Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most impressive construction boom?
Boston 17 16.50%
Montreal 15 14.56%
San Francisco 19 18.45%
Washington D.C. 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,326,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Maybe I’m missing something, but both looked smaller than the Seaport on google images. Boston has East Cambridge (including Kendall), too.

Got any stats on how the 4 areas compare?
I know Navy Yards is 1.37 sq. km and is a hair smaller than East Cambridge (land area wise)... but is expected to have 12 to 15,000,000 square feet (1,400,000 m2) of office space, 9,000 residential units, 1,200 hotel rooms, 800,000 square feet (74,000 m2) of retail space, four public parks when its all set and done.

The city is literally in the middle of building a second downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 10:55 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
The Seaport, Kendall Square, South End and Cambridge Crossing construction are all substantial/more substantial than Navy Yard in DC. Add in the 20+ high rises sprinkled in and all the infll, and I cant see why Boston hasnt beat out DC? I love DC but I really dont see the scale of dvlpmnt there like as boston has. Like I posted in the first comment above...

I get the Navy Yard is building a second downtown for DC but thats what the Seaport, Cambridge Xing,, South End and Causeway area/West End developments are doing.

One tower alone in Boston has 1 Million Square feet of Office Space and its neighboring tower has 400 units. Thats just one. The future and soon to start Suffolk Downs project on about 1sq kilometer will have atleast 10,000 residential units.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-17-2020 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-17-2020, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The Seaport, Kendall Square, South End and Cambridge Crossing construction are all substantial/more substantial than Navy Yard in DC. Add in the 20+ high rises sprinkled in and all the infll, and I cant see why Boston hasnt beat out DC? I love DC but I really dont see the scale of dvlpmnt there like as boston has. Like I posted in the first comment above...
Hard no... Navy Yards by itself is going to have the same office/residential space as NYC's Hudson Yards.

These types of projects are multi-billion/decade mega developments, not just throwing up a few +500' tower here and there. The only things even remotely approach Navy Yards or Hudson Yards that are shovel in the ground are Schuylkill Yards in Philly, Port Covington in Baltimore, South Works/Lakeside Project in Chicago

The other developments your mention are more in scope with The Warf, Buzzard Point or NoMa developments which by themselves are also multi-million square foot developments. DC infills better than any city other thats not names NYC or San Fran because of it's height restrictions, and those 20+ high rises mean nothing when there apartment buildings in DC that hold the same amount of units as 6-700' skyscrapers.

If we are adding Cambridge to Bostons development than its only fair to add Crystal City, Silver Spring, Bethesda & Arlington to DC. All of which are substantially less height restrictive and are building just as fast if not faster then DC.

Boston is simply not out building greater DC when the former had 13% population increase the last decade vs. DC's 17% increase.

Quote:
One tower alone in Boston has 1 Million Square feet of Office Space and its neighboring tower has 400 units. Thats just one. The future and soon to start Suffolk Downs project on about 1sq kilometer will have atleast 10,000 residential units.
Ugh... what makes you think DC's developments are any smaller by square footage or unit count? DC currently has 10 apartments U/C with 400 to 700 units in them. 8 of which are located in either Navy Yards, NoMa or Buzzard point.

Boston is simply not not out building DC when The Districts population is growing 25% faster... especially when the latter has far more oppressive height laws.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-18-2020 at 12:25 AM..

Old 01-17-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Hard no... Naval Yards by itself is going to have the same office/residential space as NYC's Hudson Yards. I haven't event started with The Warf, Buzzard Point or NoMa developments which by themselves are also multi-million square foot developments. DC infills better than any city other thats not names NYC or San Fran because of it's height restrictions, and those 20+ high rises mean nothing when there apartment buildings in DC that hold the same amount of units as 6-700' skyscrapers.

If we are adding Cambridge to Bostons development than its only fair to add Crystal City, Silver Spring, Bethesda & Arlington. All of which are substantially less height restrictive and are building just as fast if not faster then DC. can add Cambridge development.

Boston is not out building greater DC when the former had 13% population increase the last decade vs. DC's 17% increase.

