.C. 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 08:12 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
And the seaport district is nowhere near it for Boston ...the 10 mill square ft site pitched for Amazon is still being developed (Suffolk Downs | Boston Planning & Development Agency) as is millions of sq ft all over the city of Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and beyond ..I’m not just going to list a million developments as I know can be done for every city in this poll..congrats on the growth of all these cities..I’m rooting for you all!
Agreed, we’re all over here debating first world issues at the end of the day. They are each booming in their own right. Likewise it would take me forever to try and compile a list and jot down everything, but let’s just say I voted DC in the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 08:15 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
https://ggwash.org/images/posts/201502-baltwash2.png

^This map shows Metro with the Purple and Silver Line extensions.

Union Station is undergoing an expansion to dramatically increase service (which I think DC is the 2nd or 3rd busiest rail station in US). VA passed a bill that Buys some tracks from CSX or something that will increase capacity by 75% on the commuter train with capacity increases starting as early as this year and more additions as the bridge over the Potomac is built (part of the CSX deal) allows more trains along with weekend service.

The silver line connects to Dulles airport, the purple line has some awesome stations. https://d1dph1psyatsfa.cloudfront.ne...fPLstation.png The purple line light rail station will be stacked over the heavy rail red line with a large bus hub and connected to some greenways and connected to the MARC commuter train station.

DC suburbs have mass transit most major cities fantasize over.
Yep, and the sad part is here in this region we’ve set the bar so high, that us locals are still here thinking man that’s not enough. Which in reality it isn’t, we can still do so much better than what’s already here or coming in the next few years.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DCs office space is highly inefficient vs SF and Boston. Well at least based in this old post.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/44837439-post1233.html
You're dividing by all workers in that post, not office workers, so DC being the least industrial region in the country is going to look higher on a per sq ft basis. You need to pare the worker count down in Boston and SF to account for office workers only. I've lived in all three cities, and no one builds office at just 70 sq ft per employee in any of them. The standard in all three is around 200 sq ft per desk.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:27 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
This is all silly. For all the praise about Boston's Seaport here, it's a really sterile place where a 3 bdrm 2000 sqft condo is $5+ million and the condo fee is over $3k/mo. All the retail are chains like Lululemon, LL Bean mixed in with some beer gardens. It gets old real quick.

Construction booms that help the city residents are subway expansions, better urban parks, more bridges and tunnels, more museums, etc. Ultra luxurious condo boxes marketed to foreigners and the 1% of one percenters are not exactly my cup of tea.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:51 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
This is all silly. For all the praise about Boston's Seaport here, it's a really sterile place where a 3 bdrm 2000 sqft condo is $5+ million and the condo fee is over $3k/mo. All the retail are chains like Lululemon, LL Bean mixed in with some beer gardens. It gets old real quick.
True, but not that much different from Navy Yard DC or Mission Bay SF. New places with lots of new construction aren't going to have old neighborhood hangouts.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:

Construction booms that help the city residents are subway expansions, better urban parks, more bridges and tunnels, more museums, etc. Ultra luxurious condo boxes marketed to foreigners and the 1% of one percenters are not exactly my cup of tea.

I dunno about Boston, but all those new sterile places contribute to the overall vibrancy of the cities and provide revenue streams to get better parks and subway expansions.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:

The Seaport isnt that sterile at all. It get mixed in with the redone Fort Point Channel. If you look at the final plans for the Seaport... The architecture is much more intriguing. Just take a look at 88 Seaport Blvd or Echelon

And you have to realize, there is much more developable land right south of the Seaport in the Fort Point and Widdett Circle area, stretching down Dorchester Avenue from Broadway to Andrew.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:15 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I know Navy Yards is 1.37 sq. km and is a hair smaller than East Cambridge (land area wise)... but is expected to have 12 to 15,000,000 square feet (1,400,000 m2) of office space, 9,000 residential units, 1,200 hotel rooms, 800,000 square feet (74,000 m2) of retail space, four public parks when its all set and done.

The city is literally in the middle of building a second downtown
So I guess the answer to my question is “no”.

Judging by the Google Maps screenshot you shared in post #23, I don’t think you understand the scope or scale of development in the Seaport. If you don’t understand that, you probably don’t understand the scale of development in Cambridge either.

I’ll add for good measure that Boston’s tallest tower recently topped off and its future third tallest is currently UC. The tower that is currently fourth tallest, formerly third tallest, and will be fifth tallest was finished in 2016. There are many other towers UC as well. Yes, DC demonstrates well that good construction doesn’t have to be tall, but Boston has been building gangbusters both on both tall and short scales. The density of the area within ~1mile of City Hall has been exploding.

Here are some cool photos of the Seaport:
https://flic.kr/p/2i7z1uw
https://flic.kr/p/2hQLfEQ
https://flic.kr/p/2hx2JK7
https://flic.kr/p/2i6AyAE

Quote:
There are tons of popular bars and restaurants in the Seaport. They are generally pretty expensive, but you make it sound like the neighborhood isn’t a popular nightlife destination. Harpoon Brewery and the Convention Center are pretty big deals, too.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 01-18-2020 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-18-2020, 09:17 AM

118 posts, read 113,610 times
There's almost no chains in Navy Yard, significantly more local places than chains:

Somewhere
Rasa
Shilling Canning Company (restaurant)
Dacha
Big Stick
Scarlet Oak
Slipstream
Bluejacket Brewery
Chloe
Osteria Morini
Hatoba
Takorean
ABC Pony
Kruba Thai
Maialano Mare
District Winery
Ana
Roy Boys
Conte's Bike Shop
Steadfast Supply
The Juice Laundry
Willow

Old 01-18-2020, 09:24 AM

118 posts, read 113,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
https://ggwash.org/images/posts/201502-baltwash2.png

^This map shows Metro with the Purple and Silver Line extensions.

Union Station is undergoing an expansion to dramatically increase service (which I think DC is the 2nd or 3rd busiest rail station in US). VA passed a bill that Buys some tracks from CSX or something that will increase capacity by 75% on the commuter train with capacity increases starting as early as this year and more additions as the bridge over the Potomac is built (part of the CSX deal) allows more trains along with weekend service.

The silver line connects to Dulles airport, the purple line has some awesome stations. https://d1dph1psyatsfa.cloudfront.ne...fPLstation.png The purple line light rail station will be stacked over the heavy rail red line with a large bus hub and connected to some greenways and connected to the MARC commuter train station.

DC suburbs have mass transit most major cities fantasize over.
To follow-up on that transit map, this is a huge deal for transit in the DC area: "Virginia’s $3.7 billion rail plan called a ‘game changer.’ Here’s what we know about it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...776_story.html

That's all on top of the Silver and Purple lines!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City