Ugh... what makes you think DC's developments are any smaller by square footage or unit count?

Let me put it this way.. Boston 691' Millennium tower "only" has 442 units. DC currently has 10 apartments U/C with 400 to 700 units in them. 8 of which are located in either Navy Yards, NoMa or Buzzard point.
Im not saying just because Boston builds higher that its more supreme ... In any way. I just find it crazy that 76 buildings between 200 and 399ft were/are under construction in Boston-Cambridge-Somerville, and about 15 more over 400ft, and its lagging behind DC. I just think the Seaport alone going from parking lots to what it is today is remarkable enough.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Im not saying just because Boston builds higher that its more supreme ... In any way. I just find it crazy that 76 buildings between 200 and 399ft were/are under construction in Boston-Cambridge-Somerville, and about 15 more over 400ft, and its lagging behind DC. I just think the Seaport alone going from parking lots to what it is today is remarkable enough.
Again the buildings hold the same space, but unlike Boston... DC waste zero space.

There going to be built to the maximum allowed height and then try and cram as much people in as possible and because DC is growing 25% faster than Boston, it's understandably.

If we include Crystal City, Arlington, Silver Spring & Bethesda it's a brutal landslide in the Districts favor.

Last edited by Joakim3; 01-18-2020 at 12:33 AM..

Old 01-18-2020, 12:26 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Because despite the height disparity, DC's buildings hold just as much if not more people... and because it's population is growing faster it builds more.
DCs office space is highly inefficient vs SF and Boston. Well at least based in this old post.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/44837439-post1233.html

Old 01-18-2020, 12:28 AM

Yeah I just took a look at the developments. Rather bland in DC. Its a lot yes, and the DC Metro is outpacing greater Boston at a ratio of 23:17 in recent development but the gap is closing .. however, I dont find it all that attractive. 250 foot glass boxes. Meh

Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah I just took a look at the developments. Rather bland in DC. Its a lot yes, and the DC Metro is outpacing greater Boston at a ratio of 23:17 in recent development but the gap is closing .. however, I dont find it all that attractive. 250 foot glass boxes. Meh
Baring the Monuments, Museums & old row-homes/brownstones DC by large (or its metro) has never been the most architecturally pleasing city imho. Boston & Montreal would hands down win in that department.

Beautiful street layout, meh architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
DCs office space is highly inefficient vs SF and Boston. Well at least based in this old post.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/44837439-post1233.html
Does the labor force include active military/DoD/government workers?

But then again... the Pentagon exist... so I wouldn't put it past the district to build office space inefficiently

Old 01-18-2020, 05:19 AM

118 posts, read 113,667 times
I get the comments about DC's boring boxy architecture, but you might be surprised by some in Navy Yard:

https://www.jdland.com/dc/westhalf.cfm
(2nd pic down is the best view)

DC Water Main/O Street Pumping Stations - JDLand.com
(DC Water HQS along Anacostia river, shape and color meant to evoke the river)

https://estatedc.com/
(can't find a good pic so using the developers page, it's built and opening in the next ~month)

And for those that are skeptical about how much this one neighborhood is changing, check out these before/after sliders at our neighborhood blog:
https://www.jdland.com/dc/slidepics.cfm?old=y

Old 01-18-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancritic View Post
I get the comments about DC's boring boxy architecture, but you might be surprised by some in Navy Yard:

https://www.jdland.com/dc/westhalf.cfm
(2nd pic down is the best view)

DC Water Main/O Street Pumping Stations - JDLand.com
(DC Water HQS along Anacostia river, shape and color meant to evoke the river)

https://estatedc.com/
(can't find a good pic so using the developers page, it's built and opening in the next ~month)

And for those that are skeptical about how much this one neighborhood is changing, check out these before/after sliders at our neighborhood blog:
https://www.jdland.com/dc/slidepics.cfm?old=y
There are definitely nice ones, but it's harder to different your modern building, from the next one when everything is the same height, width, etc..

This is coming from a person who grew outside the district until '16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City